A great spot! This was our second time to MalPais, and we were not disappointed by Casa MarBella. It is a beautiful hotel, and a great central location. Just a short walk down the drive (which is really steep!!! If you're driving up there, don't be afraid. Just gun it!) to the Super Ronny (the local market), restaurants, and most importantly the beach.
Their neighbor hotel (a slightly scary climb up some stairs built into a hill) is Buenos Ares, which provided for a great spot to grab a quick and delicious bite - try the empanadas - they are delicious. It was especially perfect because Casa MarBella doesn't have a restaraunt itself.
We stayed for 6 nights during the rainy season (august 2008) in one of the two bedroom suites. The room was very comfortable and clean. It had a very comfy, firm king bed in main room, queen in second room, small kitchen (two burners, fridge, very limited cooking utensils) and a table. It had a nice, clean bathroom, a terrific balcony with a hammock, and a very nice ocean view. The trip to Mal Pais / Santa Teresa is extremely bumpy (supposedly the road is one of the worst in Costa Rica), but that is the price to pay to sneak away to a little slice of paradise.
Stephanie and Jim (the owners) are really nice (a young couple from Florida with a super cute toddler). Take a surf lesson with Jim. He's a great teacher! I had never touched a board before and he had me up on the board in just a few minutes.
The crowd when we were at the hotel was pretty diverse. There was a family with a young boy, some other rooms with youngish couples, and some surfers. Everyone was quiet and respectful and friendly while at the pool/courtyard (very important as the hotel was built around an open courtyard - which could get loud). We made friends with two of the rooms of people, even going on a tour to Isla Tourtuga (a must do) with some of them.
Overall, the place has a great feeling to it. A great place for a little R&R. We were sad to leave, and can't wait to go back to MalPais. When we come back, we definitely plan on staying here again!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Casa MarBella is a boutique hotel situated on a mountain slope in Santa Teresa. The property provides a spectacular panoramic view of the Pacific Ocean and is a five-minute walk to the beach, restaurants, and stores. Being surrounded by rainforest, it offers a unique opportunity to watch wildlife in their natural habitat. The area is renowned for its consistent surf breaks, some of which are walking distance from the property. The Casa consists of eight units with four different typologies of rooms for your different needs and group sizes. It is an ideal venue for those seeking the privacy, services, and comforts of individual hotel rooms, yet the intimacy of a private villa. The décor of the rooms is a minimalist approach with a tropical touch. The amenities of the hotel include free parking area, Wi-Fi in the common areas, infinity pool, ocean view yoga deck, sun terrace, and reception. All of the rooms have ocean view and air conditioning. Services we provide include house keeping, massage, babysitting, and concierge where we can schedule an array of activities for no extra charge. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz and Agoda so you can book your Casa MarBella reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Casa Marbella Santa Teresa
- Casa Marbella Hotel Santa Teresa
- Casa MarBella Costa Rica/Santa Teresa