“Pure paradise! Great yoga, great stay!”

Horizon Ocean View Hotel and Yoga Center
Ranked #4 of 26 Hotels in Santa Teresa
Minneapolis
“Pure paradise! Great yoga, great stay!”
Reviewed October 2, 2010

We stayed here at the beginning of January 2010 and we absolutely LOVED this place. Fantastic yoga, clean comfortable rooms, relaxing pool. It was truly amazing!

During the days we took a short walk down to the beach with our surfboards and spent most of the days surfing and relaxing on the beach (the tides get a little crazy at times - be aware). There was also a great restaurant just up the road from Horizon Yoga where we went for dinner twice. They had amazing fish and fresh drinks (like the mango bellini). There are not a whole lot of restaurants and bars in town. Santa Teresa seems to be a place that is geared more towards relaxation. (We came here after spending a few days in Montezuma, which had much more of a busy nightlife scene.)

I would strongly recommend the sunset yoga which was true bliss! My husband and I also had a couples massage at the hotel and that was also amazing! Just make sure you go when it's not during the hottest time of the day.

One negative thing about our stay was that there were loud music at night (3 of the 4 nights we stayed) that kept us up. I think it came from one of the neighboring compounds, so it wasn't Horizon's fault. It did however mess with our sleep and I wish we had some earplugs.

My husband and I are all about trying new places, but I think we may need to come back to Horizon Yoga again soon!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Hebrew first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed August 30, 2010

The Horizon Team has truly created a spot to relax into, whether this means taking a dip in one of their pools, chilling at the cafe which has a deck and a view, or taking a yoga class in what must be one of the most picturesque yoga studios that exists. Imagine taking a class an open air facility on a hill with a view right out to the Pacific. After a class,you might decide to treat yourself to a tahini smoothie from their cafe. I can personally attest to the deliciousness of their food, and their sesame cookies are the perfect snack for a long car ride! Our accommodations were very clean and inviting, with a hammock and sky chair on one of the decks of our cabin. A special touch was the way our fresh towels appeared on our bed each day intricately folded into cool designs. The windows and glass patio doors were so spotless that I had trouble believing that there really was glass between me and the lush green plantings outside. Kudos to Horizon for excellent customer service and creating quite a sanctuary.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
ottawa
Reviewed August 25, 2010

The owners found, designed, built and run this spot. I think they are living their dream. After a couple of days of their food, yoga and the pacific you can get to a pretty good place. The cabins are cool. 2 storey, 1and1/2 bath. shared pool With only 1 other cabin hammock. AC comes in handy with the heat. Beach town so don't expect disney world.

• Stayed April 2010
Henderson, Nevada
Reviewed August 25, 2010

My wife and I stayed for 5 days and did the Yoga and Surfing retreat which included a 5 Yoga class, 5 surfing lessons, a couples massage, horseback ride on the beach, and a sunset meditation. It also included a pwer chake and breakfast every day at the tea house and $50 towards dinner at one of the restaurants in town pre arranged by the owners.

The food at the tea house is incredible and the restaurants were very good for the most part (the sushi place was not great). The yoga classes were some of the best I have ever taken. The surfing was a lot of fun as well.

The hotel itself is very beautiful. You can hear the ocean and the occaisonal howler monkey, and it is overall a very relaxing place. We particularly enjoyed the hammock. The rooms were very nice and clean. Our room had no TV which was a nice change.

We really liked the area and rented a 4 wheeler to get around. The locals were all very friendly and accomodating. We made a trip to Monezuma on the 4 wheeler on the back road (through Cubaya not Cobano) which was quite and adventure. I would reccomend it as Montezuma is a neat town as well.

Yoav, the yoga instructor, and his wife Gali (the owners) made our stay very enjoyable. They arranged everything for us and were quick to offer suggestions.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank benvendw34
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed August 21, 2010

This is my second stay at Horizon Yoga Hotel. It is like coming home. The environment is peaceful, the rooms with perfect views and private balconies. Great Yoga and Massage, any activity your wanting and the hotel will help you to arrange it. I had horses greet me at my door for an early morning ride. Found myself included in a surf lesson for sunset, massage waiting for me at days end. But the secret ingredient to what makes this hotel superb is it's owners. They are class and kindness. Their ability to welcome warms the heart, and their art in the kitchen proviides spectacular tastes that awaken your senses. I look forward to returning and encourage anyone seeking healing, relaxation, peace, and plenty of options for activity to seek out this hotel in Costa Rica.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed August 5, 2010

We had a great three nights at Horizon, Yoga classes were great.

There is a great tea house in the hotel which is open for breakfast but there is a great restaurant 3 min walk & we cooked for ourselves in the kitchenette (there is one in every bungalow).
We highly recommend! Have fun.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles
Reviewed July 19, 2010

TYPE OF TRIP:
This is the kind of place to go when your boyfriend or husband wants to surf and you (the wife or girlfriend) want to exercise and have yoga classes at your fingertips. The yoga studio is above their family run restaurant with beautiful views of the ocean.
Yoga everyday @ 9am! Yoav, the owner, is a fantastic instructor, has the meditative voice need to create a relaxing yoga vibe.

ROOMS/FACILITIES:
The rooms are super clean, so much so, that I didn't even need to wear my flip flops (and normally I wear them everywhere). Shower was great, they cleaned the rooms every day. The kitchen served well to cook some meals - we cooked a great fish and rice that we got from the market in town (owned by a cute French couple). Beautiful view from your balcony, perfect to eat dinner on. The restaurant has the best smoothies and sandwiches, all fresh ingredients. Only downfall was that the beds were a bit hard and the room lets a lot of morning light in. However if you plan on going to bed early and getting up when the sun rises, it's all good.

PRICING:
LOVED this yoga retreat without the huge packaged yoga retreat prices.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple