“Heaven”
Review of Villas Hermosas

We can't find prices for this hotel
Villas Hermosas
Ranked #13 of 26 Hotels in Santa Teresa
Montana
“Heaven”
Reviewed January 28, 2009

Villas Hermosas is the nicest place to stay on the beaches of Costa Rica. The hotel is fantastic - gorgeous, pool, beach front property, AC, etc - and the people who own the resort are wonderful. We could not have felt more welcome! They go out of their way to make your stay perfect and the rooms are wonderful. The bed was the most comfortable I have ever found on vacation anywhere and the experience was just amazing. The beach in front of the hotel is the most gorgeous for miles, perfect sand, tides, shade and most importantly, SUNSHINE!! I could not rate this resort high enough!

• Liked — The rooms were so clean and the staff was amazing!
  • Disliked — There wasn't anything we didn't like.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
NYC
Reviewed January 21, 2009

Our stay at Villas Hermosas in January was our second time at the hotel: Let this be the first clue as to how much we loved it when we stayed there three weeks this past summer!

Others have mentioned driving vs. flying to Mal País. We have done both and definitely think that flying to Tambor is the best option. True, the roads of Puntarenas are not great, but we secretly believe they keep them this way on purpose. They are just rough enough to keep away day travelers, but smooth enough to provide a rustic pathway to a guaranteed vacation of a lifetime.

The place would be idyllic and nearly perfect on its own: three 2-bedroom villas (plus a smaller, more romantic honeymoon cottage), commodious and well appointed with A/C, eat-in kitchen, and sitting area. These are nothing less than architect-designed homes, and are thoughtfully and solidly constructed for maximum privacy inside and out. The villas are situated mere steps from a serene, unpopulated beach, and are set apart from the sea by a glorious pool and a thatched roof rancho where breakfast is served each morning (tasty and filling enough to hold you through the day without lunch).

Villas Hermosas would never, however, transcend this earthly splendor were it not for owners Brad and Tara, who manage to make one feel as if one is visiting great friends at their beach-front estate. This, simply put, is the magic of Hermosas. Everyone who stays there gets the vibe, and camaraderie with fellow guests is nearly a given. But there is more than enough space and privacy to have whatever sort of vacation one might desire; there's just something about the place that turns upside down the frown of the grumpiest guest . I know from our many days spent there that honeymooners and families alike all find just what they need in this tranquil paradise.

Brad and Tara make all of this happen and more. Any arrangements you need will be taken care of instantly and without fuss, whether surf lessons, a babysitter, a private chef, a zipline tour, or directions to Montezuma via the somewhat intimidating but mesmerizing road through the forest (make sure to take one day to visit the Montezuma waterfall and eat lunch at Playa de los artistas on the Montezuma beach). If you are interested in cooking for yourself (either in the villa or on the communal grill in the rancho), Brad and Tara will introduce you to their friend Demian whose seafood shop Product C is perhaps the finest fishmonger we've had the pleasure to visit anywhere in our many travels.

When you reach Villas Hermosas, you'll be hard-pressed to leave--and that has nothing to do with the roads!

• Liked — Arriving.
  • Disliked — Leaving.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank SkipMcCoy
Calgary
Reviewed January 20, 2009

I have to say that when my best friend told me she was getting married in Costa Rica I was a little weary, what with the 4 hour bus ride to the hotel from San Jose and all. But I have to say that it was probably the best trip I have ever been on in my life, and Villas Hermosas had a great deal to do with it.

When we pulled up we were greeted by Brad and Tara the owners, we were shown to our absolutely gorgeous cabinas, and around the grounds. There were about 16 of us staying there for the wedding, occupying all three cabinas on the property, and none of us felt cramped or like we needed space away from the others. Every morning when I woke up my view was that of jungle and the pool and rancho area where we all gathered in the morning to eat breakfast. The breakfast was fantastic, once you have gallo pinto you will never want to eat anything else for breakfast again.

In the evenings we would all gather on the beach for what we called Sunset TV. We would walk past the honeymoon suite that faces the beach and through an almond grove to the beach. And we would just all stand there and watch the amazing sunset, one of the most beautiful I have seen in my life. Brad and Tara would join us out on the beach as well, its a nightly event down there it seems.

The wedding was beautiful, my best friend and her husband got married during the beautiful sunset, and the reception was held by the pool. It was the most fantastic venue for a wedding and a couple of the other guests have mentioned they might get married there as well, because it was just so beautiful.

All in all Brad and Tara thank you for building this little piece of heaven in Mal Pais.

• Liked — Everything, from the rooms, to the food, to the beach
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends
toronto
Reviewed January 19, 2009

My husband and I just returned from a week at Villas Hermosas. Our high expectations were not only met, but completely blown away. Let me begin by saying that we are not the kind of people who like to go on holiday and "make friends", but it is impossible to stay at Villas Hermosas and not feel as though you've been vacationing with your pals. The owners, Brad and Tara, are like that cool couple in high school that everyone wanted to hang out with. Fun, engaging, completely accomodating, and surprisingly familiar.

We flew into San Jose and then took a short flight to Tambor...followed by a 1hour drive to VH. I would highly recommend going with the flight and forgoing the 6 hour drive from San Jose. The roads in Costa Rica are kind of like the old logging roads in B.C., but not as well maintained. It's a bit of a trek to get there, but as you'll soon learn, if it were easy to get to, everyone would be there. The beauty of VH, is that you're the only people in paradise.

We stayed in the honeymoon suite. As with everything at VH, the pictures on the website don't do it justice. It is large and beautiful with a full kitchen and a huge modern bathroom. You can always hear the hush of the ocean, and there is a lovely front porch for outdoor dining.

Breakfast is served every morning at the rancho...omelettes, waffles, pancakes, toast, and always fresh fruit and coffee. There are plenty of charming, amazing restaurants nearby, as well as grocery stores if you want to stock your kitchen. On Tara's recommendation, we hired a chef to come cook for us one night, and it was amazing. When in doubt about absolutely anything, ask Tara and Brad. They won't steer you wrong.

The beach is breathtaking. It is not an overly manicured, pimp my beach kind of place, with waiters serving blender drinks and jet skis racing by. This beach is completely untouched. The water is crystal clear, the sand is soft and warm, there is drift wood along the way, and beautiful tide pools form along the shore. Again, pictures don't do it justice. It is vast, and pristine, and powerfully beautiful.

Surfing is a way of life in this area. People plan their day around the tides. Some of the best surfing is just 100 meters down the beach from VH. Brad has boards to rent, and is a surfer himself. Ladies, feel free to give it a try. If you'd rather not, may I recommend sitting on the beach in front of VH and watching the ripped, strapping surfers parade by. Just a suggestion.

My husband and I are in our thirties, we were on holiday with my parents, and we both had an amazing time. It's hard to believe that one small boutique resort can appeal to so many people. VH is a great place for a romantic honeymoon, a safe place for kids, and a fun place for couples of any age.

There are no white gloves at VH. No whirlpool jacuzzis or butlers. There is no aquarobics, no piano bar, and not a buffet table in sight.

There is also no attitude. VH is a little piece of paradise, where you feel like you belong. People remember your name, and will do whatever they can to make your day. VH strikes that perfect balance of feeling like you're on a deserted island, without giving up the luxuries of home.

We loved Villas Hermosas. We will be back.

• Liked — Everything...beach, accomodations, personal service.
  • Disliked — not a thing.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank spinderella420
Moore1608
Reviewed January 16, 2009

We decided to get married down in Costa Rica this winter because we knew the owners of the hotel and the experience was above and beyond anything we ever expect. This has to be one of the most beautiful and untouched places on the planet. There are so few beaches that are accessible from a hotel that you can stand on without anyone else in site. The hotel is amazing, you can talk to everyone at the resort while being able to avoid everyone just as easily.

As for the wedding, if you're looking for a place where you can have a wedding on a beach this is the most beautiful location. The sun sets over the ocean, there are minimal people on the beach and the reception area is perfect for a small to medium sized group (there were about 50 for ours and there was more than enough room while still feeling very intimate). The available chefs in the area are amazing. I am a Celiac and they were completely accomidating, I think it was the best wedding cake I'd ever had let alone the best gluten free wedding cake!

As for the area, it's hard to get better. We had people surfing, snorkeling, scuba diving, horseback riding, ATVing, etc, etc. Everyone was able to find something to do. Coupled by a beautiful pool from which we viewed a variety of birds, monkey, lizards (one snake but Tara says in 5 years she's seen 5 snakes - I hate snakes) it was amazing.

If you are looking for a destination wedding we highly recommend it.

I can't say enough about the hotel. From the 40 people who flew down for the wedding there was nothing bad to say about the hotel. I would describe the wedding as relaxing - how many brides can say that - especially since it was so far away. If you ask Brad and Tara they have my recommendations for planning a wedding down there. (My husband would like me to note that not everyone was staying at the hotel, there were only about 16 people there officially but people came and went throughout the week).

I hope this helps. I understand it may sound biased but I've travelled around the world and down the pacific coast of Costa Rica. The Mal Pais area is the most beautiful area without being ridiculously touristy. There aren't people selling things up and down the beach. You can be on an amazing beach completely alone. It's a feeling you can't experience anywhere else. While saying all this it's extremely easy to travel around the area. The Costa Rican people are some of the friendliest people you could ever meet and most helpful. You wont be disappointed.

Sam

• Liked — Private while still feeling social and right on a beautiful beach with hardly anyone there.
  • Disliked — Roads aren't the best in the area for travel (you definitely need a four wheel drive)
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
Calgary
Reviewed January 4, 2009

Our stay in this beautiful part of the world just before Christmas was as a result of an invitation to a wedding being held @ Villas Hermosas, which incidentally means beautiful villas and true to their name in every way. The villas are spacious, tastefully decorated, well equipped, very comfortable and lacking nothing. They are located near Santa Teresa on the Pacific coast of the Nicoya Peninsula.

Both Brad and Tara, the owners, are delightful, as are their two beautiful children. They were perfect hosts and went out of their way to make us all feel welcome.

Delicious breakfasts were provided each morning outside under the Rancho located near the pool. The property is set amid a luscious tropical garden and only a stone’s throw from the beach where we all gathered each evening to watch the sun go down. This was also the location of the wedding ceremony……such a romantic setting. Days were spent relaxing in or beside the pool, strolling along the beach, rock pooling, swimming in the sea, and bird watching. One of the highlights was spotting several howler monkeys high in the trees. I was glad I brought my binoculars with me! Others in the party took surfing lessons from the beach nearby. A group of us enjoyed a day snorkeling from Tortuga Island one day. Incidentally there is even a secure play area for little ones, so a perfect place for family vacations, as well as other age groups.

I highly recommend this magical corner of the earth and definitely plan to return one day!

• Liked — Homely, comfortable beds, a beautiful setting, secure, air conditioning
  • Disliked — No complaints whatsoever
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
calgary
Reviewed December 30, 2008

Villa Hermosas is the most relaxing, intimate, and tranquil
resort I have ever been to. It is situated on the most beautiful stretch of beach in all of Costa Rica, paradise on earth! The villas are modern and provide all the comforts of home.
The owners, Brad and Tara, are fabulous hosts who make you feel right at home. I cannot put into words how much I loved my time there, let's just say leaving Villa Hermosas was one of the most challenging things I've had to do in my lifetime! When you're there, you really do forget about everything else and truly appreciate and enjoy living in the moment. Villa Hermosas is by far the "perfect" vacation spot in Costa Rica.
Thank you Brad and Tara.