“Chicas surf camp”

Ranked #16 of 26 Hotels in Santa Teresa
victoria bc canada
“Chicas surf camp”
Reviewed March 3, 2014 via mobile

This was a great location and the food was amazing. Staff is very nice and helpful. I stayed In an apartment which I highly recommend if you are anyway afraid of creepy crawlies. Everything is screened and I only saw a few things in my room ..including a small spider that was walking on my face. Lol

The owner Gaby is super cool and friendly.

Stayed February 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Newquay
Reviewed February 18, 2014

Stayed at Funky Monkey Surf Camp in January 2014. Really well run camp that ticked all the boxes. From the airy comfortable rooms, to fantastic food that never disappointed I couldn't have had a better stay. Thanks to all the staff there.
I'll definitely be staying again next time im in the area.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Newquay
Reviewed February 18, 2014

This is the fourth time that I have stayed at FM and it gets better and better. An excellent location, friendly, helpful staff, clean and safe. The food was way beyond anything that I expected. Gabi was on hand to help out with any logistics. Bruno, Nacho and the crew were delivering lovely food and awesome Mojito's. Will definitely use this spot again.

Room Tip: The Bungalows are epic. But there are great options to suit all budgets.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed December 10, 2013 via mobile

I was recommended this hostel from a friend who lives in Santa Teresa. And it didn't disappoint. The dorm was really spacious and very clean. It was so nice to hear the crashing waves below on the beach from our Cabina. We were there during rainy season so we had the whole dorm to ourselves. The staff are great, very helpful, The food at the bar is amazing. I don't eat fish normally but heard so much about the Mahi Mahi and I'm so glad I tried it! There is also a big open kitchen above the pool area if you want to cook yourself.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 21, 2013

We stayed for 3 very comfortable nights. Funky Monkey is a little more rustic than I am used too, but I am very glad I booked this lodge for my family. The price is right! We bumped into another family (they had 2 daughters) on their way out and they gave us great restaurant recommendations. The staff hooked us up with Juan from Natura Surf Life and we booked surf lessons for the next 3 days. So much fun! One day we went to Montezuma Falls. A great place to see.
The lodge has a great outdoor bar and restaurant. We did eat out mostly because there are so many amazing dining options in Santa Teresa. To save a few dollars we did buy fruit and yogurt at the grocery store and ate breakfast at the communal kitchen up above the pool. Sushi night was great at the Funky Monkey, they do it once a week and all the locals attend.
The staff was very helpful. They even prepared coffee early for me since I'm an early bird. There is a ping pong table, pool table and chess board to keep you entertained if you don't feel like taking a dip in the pool or booking private or group yoga lessons.
Our room had a full size bed and bunk beds, safe and mini fridge.The outdoor bathroom was amazing. A private shower in the sun, yes please! We all fought over the hammock on our porch. It is open concept...there are screens, mosquito netting and fans. You need to be ok with this. I will tell you though we ended our stay in Costa Rica at a 5 star resort and had fire ants in our room. You are in Costa Rica, there will be bugs!
The younger foreign and American travelers/backpackers were of no complaint to us, they never disturbed us. They kept to themselves or were pleasant.
Funky Monkey is in a great location. You can walk to the store, beach and to restaurants. It is set on top of a hill down a short road so that you are not on the main street going in and out of town.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Siokk
Reviewed September 25, 2013

We were planning to stay a couple of days but ended up staying a week- great accommodation (garden bathrooms, great pool etc), good location near the surf and cool cafes / restaurants, made outstanding by the staff- managers Tom and Bruno kept the reggae vibes and rum flowing in equal measure. Good times! see you again soon :)

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank FaceTheSunset
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Everything was lovely until I was asked to move into another room because a party of eleven was expected in the dormitory. The shared room I was placed in wasn't pleasant at all. Plain. Sad. Boring. I had planned on staying a few extra days, but decided to leave instead.

Overall, I really enjoyed my conversations with Tina (morning cook). Nacho's Mojitos (also excellent cook and extremely nice). Elio, the new receptionist is super sweet and welcoming. Besides that, I'd say Funkey Monkey is a good place to be if you're traveling with friends. However, if you're traveling alone don't expect much from your surroundings especially during low season. I did feel bored/alone once or twice and didn't know what to do with myself. I mostly made friends with the locals -- played futbol, spent hours at the beach, danced at La Lora Amarilla, and slept.

Left to Montezuma soon after I was placed in the breadbox of a room...now Montezuma is a different review. :) <3

Cheers,
D.

Room Tip: Dorms and bungalows are pretty sweet.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends