“Peaceful atmosphere”
Review of Hostel Orchid

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in El Valle de Anton
Hostel Orchid
Reviewed June 24, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here around four nights and had a pleasant stay. El valle del anton is small so you can walk everywhere. There were just two other people staying in the hostel at the same time as me (both solo travellers) so we hung out together for the day and went to the hot springs. Like the review below says, the staff dont have English but they were patient with me with my limited Spanish. As a visitor to a Spanish speaking country I believe it is up to me to learn Spanish and not expect all of the locals to speak English. The hammock in the garden is a nice place to relax in the evenings.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank zzzzzzzzzz123

Reviewed June 23, 2014

I was at the hostel the same day as the previous reviewer and helped her with check in since she did not speak any Spanish. It was pouring rain, she was offered and accepted the only private double room with bath which costs $25. She was offered tea as well and seemed to be fine with the accommodation. The rooms are cleaned daily and clean linens for each new guest. I was shocked at the negative review. The hostel is quiet and safe, cleaned daily and is one of the least expensive options in El Valle. It is not a luxury hotel and the price reflects this. It is a small non-profit organization staffed with a mix of paid staff and volunteers. The focus of the garden is on conserving native and sometimes endangered species of orchids. Perhaps this is not the garden experience she was hoping for.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Panamachristina
Reviewed June 8, 2014

I dont know where those positive comments come from but my stay was certainly different!
My room (private) was incredible dirty: dead animals everywhere, towel was full of dead ants and my pillows had no sheets. There were sweat, coffee stains on it and I had to ask for a change.
The common kitchen was the most disgusting thing: old rotten food everywhere, which of course attracts millions of flies running over dishes, food, furniture etc..

The lady who runs this place doesnt care a thing. Mainly sitting around and let two locals do all the work, which I think they have never worked in a hostel before.

I wanted to stay for two nights but one night was the most I can handle in such a disgusting place! It is also a clear rip off charging European prices for such a filthy place!

The morning I left the boys (who by the way dont speak a single word in English) couldnt help me with information about the bus timetable, neither were they able to call me a taxi. So I had to walk 20 minutes into town in such a incredible heat.

The orchid garden is not worth a visit, fairly small and unattractive. And I also learned that orchids doesnt look pretty at all times because I have seen none.

Never again!!!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Sarah L
Reviewed March 22, 2014

We traveled to El Valle and needed a place to stay and found the Hostel Orchid in our Lonely Planet book. It's a great hostel that is quiet and very comfortable. They have wi-fi, hot showers, and you can even visit the Orchid Garden for free when you stay there. It's about a 5-10 minute walk from downtown El Valle with restaurants, shops, and markets. We visited the Nispero Zoo to see the golden frog and took a hike to find the square trunk trees during our stay here. The people at the hostal were friendly, but not very informative when it came to asking questions about the town. One girl there had only been working there for a week. If you go out to dinner, make sure you leave early. Most places to eat close up around 6pm so there is not many choices for dinner options. We only spent one night in El Valle because we couldn't find enough things to do. If you like hiking and nature, this spot is for you and I would recommend staying at the Hostel Orchid.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Kate C
Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 2 nights and thought it was a cute but very quiet place to visit. The gardens surrounding the hostel are very pretty but it's a very new set up so things are still being established. The volunteer there tried her best to help us with what there is to do, but unfort had not been there long herself. The double room is very basic, has a terrible mattress and a squeaky door, but is clean. It's a bit out of town but is nice if you want the peace and quiet. Best to visit if you love nature, not for party goers.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Goferret
Reviewed August 12, 2013

this is probably the best hostal in El Valle. It is part of the orchid center, so it is a beautiful place to stay with a nice garden, clean kitchen and a big dorm for six people (it also has private rooms). The price is good and the people are really friendly.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 1, 2013

I arrived in El Valle with no plan. I decided to walk around until I found something interesting and came across Hostel Orchidea. The rooms were a little expensive, but they let me pitch my hammock in the orchid garden for $5! In the orchid garden! How cool!

The staff were all very friendly and accommodating, but my lack of Spanish at the time make a few encounters a bit confusing.

The hostel part of the property all seemed very nice with someone of it still being under construction. It looks like it will be extremely nice once all complete.

Also, the location is a bit out of town, but that's not a problem if you don't mind a 15 minute walk or just grabbing the frequent buses running in and out of town for I think 25 cents.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo