“Warm friendly place to stay” 4 of 5 bubbles

Gasthof Alpenrose
Gasthof Alpenrose
Ranked #8 of 10 Hotels in Rauris
scotland
“Warm friendly place to stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2012

This is the second time I have stayed in Rauris, both occasions for a ski championship. The alpenrose is ideally located for all local shops, cafés and restaurants. The slopes are a short walk (200m). The traditional Austrian guesthouse was a warm welcoming place to stay where the staff went out their way to make the stay a pleasant one. The food is tradition cuisine and the portions are of good size. Buffet breakfast in the morning and buffet salad in the evening. A great good value place to stay and I would be happy to stay there again.

• Stayed January 2012

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Polish first
scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2012

I stayed in Rauris for a skiing championship and this was my second time at the resort. The hotel is ideally located for the slopes which are only a short walk (200m). The food has been traditional Austrian cuisine and the portions are of good size. I enjoy my food and the staff were more than happy to give me some extra when I asked. The staff are exceptionally friendly and do their best to make your stay an enjoyable one.

• Stayed January 2012
5 Thank gordy_MrH
Derby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2012

We’ve just returned from our ski holiday in Rauris, Austria. I must say it was my best ski holiday so far. I am new to skiing and resort has fully satisfied my demands for beginner’s slopes and training. Though I did not attend the Ski Shule, I did have a private lesson with instructor from Karl Meir Ski Shule. My husband is very good at skiing, so he was my personal instructor afterwards and we went to higher peaks while ski-school attendees (beginners) spent the whole 6 days on the lowest slopes. So, I think private lessons are better value as the whole attention of the instructor is devoted to you and you don’t have to waste your time waiting for others to climb up. As for the slopes, they were rather diverse, so those with better skills can enjoy steeper ones while beginners have a great opportunity to practice on picturesque prolonged routes.
There are several routes on the very top of the mountain which are also indicated as blue ones, but they are more difficult.

The road from the Alpenrose to the lifts is very convenient. You don’t have to walk through the central street, but can put on your skis and slide down the lifts. There is a special room in the pension where you can leave your equipment after the hard day and find you shoes perfectly dry the next morning.

Talking about the accommodation itself I have to say it was a very welcoming place, a very traditional one. It felt like you are invited to someone’s home - completely different feeling to the hotel. Everything was decorated with handmade items that gave the house a nice touch. If you are a pet lower you will be happy to know that there were several cats and a dog, called Shtrolche (or smth close to that). I loved playing with him as he was very friendly.

Though our room was very small, it had a balcony facing the main street, beautified with lights. We were out most of the time enjoying the fresh air skiing, so the size of the room did not upset us at all. What I did not like was the bed and pillows. My husband had a huge one and mine was like a pancake. Plus there was a problem with sink and taps, but I must admit it was fixed without any problems. As for the cleanness, it was at high standards all the time. The food was traditional Austrian one, very similar to German cuisine. We had a buffet in the morning and a proper dinner served by waiters in the evening. There is a choice between two options for the main course which you have to make in the morning. We had a nice salad bad as well. One thing I missed during these 7 days was fish; otherwise my husband and I were very happy with the quality and variety of food.

My final advise - if you like to relax in sauna in the evening - then Alpenrose in not for you. If you are not from that league – chose this pension as it is also good value for money.

P.S.

We booked our holiday with Cristal Ski and the organization of transfers and all the events was at high level. The representative who stayed at Rauris was vey helpful. We booked the day-trip to Salzburg which was our last day in Austria. I would definitely recommend doing so if you’ve never been to this beautiful city.

Overall we both were more then satisfied after 7 days in Rauris. Our New 2012 year started in a fairy-tale Rauris, with a proper winter snow. I do not have any hesitations to recommend this place for anyone who likes such king of holidays.

Room Tip: Do not choose the room close to the lift.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nastik_K
St Helens, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2011

After reading recent reviews I wasn't sure what to expect when I arrived at the Alpen Rose, the rooms were basic but that didn't matter as we were there to ski for the week. We were not looking forward to the food, however the food was good and the kids enjoyed it especially the buffet breakfast, cereals, meat, bread, yoghurt, etc.
The walk to the ski school and lift took about 5 mins, we hired a ski locker to save messing about walking over with our equipment.
The skiing was good for beginners and intermediates, if you want something more challenging for a day there is a bus to Zee Em Zee which takes about 40 - 50 minutes.
There was plenty to do at night, sledging, night time candle lit hike, night horse and carriage ride and the Wednesday night ski stunt show.
On the whole the holiday was excellent value for money, the kids enjoyed the ski school and night time activities, also Rauris wasn't as expensive as other ski resorts and is a lot cheaper than French resorts, I will be returning again.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank lcarey29
East Anglia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2010

This hotel is well placed for the lifts.Food was "moderate"but there are good restaurants in the village.Our rooms were very noisy because they were next to the lift and its motor so lots of noise all night.The bed in one room was broken and not repaired all week.There are also cats and dogs that have the freedom to roam, including in the kitchen, can that be allowed?

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank MartinGodfrey

Travelers are raving about these Rauris hotels

Dnepropetrovsk
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2010

If you are planning a ski vacation with friends, because only in the circle of merry company can relieve the tension from contact with hostile personnel, and the smell of cheap food you do not feel sick (all the walls of the hotel is imbued with this awful smell), and you're ready every morning for breakfast raw or boiled eggs with cheese, sausage and rolls (still a yogurt), and packaged tea in the Alpine mountains you do not bend (!!!! Even in our dense Ukraine's Transcarpathia in any hotel on the road without any stars you have to offer Carpathian boiled sweet tea), and for dinner you're willing to spend a supplementary budget, as what is served at dinner in the hotel Alpinrouz, healthy food can not be named, then hotel Alpinrouz - your hotel!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
4 Thank foryou_10
Romania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2010

I recommend this pension. It is situated in Rauris, Austria, a small village near Zell am See. Good quality services and a very good price, taken into consideration that I haved demipension and I was between in the week between Christmas and January 2-nd.
Breakfast - buffet.
Dinner - 3 dishes (soupe, main course, cookie), the food very good.
Room - the room is ok, however, is not for spending time in the room. Everyone is going to ski.
Bathroom - ok.
Rauris: a quite village, nice sights. Very good ski schools.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple