All reviewsopen airhowler monkeysoutdoor bathroomour honeymoonno glass in the windowstiger heroncosta ricamain buildingresort groundsbamboo strawsfavorite memoriesfree bicyclesmosquito netcevichespent days nightslaid backcomfort zone
Reviewed May 9, 2008

we stayed for 7 nights on our honeymoon. latitude 10 is intimate and secluded, with a relaxed atmosphere. as the place accommodates 10 people maximum there is almost a feeling that at times we had our own private resort.. we stayed 2 nights in the master suite which is a sumptuouos airy villa facing the ocean and with an air of colonial grandeur. we loved the enormous outdoor shower and verada to drink our evening beers on. the junior suite was smaller but no less charming. the only thing we could have done with was a fridge. the hotel leads directly to the beach which is deserted 95% of the time, save for the odd beach comber/jogger/snorkeller ambling past. all the rooms have no locks or windows and we felt very safe. the lack of windows means there is no air con. we felt the need to ask for an extra fan because the temperature doesn't fall below 25 degrees which was a bit much at night. the food is cooked by sebastian the chef and was fantastic. the staff were very accommodating and helped us out with renting surf boards/car etc. highly recommended for chilled out holiday but with bit of luxury too.

Stayed: April 2008
Reviewed April 3, 2008

Latitude 10 was everything I expected. Personal service, unique accomodations, and a beautiful and remote setting.

I was somewhat worried when I learned a week before my arrival that Latitude 10 had been purchased by the owners of nearby Florblanca. I became even more concerned when I saw that the new room rates were substantially higher than those I booked and the meal plan had been eliminated. I had read issues about rates and prices at Florblanca suddenly being charged at higher rates than previously represented.

My concerns were unfounded. My previously booked rate was honored. The meal plan no longer existed, but the prices for meals were not at all out of line for the quality of meals prepared.

I am not at all sure how best to describe this resort. It is personal and intimate. An ideal place for honeymooners, or couples just looking for a place to get away from the everyday hustle and bustle of the city.

The layout of the resort is well designed. The center of the resort is the clubhouse/dining room. The pool is immediately in front of this meeting/dining area. On each side of the clubhouse are the master suites, both considered ocean front. The three junior suites are actually behind the clubhouse to the left, right and center. All the suites are separate standing structures hidden amongst the landscaping.

For those worried about privacy, each suite can only be reached through its own pathway. There is no reason to go down the pathway (at least for the master suites) unless you are going to that particular suite. Although the roofs and parts of the side of the stuctures can be seen from the clubhouse, they are each just far enough away and surrounded by the jungle to be quiet and secluded.

Although I said above the resort is an ideal place for honeymooners and couples, it was also perfect for my family of five, with an 8 year old, 14 year old and 16 year old. In fact, during part of our stay, all but one of the bungalow/suites were occupied by families with kids of all ages. And all of the kids loved it! It was amazing how much fun the kids could have when there was no tv, internet or cell phone available.

But you honeymooner's and couples don't worry. First, it was Easter break. My guess is there are very few other times of the year when families will be traveling to a place like Latititude 10. Second, the suites are secluded enough that I doubt the kids were an issue for the couples that were there during our stay, except perhaps around the pool, And finally, I was told that one of the new policies being implemented by Florblanca, is that no more children under age 12 will be allowed.

While I would take my kids there again in a second, I must say that when we walked into our Master Suite, I said to my wife, this would be alot more fun if it were the two of us. The suite was beautiful, with dark woods, romantic lighting and candles, and an open air design that is difficult to describe. The attention to detail was evident at every turn. And the ventilation could not have been better. In the heat of dry season, the breeze at night (along with the whisper quiet ceiling fan) kept the room extremely cool and comfortable.

The outdoor bathrooms were also stunning. Nothing quite like taking a shower outdoors! My son especially enjoyed seeing a monkey in a tree above him while he was taking a shower!

Others have raved about the food and staff, and those raves were well deserved. We enjoyed all of our meals (and drinks!)and thoroughly enjoyed the personal attention we received from all the staff. They knew just the right amount of attention to give and were always there if needed.

If we had a special request, the request was met, whether asking Sebastian to make something special for the kids, or having any one of the staff giving input on the next days activities. The new ownership would be well served if they make as few changes a possible to the stafff and how they serve their guests.

I always try to think of what things could be improved. With Latitude 10, that list is small. My wife pointed out there were no robes, kleenex, or blow driers in the room. Her point was for that kind of money, they should provide those type of amenties. Probably a valid point. The only negative comment we could come up with on the meals was that soups were not Sebastion's strength. They were good, but they were not spectacular like everything else he prepared.

One thing guests should be aware of is that some of the representations on the new website have not yet come to fruition. There is no wireless internet service in the rooms yet and if each room has a four wheeler, that was news to us. My guess is those are amenities planned for the future that have not yet been added.

We had a wonderful stay at Latitude 10 and will recommend it to our friends as a place to go with or without kids. We are hopeful that on spring/easter break weeks and Christmas, the resort will consider relaxing its kids policy and allow children under 12 during those time periods because I would hate to have to wait 3 or 4 years to return with my family.

Regardless, we plan on returning. Latitude 10 is a special place and provides a unique environment that should not be missed

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed March 30, 2008

This is an amazing get away...very private, just 6 rooms scattered around the property, big common area for food and hanging out....amazing staff and chef (Sebastian) who has a different menu for you every day.

The rooms are all open air with fans (there's only one with A/C, and it's small and in the main building.) We were always fine at night, cool enough and no mosquitos as this is a very dry area....

There are of course, the usual beach and Costa Rica critters all around...monkeys, birds, crabs all over the beach, funny little jungle squirrels....all wonderful and beautiful.

Surfing is the main attraction in this area, and the hotel is on the beach but the best surfing is about 10 minutes down the beach...in front of the hotel are great tide pools in rocks...great for wading...but not surfing.

The hotel is now associated with Flora Blanca next door, which just gives you another pool, but keeps the Latitude 10 area separate and special. The yoga at Flora Blanca is also great -- 2 times a day and also private sessions.

This is a great place to "get away from it all" -- or for a larger family party...where you want to stay together but have space...we had 10 people travelling...adults and 4 teen boys who were surfers and it worked out great!

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed January 3, 2008

Latitude Ten Degrees was a paradise beyond belief. I have stayed at various Four Seasons and Ritz Carltons around the world and this resort by far surpasses all that I have resided at in terms of quality and charm. Of all the places we stayed in Costa Rica (Tabacon in L'Arenal and Gaia in Manuel Antonio), this was by far superior.

We had gourmet meals every night from the French chef. What reviews dont tell you is that food is very important as restaurants close up early in Santa Teresa. Also, if you want gourmet food, it is not always easy to find around town. Many places are small little joints with run-of-the-mill dining options. Some of our dining delights included at the resort included seared ahi on a bed of lentils, beet salad with blue cheese and walnuts, and homemade gelato. Whats great abotu latitude ten is that they make the menu according to what you want. Before youa rrive, they will send a questionairre to find out what foods you like, so they can serve them during your visit. (FYI, everything is organic and delicious)

As for location, Latitude ten has a corner on the market. We had our own private beach area in front of the hotel. A hop, skip, and a jump down the beach from one of the big surg breaks in Santa Teresa. My husband loved it as he did not have to drive to surf in the am. And if we didnt feel like beaching it, we could retreat back to the pool house to listen and watch the waves from the resort pool at the clubhouse.

Latitude ten bungalos are also a special treat. There are only four bungaloes at the facility. They are separated with much foliage and trees so one party never hears a whisper of the other. We were in the honeymoon suite on the water. We could see the waves as we were tucked in bed at night. The entire bungalo is open air and at night, the staff comes in and lights it with candles and incense to create a wonderful mood. Amazing! (All of the candles and scents are catered to your desires, they offer a wide variety).

For eco-friendly people (such as myself), the entire resort is sustainable. They use organic everything and ar completely self sufficient with solar panels and recyclable products. It still amazes me that they can create such a high quality resort and still be sustainable. What the Ritz' excuse?

Lastly, another differentiating factor is that Latitude Ten is the newest resort in Santa Teresa. It opened in early 2007. (That is why it actually does not pop up first on google or other resort planning websites when searching for resorts in ST). Others like Mal Pais and Flora Blanca win out as they have been the standard in the past. But I guarantee they pale is comparison. They look tired and warn down. Latitude Ten is plush, incredibly well-irrigated and rich. What a breath of fresh air! I guarantee you will be so disappointed if you stay at those over Latitude Ten.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank courtneymccolgan
Reviewed December 20, 2007

My husband and I finished our stay in Santa Teresa/Mal Pais with three nights at Latitude 10. The property is absolutely beautiful. Originally constructed as a private retreat, the owners opened it as a hotel in 2007. There is a stunning, open air clubhouse for dining and lounging. A second floor room above the lovely kitchen is used as a massage and yoga studio. The views of the ocean from this perch are amazing. Guests stay in bungalows of varying size. We had a junior suite in the garden and it was beautiful. The teak bungalow is windowless and has an open air bathroom. The bed was fabulous with loads of pillows. A lovely chaise, desk and armoire round out the furnishings. Also, included were a coffeemaker, flashlights and Skintastic. A porch with two comfy chairs made a for a nice spot for reading.

Meals are prepared by Sebastian, a French chef, and his assistant, Yvette. While we were staying there we only had one of his amazing meals as he had to take a few days off for personal business. His replacement, Matt, turned out to be a fellow Torontonian and a fabulous cook. Along with two fantastic dinners, we also got a lot of great information about where to eat and shop in Toronto from him.

When not eating or sleeping, we lounged around the pool with a glass of wine and our heads in our books. When we tired of that we'd take our drinks and books and lounge on the beach chaises or in the hammock.

There was only one other couple at the resort while we were there and on Friday they left. The place was all our's! I spent some time wandering around the property taking photos of the gardens and checking out the other bungalows (all were gorgeous).

To ensure we never experienced the slightest discomfort was the amazing staff. Marianne (sp?), Johnny and Jenny ran the place with the friendliest professionalism. We were just so impressed with each of them and one of the best parts of our trips was getting to know them.

As we were leaving early in the morning for the long flight home, Johnny handed us a couple doubledecker ham and cheese sandwiches Matt had left for us. How nice is that?

At the Tambor airstrip we encountered Jenny who was meeting her mother's plane. We had the great pleasure of being able to tell Jenny's mother how impressed we were with her wonderful daughter.

Now, I'm hoping I've said many things that would make you not want to stay there because I want there always to be space for me. However, I really do hope that Latitude 10 does well and is constantly booked. The setting is lovely and the staff has worked very hard to make staying there very special and memorable for the guests.

PS
I forgot to mention the dogs! They are friendly and adorable.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple