This time stayed at the Pilón because the rest of my preferred rooms Cariguana, Gaital, Manigordo, Coatimundi were all occupied or in renovation. The room is a bit small but nice as my last stay more than 2 years ago.
Reception: No change as seen last time. But this time we arrived to the hotel under a copious rain and there were several buckets with rain water dripping from the roof and wet all the reception (was worried about the rooms but seems that the roof in room areas are better or double covered)
Room: Rustic style with tv, nice large bathroom with shower and toiletries (but no fixed hairdryer, have to ask them); cleaned sheets/towels. Access to the back terrace by climbing the large window. As per my last review is still nice sitting at the rocking couch of the back terrace (they took away the hammock) to read or relax (check the photo that I enclosed with this review).
Meals: Are still being served by this terrace after the reception and close by the bar.
Breakfast: No change as remembered from the last stay. Served in a small buffet coffee, tea, cereals, milk, juice, fresh fruit (mangoes from their trees!), warm breads, marmalades, butter, classic continental breakfast.
Lunch/Dinner: No restaurant service because they sent the cook on holidays (June). To lunch or dinner is necessary to go somewhere away and not short walking distance from here (this time we came with no car so we spend almost 1 hour walking to town!). I think that the menu is still limited.
Close to the reception there is a climbing wall, obstacle course, small canopy because the hotel manages also an adventure tour company which is easy to arrange.
Pool areas: Still there is the large pool, bar pool and the hot tub. This time we used a lot the hot tub which is really nice during the cool afternoons and we could see hummingbirds flying around.
Green areas: Paths, fruit trees, bridges, ponds will be nicer if better cared. Asked the staff about the toads because during my last stay have seen a lot of them but apparently a disease have exterminated them, but still can hear some croaking frogs..
Spa: We never use these services (but still there is the “spa cottage”) but some guests comment to us that they had problems by booking a massage session because the “spa experts” are not inhouse but outside persons because of their schedules etc. and it was easier to go their real “spa workplaces”.
Now there are like 4-5 people working there (1 manager, 1 gardener, the rest housemaids/handymen). The manager explained to me that the owners change administration/staff since a year and half ago. Just OK.
Maybe because of the current financial crisis that the hotel stopped to invest for major maintenance (roof) and the 2nd floors, and also got some news that they are planning to sell it. Looks more like a boutique bed & breakfast rather than resort/spa as they advertised. Pity, because like I said, is an almost excellent product but what's going on??
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This well-known 8-bedroom Family Estate established by Avelina "Bilo" Gonzalez-Revilla, is one of the most breath-taking properties in all of El Valle. Recently converted to a Bed and Breakfast Resort, its expansive grounds allows for guests to wander the gardens and enjoy the unique collection of Flora. Its serenity intices you to basque by the swimming pool, bird watch, or nap in one of the many hammocks. Expansive RENOVATIONS were completed in April 2013. Each of the Guest Rooms have been standardized and equipped with Air Conditioners, ceiling fans, deluxe linens, down pillows, and duvets. Our staff is available to organize Adventure Tours in the valley, on-site Massages, visit the town's Zoo, world-famous Sunday Market, etc. All you need to do is ask. We are here to pamper you - this is your Home away from Home.... ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, Hotwire, Priceline, Cheap Tickets and Hotels.com so you can book your Crater Valley reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Crater Valley Hotel El Valle De Anton
- Crater Valley Panama/El Valle De Anton