“AMAZINGLY AWESOME IN EVERY WAY!!! =)”

and 1 more site!
Blue Surf Sanctuary
Ranked #3 of 27 Santa Teresa B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 8, 2010

We traveled with one other couple (4 total) and reserved two bungalows, one for each couple. We do not share the rooms, as we were going to more of a couples getaway than a surfing getaway.

With that said, this location was perfect for either of the two options (group travel or romantic travel). The bungalows are very private and quiet. We did not hear anyone else while in our rooms. The A/C worked very well, and the rooms and bathrooms were awesome. I can definitely tell that Gloria is very detail oriented, as the rooms were decorated well, not like a hotel at all. Her taste is great! The property was also very cool... the shared kitchen worked well because we had a decent sized fridge, huge stove/oven, full sink and lot of counter space to work with. We cooked almost every day, and made good use of the kitchen. The location was pretty cool as well, the walk to the beach is very short, and you get to see some locals on the way down to the beach as well as a horse, and a restaurant. The restaurant had great food and is located right on the beach with a superb view. Decent prices, too. The pool at the hotel is a great size, very clean and crystal clear blue. The best thing about the property is the amazing landscaping. It is like a tropical oasis. I say this because they have like 10-20 species of tropical plants, all of which were in full bloom the entire time we were there. They even have 2 huge coconut/palm trees that you can see up close from the bunaglow balconies (each bungalow has it's own private balcony with 2 chairs and a small table) with french doors that open up to it).

Last, but certainly not least.. the staff were amazing. There are 3 main ladies (Sofi, Pia, & Silvina) all of who are gorgeous and fun!! They are very knowledgeable about the town and what it has to offer, including the superb restaurants. They made reservations anytime we wanted to go anywhere and arranged for the cabs very quickly!! They seemed to love helping in any way they could. Also, the maid MiMi is excellent. She cleaned the rooms top to bottom each day and changed the sheets on the 3rd day as the hotel promises without us having to ask. She is very trustworthy and did not take one cent out of room even when we accidentally left money out.

So, to say the least.. it was an excellent vacation. We can't wait to go back.. and we will definitely be staying at Blue Surf Sanctuary. We did not see a place that even compared in the entire town!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
BlueSurfST, Owner at Blue Surf Sanctuary, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2010

Namaste Laura~ Thank you so much for taking the time to write this ~!! Much love & light, Gloria

There are newer reviews for Blue Surf Sanctuary

Reviewed May 10, 2010

First off, I didn't actually stay at Blue Surf. When I called them to inquire about staying over the Christmas and New Year's holidays, they didn't have the whole time available. But Gloria and Pia went completely out of their way to help me arrange my trip to Sta Teresa/Mal Pais anyway, and without them I wouldn't have had such an amazing time. https://tonic.tripadvisor.com/SavedPhotos-g899424-i25378961%2C25378962%2C25378963-Santa_Teresa_Province_of_Puntarenas.html

Even though I couldn't stay at the property, I decided I would take my surf instruction there, and just about every day I came to take lessons. The instructors were amazing, the surf was terrific, the beaches heavenly. Sofia, Pia, Toro, Paula . . . everyone was just gorgeous inside and out. I was traveling for the holidays on my own, and they made me feel so welcome, like family.

I would go back in a heartbeat, and I would happily stay there, in this little nook of Paradise.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed April 23, 2010

We stayed here for my friend’s 30th birthday and we brought home great memories of our stay at Blue Surf Sanctuary. The property is more beautiful in person than how it looks on the website. It was more than what I expected. The property is very well maintained and the rooms are impeccably clean. The bungalows have modern furnishings yet give a comfy, relaxing feel. The staff is friendly and many, many thanks to Pia for all her great recommendations on places to eat and activities, and especially for her efforts on making our stay so enjoyable. Pia also gave us our last surf lesson and she is a great surfing instructor. Although there were 3 of us for the lesson, she was still able to give us individualized attention. Johno, our instructor for our initial surfing lessons, was also great and this is proven by being able to stand on the board on our very first lesson.

The beach is a very short walk, less than 5 minutes, and is clean and not crowded. If you are looking for a vibrant nightlife, there really isn’t one. I really enjoyed the area because it has not yet been “commercialized” with major hotel chains. Personally, I hope it stays that way.

If you decide to drive to Santa Teresa from San Jose or Tambor airport (the better choice), be ready for the dirt roads which start after Cobano. It was quite an experience for us. A 4X4 is highly recommended. Also parking at Blue Surf is limited.

This is a great place for all types i.e. girls getaway, family vacation, solo or group travel. I highly recommend staying at Blue Surf.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with friends

Thank you~Thank you~Thank you~!!

Reviewed April 12, 2010

I came on this trip with high expectations that were to no surprise, fulfilled. The staff (& I hesitate calling them that because they are more like family) made me feel right at home. Everything from healthy breakfasts to knowledgeable surf instructors to gorgeous and clean rooms gave me a sense of peace plus money well spent. The location is great (a short bike ride into town but outside enough where you can find solace) and the hotel and extra perks it comes with are very well organized. I had a wonderful time here and met incredible people while also having time for myself, which was altogether exciting, indelible and adventurous. I also moved up in the ranks from beginner to intermediate surfer thanks to the ever-so talented and patient instructors!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled solo

So blessed to have clients like you that take time to compliment us~ so appreciated ~!

Reviewed March 10, 2010

To describe Blue Surf would be impossible without first saying that without Gloria (the owner) our entire wedding/vacation for us and all 20 of our guests would not have been what it was without her. Prior to our arrival she spent a great deal of time answering questions, giving suggestions, sharing tips and ideas and just being a wonderful, caring support. We knew instantly that this is where our guests should stay. We had all four bungalows booked at Blue Surf and others stayed at Villas Almendros, Red Palm, Milarepa and Casa Cecilia. Hands down, Blue Surf was chosen as the favorite for everyone. Sophie welcomed everyone with a big smile and was one of the most genuine and loving people we met in Santa Teresa. Pia, the manager, Sophie and Paula had so many excellent suggestions for restaurants and things to do around the area. They made us feel welcome and cared for and were all so fun to hang out with!
We loved Santa Teresa (in particular this area of the town) so much that we returned to spend the rest of our honeymoon there.
Rooms were cleaned thoroughly daily and there was an open kitchen for guest use, both which were not the case for all locations. There was 24hr security, board and bike rentals and an awesome surf school!
Blue Surf Sanctuary is not your typical surf accommodation. It has a real sense of style, modern but cool tropical, immaculately maintained and relaxing with a quiet, peaceful pool.
We cannot say enough to thank Gloria and her staff for a most memorable holiday. We would hands down recommend Blue Surf to anyone visiting Santa Teresa.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 9, 2010

What an amazing place. This lovely little place is comprised of 4 small bungalows lovingly decorated and very comfortably equiped with AC, beautiful bathrooms and adoreable little patio with french doors. Pia, Sophia and Paolo (the fantastic ladies who usher you into your vacation and help with absolutetly everything) are the nicest you'll find. We will be back for sure and would highly recommend you visit!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed March 6, 2010

Blue Surf is THE BEST PLACE TO STAY IN SANTA THERESA!!!! unbelievably gorgeous place to stay. the rooms are amazing, gorgeously built, designed, & decorated. Super clean!
it feels tucked away sanctuary, so nice and quiet, private, but so close to the beach as well.
i think the best part of the beach too, with great surf amenities and restaurant on the beach open under the shade trees. the STAFF at Blue Surf are the best i have every seen. Sophie, Pia and Paola, (and of course Toro!!) all took wonderful care and attention to myself and my friends who stayed there. every single need we had was taken care of with enthusiasm, grace, speed, and fun! Really, those amazing gorgeous woman are the reason my stay there was so great and memorable!! i will miss you all! BUT, will be back as soon as i can. And of course, the surfing lessons and boards, & bikes for rent. highly reccommend the surf lesson with Toro!!! Book thru the girls. worth it!!
i highly recommend Blue Surf to anyone travelling either alone, or with a group of friends. this is the kind of place where you can feel like you have your own intimate place to enjoy being social or not. there is a kitchen and dining area that feels like home, but in a Cost Rican way, and a great great pool surrounded by lush flowering plants and butterflies and humming birds. you can make your own meals or have them made for you. there is a fridge for guests as well. all in all, the best stay i've had anywhere. thats me!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with friends