“Not just the meal, but everything French that made it memorable.”
Review of Le Darnetal

Le Darnetal
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
“Not just the meal, but everything French that made it memorable.”
Reviewed August 9, 2013

As per our preference for eating early we booked a table for seven. Arriving on the dot we were asked if we would like to have a drink whilst perusing the menu and would we like to sit at a pavement table. Yes and yes and in the evening sun, a lovely experience. Why so nice? I suppose the champagne cocktails (the house specials), unexpected plate of tasters certainly helped but it took an hour to choose from the menu.

The food is typically French and not influenced by any desire to attract tourists. It is French and you take it or leave it. One concession, there are menus with English sub titles.

The food was excellent both in quality and presentation. Served quickly, hot and with a smile.

You can be here for as long as you like as there is no pressure to order or to leave. You are left alone to enjoy the experience at your own pace.

Last thing, the staff here make you feel welcome and will find the time for you if you have any questions, not only about the food but also the town itself, something they are very proud of.

Visited August 2013

Poole, United Kingdom
“2nd visit - excellent dinner”
Reviewed July 17, 2013

The Darnetal is delicious food at a good price. The service is excellent. The family that run the restaurant are so helpful and I have recommended this restaurant to a chef friend of mine who agrees - wonderful French cuisine.

Visited July 2013
West Sussex U.K.
“Pretty much faultless”
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Went in a group of 9 and every one of us came away full of praise and of course, very good food.
Staff spoke English and could not have been more helpful. Quite an eccentric decor, looks like a truck carrying hats has careered into a bric-a-brac shop. But on to the food.....
Quite simply sensational.
Nine people having a pretty good roam around the menu saw everything from frogs legs to prawns flambeed in whisky (my choice of starter and has a dose of "wow factor" before you even pick up your fork!) and langoustine & crab gratin looked a good choice.
Chateaubriand and other steaks looked superb whilst my monkfish in a delicate spicy sauce was a treat.
Fair range of decent wines, all French from memory - and why not?
Cannot say it was cheap but not too overboard and if you remember the occasion and not the cost - then it's money well spent.
A great evening and a place to revisit without hesitation.

• Visited July 2013
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
“Our trip could not have been better”
Reviewed June 28, 2013

I organised a day trip to Montreuil sur Mer for a group of twelve and was therefore quite nervous about my choice of restaurant (group included one gluten-free meal and one vegetarian - we had pre-warned). Our welcome on a cold, wet day could not have been warmer and the cosy (albeit dated) atmosphere might have been oppressive on a sunny day, but was cheery and quaint. Monseiur and Madame Vernay had provided hand-written menus for the special diets. We all chose from different menus and they coped perfectly with every aspect of the meal. I am not aware that any one of the party was in any way disappointed with any of their courses and overall I could not rate Le Darnetal higher. We will definitely return and I have already recommended the restaurant and Montreuil sur Mer as a day-trip destination to friends.

• Visited June 2013
London
“Not the standard we hoped for”
Reviewed June 22, 2013

My husband and I visited Montreuil sur Mer for a holiday and tried Le Darnetal for lunch. The staff were very friendly but the restaurant is dated and needs a fresh lick of paint. We chose the 29 Euro set lunch. My starter was langoustines in orange butter. It was actually a very bland mousse floating on a bed of melted butter with tiny langoustines cut in half lengthways. My husband chose the 'freshly cooked Fois Gras' - but it was just pate.

We then had a very long wait until out main course arrived - we both ordered veal sweetbreads and kidneys in a port sauce as we both love sweetbreads. It was pretty dreadful - the sauce just tasted on Knorr stock cubes and I'm sure there was only a teaspoon of port in it!

We didn't bother to stay for dessert. We have been to France on numerous occasions and never had a bad meal - until now.

• Visited June 2013