Open today: 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM

Reviewed August 20, 2017
Coronado55
St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands
via mobile
Great or Terrible? Depends on what's in bloom when you visit.

Reviewed August 19, 2017
Over60Nomad
Arequipa, Peru

Recommended experiences in and around El Valle de Anton
from $88.00
from $194.00
from $125.00
More Info
All reviews knowledgeable staff orchids volunteers information display trees
Reviewed January 10, 2018

I brought a group of college students to APROVACA to volunteer for half-days during our stay in El Valle de Antón. Some painted, some wrote up tags for naming trees and orchid types, as well as past visitors and donators. Overall it was a fantastic experience. Ayumi, here from Japan, (the equivalent of the US Peace Corps, she told us), is an excellent host for APROVACA, warm and welcoming, as well as providing great information for our students. The other volunteers are also outgoing.

After our time at APROVACA, I started to notice what I would never have noticed previously - how trees in El Valle are often hosts to many other living plants, as well as orchids. Look up as you walk down the Calle de los Millionarios, and you will see orchids in so many trees!

Date of experience: January 2018
Reviewed September 24, 2017 via mobile

Beautiful place. Every year volunteers place the orchids back to the mountains. The place is very organized and also peaceful. Great place to visit.

Date of experience: September 2017
Reviewed September 6, 2017

Beautiful .....previously a home to a family who grew orchids for love. Well laid out, plants identified. Staff is knowledgeable and pleasant. A wonderful hour. The orchids are delightful!

Reviewed August 20, 2017 via mobile

The staff were great about showing us around and explaining everything to us. It was a little bit disappointing that we went when not many of the orchids were in bloom.

Reviewed August 19, 2017

I highly recommend asking at desk what orchids are in bloom BEFORE you pay admission. Some people see lots and totally enjoy the experience. Others feel ripped off because they only saw 1 little orchid. The staff kept telling me how lucky I was that so many were in bloom. I got lots of good photos and really enjoyed myself. The other thing you can amuse yourself with is the educational aspects if not many blooms. Did you know vanilla is an orchid? In any case, you can feel good that it's a non-profit place and monies go to protect and propagate endangered orchid varieties.

2  Thank Over60Nomad