“Definitely a great place to stay!”
Review of Casa MarBella

Casa MarBella
Ranked #1 of 27 Hotels in Santa Teresa
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed August 14, 2008

A great spot! This was our second time to MalPais, and we were not disappointed by Casa MarBella. It is a beautiful hotel, and a great central location. Just a short walk down the drive (which is really steep!!! If you're driving up there, don't be afraid. Just gun it!) to the Super Ronny (the local market), restaurants, and most importantly the beach.

Their neighbor hotel (a slightly scary climb up some stairs built into a hill) is Buenos Ares, which provided for a great spot to grab a quick and delicious bite - try the empanadas - they are delicious. It was especially perfect because Casa MarBella doesn't have a restaraunt itself.

We stayed for 6 nights during the rainy season (august 2008) in one of the two bedroom suites. The room was very comfortable and clean. It had a very comfy, firm king bed in main room, queen in second room, small kitchen (two burners, fridge, very limited cooking utensils) and a table. It had a nice, clean bathroom, a terrific balcony with a hammock, and a very nice ocean view. The trip to Mal Pais / Santa Teresa is extremely bumpy (supposedly the road is one of the worst in Costa Rica), but that is the price to pay to sneak away to a little slice of paradise.

Stephanie and Jim (the owners) are really nice (a young couple from Florida with a super cute toddler). Take a surf lesson with Jim. He's a great teacher! I had never touched a board before and he had me up on the board in just a few minutes.

The crowd when we were at the hotel was pretty diverse. There was a family with a young boy, some other rooms with youngish couples, and some surfers. Everyone was quiet and respectful and friendly while at the pool/courtyard (very important as the hotel was built around an open courtyard - which could get loud). We made friends with two of the rooms of people, even going on a tour to Isla Tourtuga (a must do) with some of them.

Overall, the place has a great feeling to it. A great place for a little R&R. We were sad to leave, and can't wait to go back to MalPais. When we come back, we definitely plan on staying here again!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jlatcham

Reviewed August 3, 2008

My daughter and I recently stayed in a 2 bedroom suite for 9 days (we enjoyed it so much we extended our stay). The rooms are tastefully decorated with a kitchen. The highlights were relaxing in the hammock on the deck listening to the ocean. Another favorite was fixing breakfast and eating it poolside overlooking the ocean.

Casa Marbella has the intimacy of a B&B, while feeling like a full service resort. Jim was the best surf instructor I've ever met - he had me stunned at the progress I made on the waves. Stephanie was able to find us fun things to do, amazing restaurants on the beach and take care of every strange request we had (there were a few)

Malpais is was incredible. It's a perfect spot for surfing and enjoying the beach. After spending time in Monteverde and Arenal, I really appreciate the unspoiled nature of Malpais and Santa Teresa. It's not overrun with American tourists. I completely understand it being ranked as one of the top 10 beaches in the world.

I tend to want to try new destinations in future vacations. That said Casa Marbella will be the exception, as I hope to return soon.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed July 1, 2008

We recently stayed in the luxury condo at the Casa Marbella, and it was fantastic! My husband and I went with another couple and had a great time, thanks in a large part to Jim and Stephanie, the owners of the hotel. It is a small property that is very personal and lovely, The luxury condo was huge, with a large great room and three bedrooms. We spent a lot of time on the porch, swinging in the hammock and sipping pina coladas and beer and looking out over the incredible view. The condo itself is beautifully decorated and the perfect space to relax in after a fun day spent at the beach or hiking. We also loved the pool, where you can gaze out to the ocean. Jim and Stephanie provided a huge notebook full of excursions and activities in the area and called to book massages and day trips for us, as well as cab rides. They were invaluable in advising us on where to eat and how to get around. I hope that we can go back next year!!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 29, 2008

A lovely 8 (?) room botique hotel. Opened in Nov 07. Very clean, nicely decorated. Great view! Jim and Stephanie live on premises, so pretty much always there and always available.

Also loved the location. It was just off the main road, which gave it a very secluded feeling, but a close walk to beach and town. Jim and Stephanie were great!

We were there in the off season, so we had the pool pretty much all to ourselves.

We'll definitely stay there on our next trip to Mal Pais/Santa Teresa.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 20, 2008

I traveled to Mal Pais and came across Casa MarBella. It has an outstanding view of the ocean from the hill while overlooking the infinity pool. Each room is modern and laid back. This place is always kept up and looking A+ with security at night for peice of mind. Very short walk down the hill to the beach. Approx 2-3 mins. The owner, Jim, took care of our every need including surfboard rentals and restaurant recomendations. I was blown away!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 9, 2008

We stayed 10 nights and we enjoyed every minute. The hotel is brand new and has a really cool and chic design (nice detailes), we stayed in a standard room which was enough, altough the rooms on the ends have balconies with hammocks and beatiful ocean view. In the center there is an infinity pool which overlooks the ocean. The view is spectacular, we aslo enjoyed it when coming home late in the evening watching the stars ;-)
Stefanie and Jim, the owners, are more like friends, they help you with everything and we were lucky to be invited twice for dinner. You should rent a quad, go deep sea fishing (you can bring your catch back to the hotel what we did, and Jim grilled our yellow-fin-tuna - fantastic!) or take a surf lesson. By the way, the beach which is just a 5 min walk down from the hotel is one of the nicest I have seen worldwide - you will start to surf, for sure!
ANd there was not only one situation where we felt unsecure!
So we can highly recooment the place. Remeber, it is still an insider- tipp, not a lot of tourismn! For more pictures check out http://lex-worldwide.blogspot.com/

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 24, 2008

I was referred to Casa Marbella from another hotel in the area that was sold out at that time. I was so impressed with the cleanliness, artistic decor, and high level of comfort and service provided. Stephanie and Jim just opened this hotel and there commitment to their guests is apparent. I was traveling by myself and the intimacy of this beautiful hotel made it easy for me to meet and join other guests for meals and activities if I wished. It is a hotel with 7 different rooms some with kitchens, some with multiple bedrooms. Each room ( because I was curious I looked) has its own personality and charm. All the rooms look onto an infinity pool which overlooks the ocean. The view is spectacular and the atmosphere is tranquil. I also loved floating in the pool at night looking up at the stars. I also recommend hiring Jim to teach you a surfing lesson his confident and calm manner is just what you need when trying to surf. I am not easily impressed but I was so pleased with this experience that I am sharing it!

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled solo
Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat
Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat
#12 of 27 in Santa Teresa
Tango Mar Beachfront Boutique Hotel & Villas

Been to Casa MarBella? Share your experiences!