“a rose with thorns in our sides”
Review of Gasthof Alpenrose

Gasthof Alpenrose
and 1 more site!
Gasthof Alpenrose
Ranked #8 of 10 Hotels in Rauris
Ipswich, United Kingdom
“a rose with thorns in our sides”
Reviewed January 20, 2013

this was my 40th birthday celebration vacation and it was amazing place to be , Rauris is a gorgeous village and every body is so friendly, alpenrose is a amazing looking austrian home ,family run, and the owners Petra and Frieda Nagl are simply lovely caring warm people, our room was authentic austrian with a balcony and view over the mountains and ski slopes, breakfast was continental and lots of everything to eat, evening meals were very salty, if your a non skier,vegetarien with nut allergies and have a low salt in take level, this is not the place for you, ski lessons and snowboard hire are not cheap, sunday everthing is closed, and it is pretty quiet during the day..unfortunitly there was a large group of polish families with young children who dominated the hotel, that were very unpleasant , very rude especially after they had drunk most of the evening and just let the children run riot throughout, so after 3 days of this rudeness and sleepless nights , we decided to move else where, and as many of other guests also complained about this, so did another german couple,Petra moved us to her aunties house which was lovely, and Petra endured this ongoing rudenees from these polish guests, but petra and the alpenrose are lovely and we will go back in the summer, we will just have to choose our tmes better Alperose thank you, we love you..9/10

Room Tip: rear 1st or 2nd floor rooms, 9 or 21 great views
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank jacquiietpp

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Polish first
Halifax, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 26, 2012

the Great thing about The Alpenrose was it provided a great incentive to stay on the slopes as long as possible. The rooms were very basic, rather cramped and I'm not sure they changed the sheets from the previous residents. I thought the descriptions of the 'food smell' were exaggerated, but turned out to be true...the hotel often reeked of stale cooking. The food was reminiscent of a 1970s comprehensive but not as good. Go bed and breakfast if you need to watch those sodium levels. Staff po-faced bunch, but maybe they dined there as well?

Rauris itself was a great little place to learn to ski. Advice from fellow Crystal skiers was to pay a bit more and stay at The Alpina. Will be back next year, but at Wieshof B&B.

Room Tip: Don't stay here if you want a good room
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Keith A

Travelers are raving about these Rauris hotels

Hampshire
Reviewed March 8, 2012

We booked the Alpenrose with 2 weeks notice based mainly on the price and we were very pleased with what we got for our money.
Firstly its should be noted that Rauris is a quiet resort with limited slopes for intermediate and expert skiers and beginners will find the nursery slopes at the base of the gondola a very good place to learn but the next step up to the blue slopes at the top of the gondola is a big one that some will find too much too soon.
The village itself is very quiet with only one lively ish apres bar (Shakesbeers) and a few restaurants. There is also a decent non smoking bar at the Sonnblick spa. If you are a non smoker and you've really got to enjoy the smoke free enviroment that Britain now has you will notice how smokey some bars and hotels are.
The Alpenrose is a simple, no thrills but comfortable guesthouse/hotel. The rooms vary in size but we found ours to be a decent size and perfectly adequate as a base for our holiday. The food is basic and not to everyone's taste but it was always of a good standard and well presented but will not excite you. I am a very fussy eater but I managed to eat enough at breakfast and dinner to satisfy my big appetite.
The staff were very friendly and the whole place had a good atmosphere with most people being very sociable with each other.
The bedroom walls are a bit thin and we did suffer a bit from a noisy German family in the next room but after a few words of 'friendly' advice on day 2 we had no further problems.
The hotel is a very short walk from the nursery slopes and has a ski room in the basement but there are reasonable lockers next to the gondola.
The hotel has free wi fi - code - AlpenWLAN
We won't be going back to Rauris because the resort is not for us but we would be happy with this hotel again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Arnside
Reviewed February 18, 2012

I stayed at the Alpenrose hotel in February 2012 for my skiing holiday in Rauris. I thought that the location was great because it was right next to BILLA general store and only a field away from the ski slopes. However the rooms were very small, the towl rail came off the wall within two days, the tap wouldn't stop dripping, the lamp had singe holes in it, the chair was cracked and the sitting area was only big enough for one person. The food was extremely disappointing, we only got one night of edible meals. The soup was fine however i got half a bowl every night for some reason. The puddings were awful and very small and the main courses were foul. The waitors were very nice though and we had great company. I would recommend Rauris as a great ski resort just be careful what hotel you pick.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank megan b
scotland
Reviewed January 19, 2012

This is the second time I have stayed in Rauris, both occasions for a ski championship. The alpenrose is ideally located for all local shops, cafés and restaurants. The slopes are a short walk (200m). The traditional Austrian guesthouse was a warm welcoming place to stay where the staff went out their way to make the stay a pleasant one. The food is tradition cuisine and the portions are of good size. Buffet breakfast in the morning and buffet salad in the evening. A great good value place to stay and I would be happy to stay there again.

• Stayed January 2012
scotland
Reviewed January 19, 2012

I stayed in Rauris for a skiing championship and this was my second time at the resort. The hotel is ideally located for the slopes which are only a short walk (200m). The food has been traditional Austrian cuisine and the portions are of good size. I enjoy my food and the staff were more than happy to give me some extra when I asked. The staff are exceptionally friendly and do their best to make your stay an enjoyable one.

• Stayed January 2012
5 Thank gordy_MrH
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 9, 2012

We’ve just returned from our ski holiday in Rauris, Austria. I must say it was my best ski holiday so far. I am new to skiing and resort has fully satisfied my demands for beginner’s slopes and training. Though I did not attend the Ski Shule, I did have a private lesson with instructor from Karl Meir Ski Shule. My husband is very good at skiing, so he was my personal instructor afterwards and we went to higher peaks while ski-school attendees (beginners) spent the whole 6 days on the lowest slopes. So, I think private lessons are better value as the whole attention of the instructor is devoted to you and you don’t have to waste your time waiting for others to climb up. As for the slopes, they were rather diverse, so those with better skills can enjoy steeper ones while beginners have a great opportunity to practice on picturesque prolonged routes.
There are several routes on the very top of the mountain which are also indicated as blue ones, but they are more difficult.

The road from the Alpenrose to the lifts is very convenient. You don’t have to walk through the central street, but can put on your skis and slide down the lifts. There is a special room in the pension where you can leave your equipment after the hard day and find you shoes perfectly dry the next morning.

Talking about the accommodation itself I have to say it was a very welcoming place, a very traditional one. It felt like you are invited to someone’s home - completely different feeling to the hotel. Everything was decorated with handmade items that gave the house a nice touch. If you are a pet lower you will be happy to know that there were several cats and a dog, called Shtrolche (or smth close to that). I loved playing with him as he was very friendly.

Though our room was very small, it had a balcony facing the main street, beautified with lights. We were out most of the time enjoying the fresh air skiing, so the size of the room did not upset us at all. What I did not like was the bed and pillows. My husband had a huge one and mine was like a pancake. Plus there was a problem with sink and taps, but I must admit it was fixed without any problems. As for the cleanness, it was at high standards all the time. The food was traditional Austrian one, very similar to German cuisine. We had a buffet in the morning and a proper dinner served by waiters in the evening. There is a choice between two options for the main course which you have to make in the morning. We had a nice salad bad as well. One thing I missed during these 7 days was fish; otherwise my husband and I were very happy with the quality and variety of food.

My final advise - if you like to relax in sauna in the evening - then Alpenrose in not for you. If you are not from that league – chose this pension as it is also good value for money.

P.S.

We booked our holiday with Cristal Ski and the organization of transfers and all the events was at high level. The representative who stayed at Rauris was vey helpful. We booked the day-trip to Salzburg which was our last day in Austria. I would definitely recommend doing so if you’ve never been to this beautiful city.

Overall we both were more then satisfied after 7 days in Rauris. Our New 2012 year started in a fairy-tale Rauris, with a proper winter snow. I do not have any hesitations to recommend this place for anyone who likes such king of holidays.

Room Tip: Do not choose the room close to the lift.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple