“Epic Place for a Yoga Retreat”
Review of Casa MarBella

Casa MarBella
Ranked #1 of 26 Hotels in Santa Teresa
GreenLeadersBronze level
Encinitas, California
“Epic Place for a Yoga Retreat”
Reviewed June 2, 2014

We brought a group of 12 ppl from San Diego to Casa Marbella for a Yoga Retreat.. The view up the hill where casa marbella is located,,, is absolutely stunning.. Its quiet and super secure and jim and Steph plus their angelic daughter NYA were so helpful.. We had everything we needed right at our fingertips… Taxi, excursions, recommendations-- just ask the people at the front desk.. Plus Amelin, the massage therapist is TO DIE FOR.. Make sure to book a session with her and take a private yoga class in the Open air yoga studio with Stephanie.. My favorite restaurant, Brisas Del Mar, is actually right next to Casa Marbella. Their are stairs that attach the hotel to the restaurant, so you have amazing food just steps away!! There are several different selections in terms of rooms.. Its awesome for a huge group or just to rent the private rooms too.. The prices are affordable and its super clean!! This place is a MEGA GEM!!!

Room Tip: Get a private room that overlooks the pool with a kitchenette or splurge and get the condo!!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Reviewed June 1, 2014

I have to start of by saying thank you to the owners Stephanie and Jim. They were the most accommodating hosts to our whole party which included my mother, brother, 6 year old son, my boyfriend and I. The place was very clean, and had a cozy yet exotic feel to it. The pool view is to die for. One could practically spend their whole day enjoying the view there, soaking up the rays and be completely satisfied. Jim gave a my bro and I a surf lesson. He was organized, timely and you could tell he is passionate about surfing which made the lesson even more enjoyable. He gave us rides on the four wheelers to the doctor, and was very helpful in recommending what to see and where to hang out while in Santa Teresa. I would definitely recommend Casa MarBella to anyone looking for an unforgettable experience!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed May 14, 2014

My fiance and I visited Santa Teresa with another couple and stayed in one of the 3 bedroom apartments at Casa MarBella. The apartment was spacious, beautiful, and very clean. The best part was the terrace with the hammock overlooking the Pacific- your own slice of paradise. While the hotel is quite the uphill hike from the main road, it is well worth the trip for the views alone (plus the main road can be pretty dusty). The service was great as well- they even provided a delicious home cooked meal for a very reasonable fee.

The restaurant up the hill, Brisas del Mar, offers a discounted brunch for hotel guests and has the same amazing views. We had both brunch and dinner there and it was excellent.

Room Tip: If you can, book with a group in one of the apartments- you get your own private patio and the rooms...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed May 14, 2014

My wife and I were celebrating our 10 year anniversary. We have traveled all over the world and have some pretty unique tastes. We like to be in a civilized area but don't want to be in a cruisy, overly commercial resort where you get 0% of the culture (and miss the real experience of traveling) On this trip alone we stayed in San Jose, La Fortuna, and Monteverde for outdoor active activities we wanted to do in each town. Our trip was perfect but Casa Marbella was the crown jewel of our trip. My wife and I booked the two bedroom with the private balcony overlooking the ocean. I couldn't hardly get her to leave the hammock on the balcony! She just wanted to sit in that hammock all day and read. I finally convinced her to come down to the beach with me. Jim (the owner) hooked us up with a board (I surf) for cheap of the 3 main days we wouldn't have activities planned. He then offered to take me out to a few of the local breaks himself and tip me off on the best spots and approaches to catching the breaks. Nice boards and nice service. The boards are right there for you to use. They also have ATVs you can rent from the hotel. Prices allowed you to get it for traveling around to the other local areas on the peninsula.

Once we were done surfing we road our ATV over to Montezuma based on a conversation we had with Him and one of the other guests we had met (and went to dinner with) that week (recommended and provided directions). Road along the beach road and walked out on some of the most beautiful and untouched beaches we've ever seen.

Jim and Stephanie run this place like a bed and breakfast with class. We felt like we were going to stay with some old friends who happen to live in Costa Rica in one super nice house where things are kept up and clean. The two bed room includes a full kitchen so you can run down to Ronnie's Market and get some snacks, beers, etc for chilling at the house in the evening after a day out exploring or to just stay at the casa and feel the current of the experience. Water in the shower was without issue for us. I think one time we got a cold flush and it was because we didn't let the water warm up long enough before getting in.

