There is little to say here that hasn't already been said, but I would be remiss, especially after the AMAZING 8 days that we spent at Villas Hermosa, to not attempt to write a review. In a word, this place is paradise. There are three large cabinas, and one smaller honeymoon cabina on the the most beautifully landscaped property, with a lovely built in pool, and just steps from the most gorgeous and secluded beach I've ever seen, The house is huge, and can easily sleep 6 people. There are two large bedrooms, two large bathrooms, a livingroom, kitchen and two porches. The maid service is outstanding...the house is cleaned to perfection everyday. Brad and Tara have so many little touches that make you feel spoiled...from the honor system fridge in the Rancho, to a lovely breakfast everyday, even a huge selection of DVD's to borrow for free. But, truly, what makes this place special is Brad and Tara themselves. They make you feel like family. The week we were there, Brad's brother was in, and he came with us on the quad tour that Brad does (MUST DO)...and later, other relatives came in, and there was a party. Well, guess what? When you stay at Villas Hermosa, your part of the family, too!! It was such a warm and inviting feeling to be included like that. All of the guests just sort of hang out at the pool, socialize, and after a few hours, you feel like you've known everyone their whole lives. Tara could not do enough for us, from directions, to suggestions to dinner reservations. She and Brad truly understand what customer service is all about. If you are planning a trip there, I cannot advise strongly enough NOT to miss Brad's quad tour. All I can say, is that it is about the most fun I've ever had. My husband and I, along with our two kids (ages 15 and 14), and Brad's brother went out for 5 of the most fun-filled and funniest hours on the entire trip. It was the highlight of our 8 days...and VERY reasonably priced.
The food in Santa Teresa, given it's remoteness is absolutely outstanding. My recommendations are the following:
1. Koji- absolutely fantastic sushi and Japanese. Expensive, but worth every penny. As good as the best sushi places in Manhattan.
2. Amici's- Best Italian in Santa Teresa. You'll see the Al Chile Voila is rated highly too, but we were disappointed with them. Amici's, however was fantastic. I am Itallian-American, and a New Yorker, and I'd eat here if it was in NYC. By far, the best and most authentic pizza in Santa Teresa, and fresh, creative and outstanding dishes.
3. Haberneros- this place, I would call "mexican inspired" or upscale mexican...very good, huge portions, delicious. Have the Aztec soup and the grilled lobster tacos!!
4. Zulu- cheap eats, OUTSTANDING falalel and hummus, great schnitzel...owned by Israeli's and taste like the food came straight out of the middle east.
5. Casa Del Mar- best service we had in Santa Teresa...OUTSTANDING empanadas (they are NOT on the menu, you need to ask), excellent pizza and great grilled meat platter.
6. Sapo Guapo- very slow service, but really good burgers, hotdogs, and chicken sandwiches.
7. Grocery Shopping and Liquor- Super Ronny or Super Ronny 2. Best prices and selection.
One last word on Santa Teresa- it is NOT easy to get to, In fact, it was the most adventerous road trip that we ever took. 4.5 hours from Liberia, half of that time on steep, unpaved dirt roads with no signs. If you rent a car and drive...make sure it is a 4x4, make SURE you have GPS, and make sure you take the full insurance. The reason WHY Santa Teresa is so awesome, is because it is so remore and difficult to get to. After we did the trip there and back, we agreed that it was SOOOOOO worth it, and we'd do it again in a heart beat. You can fly into Tambor on a puddle jumper, but to us, the price for those flights was not worth it. YOU NEED a car in Santa Teresa as everything is very spread out, so rather than pay for transports, and also pay for the rental, we just drove ourselves. No easy, but doable if you are willing to tough it out a bit. Overall, the absolute BEST vacation we ever took. We WILL be BACK NEXT YEAR!! Thank you, Brad and Tara, for having a vision, taking a risk, and creating paradise on earth. We miss you already!! - The Lurie's!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The distinctive beachfront hotel, Villas Hermosas, is located in Playa Hermosa of Mal Pais on the Pacific Ocean in Costa Rica. Please come and share with them their playful surf, thriving jungle, empty beaches, tropical gardens, and inviting swimming pool, while enjoying all the comforts of home! With only four villas, they offer a uniquely intimate experience. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Villas Hermosas Hotel Santa Teresa
- Hermosas Hotel Santa Teresa
- Villas Hermosas Costa Rica/Santa Teresa