From the moment we arrived we knew we were in the right place.
Lush setting, steps to the beach, sunset show awaiting us within our first hour of arrival... and the comforts of home without being too fancy. Brad and Tara have arranged the villas so you can see the pool from inside the house, but there is just enough foliage (gorgeous, colorful and almost surreal) to keep your "home away from home" feeling private enough.
The pool itself has a sloping walk in, so our son loved that, but also has a wading pool in which he was able to stand (he's just over 2 so that was a delight for him)... it's surrounded by huge rocks and again, lovely greenery and flowers, so it was always the perfect hangout for all of us.
Breakfast every day is provided. Again, just perfect, yummy comfort food, something freshly baked every day (banana bread was a favorite, choc chip muffins... i'll stop there), eggs to order, toast and condiments, whatever we needed. We usually ate enough to tide us through lunch, and we were able to go to town and get fruit and other items for snacking in our villa.
Dinner we either went to town or cooked, both amazing fun options; the two patios that front each villa are both nice for dining, as well as the ample kitchen and living room.
Both my husband and i took surfing lessons almost daily,
with Greg and Grettel (a couple, such good people); Grettel has been surfing that beach for over 13 years, before anyone else was even there... Greg is the consummate professional
and employed sentiments of respect and gratitude for the waves in ways that were completely accessible. The surfing was the highlight of our trip in many ways. Both are reachable through Brad and Tara and provided us beginning surfers with a thoroughly satisfying and [--] (!) experience.
We recommend chartering a flight from San Jose if you have a group of 6 or more (we found Paradise Air a great company) --the flying to Tambor is surely the best way, rather than driving.
A long trip there and back, but SO worth it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The distinctive beachfront hotel, Villas Hermosas, is located in Playa Hermosa of Mal Pais on the Pacific Ocean in Costa Rica. Please come and share with them their playful surf, thriving jungle, empty beaches, tropical gardens, and inviting swimming pool, while enjoying all the comforts of home! With only four villas, they offer a uniquely intimate experience. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Villas Hermosas Hotel Santa Teresa
- Hermosas Hotel Santa Teresa
- Villas Hermosas Costa Rica/Santa Teresa