The entire layout of this place makes sure to remind you that you are in the lap of Costa Rican luxury, both natural and man made. You don't get the funny CR smells up there on Jim and Stephanie's hill and when you look out at that pristine ocean, with the undulation of water endlessly running toward your shores you get an image burned into the depths of your visual cortex that reaches down into the pocket of your soul and puts you on that whispered secret of tico time. It's hard to leave this place. I find myself in the office closing my eyes and still imagining the image of the ocean from our balcony and can feel the magic of this place stirring the depths and putting my mind at peace. If you are in the area and want to understand how magical this place can truly be book a stay with Casa Marbella with Jim, Stephanie, and the other staff. Really fantastic place to stay everyone!

Room Tip: Only the 2 bedrooms and up have a private balcony but the other rooms have access to a common pool a...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TheSwannsJM
Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed May 1, 2014

This place is absolutely gorgeous, especially the view from all the terrasses and from the pool. To be in the pool with such a view is probably not going to happen twice in our life.
The bedroom was also very nicely and with taste, furnished.
Nevertheless, we had some problems with the shower: almost no water, and it was cold. As it was not possible to fix it (we were a Sunday), we could access to the bathroom of an other bedroom. Problem was well managed, but it never very nice.
We also terribly miss the owners, we felt more in a hotel then in a guesthouse. Very much a pity.
We also took a surf lesson with Micky from Casa Marbella and we loved it! We came back completely destroyed but very happy that we had tried and succeed!
Last point, I was intending to take a yoga lesson according to the price available in our room, but price were not updated and real price was almost double (from 25 to 45$ the yoga course!!!). So no yoga lesson...
If the owners are there, we would probably go back.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cess_venise
Nags Head, North Carolina
Reviewed April 30, 2014

Casa MarBella was a wonderful choice! Jim and Stephanie were so nice and accommodating for our entire trip. Very well kept and clean rooms, with very cool private bathrooms! The infinity pool was always fun and we made lots of new friends. Private couples massages are a must, and the friendly staff can book it for you on premise over-looking the beautiful Pacific. Private yoga lessons are also offered! Whether you are looking for a quiet place to stay or a place to meet new people, Casa MarBella offers it all, and always feeling safe and secure! Will be back!! Pura Vida :)

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed April 23, 2014

My husband and I just returned from Casa MarBella. We had a fabulous week there, truly not enough time. We are already planning a return.
We flew into San Jose, rented a car, drove to the Puntarenas ferry, then drove 1.5 hours to Santa Teresa. Next time we will fly to Tambor and rent a car there or not. You really do not need a car in Santa Teresa so if you arrange a taxi to Casa MarBella as other reviews have mentioned, I think that is a better strategy.
First, Casa MarBella is an absolutely first tier hotel destination in every category: location, cleanliness, vibe, amenities, staff. We arrived at 8:00 pm after all day of travel and were greeted by Wilfredo, the night staff. He is charming and helpful and always smiling. We could hear the ocean as we got out of our car.
We were in room 2, which was spacious and well planned. The bathroom is shower, sink and toilet all together but also spacious. The rock wall shower was great after a long day of travel.
We awoke our first day to the sight of the ocean and delicious coffee, ready to pour at 5:00 a.m. thanks to Wilfredo. Coffee and the ocean belong together. They surfers in our group walked to the ocean and had a great session; the ladies walked the beach (which is beautiful...walk north for a stunning white sand beach) or did yoga on the fantastic elevated yoga pavilion. We enjoyed great breakfasts at the neighbor restaurant, Brisas del Mar. Great french press coffee, eggs, fruit, everything. Dinner is also fantastic, get the seafood grill and I am still thinking about the sangria.
You can easily walk to other great restaurants -try the soda at the bottom of the hill for a great local experience, the fantastic Super Ronny market (the cashier will look you right in the eye, smile and say "gracias",) and of course the ocean. I came home with lots of agates and shells. The proprietors were very accommodating and provided lots of helpful tips. I highly recommend Casa MarBella.

Room Tip: I think all rooms are great, it just depends on what you want. There is a king bed, Kitchenette roo...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple