Funky Monkey Lodge
Hotel Santa Teresa(Santa Teresa)(Great Value!)
$84
$75
$85
$82
$207
Travelocity
Atrapasuenos Dreamcatcher Hotel(Santa Teresa)(Great Value!)
$108
Florblanca Resort(Santa Teresa)
$600
Travelocity
Beach Break Surf Hotel(Santa Teresa)(Great Value!)
$40
Casa MarBella(Santa Teresa)(Great Value!)
$104
Hotel Tropico Latino(Santa Teresa)
$189
TripAdvisor
Hotels.com
Surf Vista Villas(Santa Teresa)
TripAdvisor
All reviewssushi nightnachospura vidacosta ricabring earplugslight sleeperpool tableping pong tablecool guysgreat accommodationoutdoor bathroomtropical birdsplace to stayyoga studiomosquito netthe main roadcommunal kitchen
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 10, 2013 via mobile

I was recommended this hostel from a friend who lives in Santa Teresa. And it didn't disappoint. The dorm was really spacious and very clean. It was so nice to hear the crashing waves below on the beach from our Cabina. We were there during rainy season so we had the whole dorm to ourselves. The staff are great, very helpful, The food at the bar is amazing. I don't eat fish normally but heard so much about the Mahi Mahi and I'm so glad I tried it! There is also a big open kitchen above the pool area if you want to cook yourself.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 21, 2013

We stayed for 3 very comfortable nights. Funky Monkey is a little more rustic than I am used too, but I am very glad I booked this lodge for my family. The price is right! We bumped into another family (they had 2 daughters) on their way out and they gave us great restaurant recommendations. The staff hooked us up with Juan from Natura Surf Life and we booked surf lessons for the next 3 days. So much fun! One day we went to Montezuma Falls. A great place to see.
The lodge has a great outdoor bar and restaurant. We did eat out mostly because there are so many amazing dining options in Santa Teresa. To save a few dollars we did buy fruit and yogurt at the grocery store and ate breakfast at the communal kitchen up above the pool. Sushi night was great at the Funky Monkey, they do it once a week and all the locals attend.
The staff was very helpful. They even prepared coffee early for me since I'm an early bird. There is a ping pong table, pool table and chess board to keep you entertained if you don't feel like taking a dip in the pool or booking private or group yoga lessons.
Our room had a full size bed and bunk beds, safe and mini fridge.The outdoor bathroom was amazing. A private shower in the sun, yes please! We all fought over the hammock on our porch. It is open concept...there are screens, mosquito netting and fans. You need to be ok with this. I will tell you though we ended our stay in Costa Rica at a 5 star resort and had fire ants in our room. You are in Costa Rica, there will be bugs!
The younger foreign and American travelers/backpackers were of no complaint to us, they never disturbed us. They kept to themselves or were pleasant.
Funky Monkey is in a great location. You can walk to the store, beach and to restaurants. It is set on top of a hill down a short road so that you are not on the main street going in and out of town.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Siokk
Reviewed September 25, 2013

We were planning to stay a couple of days but ended up staying a week- great accommodation (garden bathrooms, great pool etc), good location near the surf and cool cafes / restaurants, made outstanding by the staff- managers Tom and Bruno kept the reggae vibes and rum flowing in equal measure. Good times! see you again soon :)

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank FaceTheSunset
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Everything was lovely until I was asked to move into another room because a party of eleven was expected in the dormitory. The shared room I was placed in wasn't pleasant at all. Plain. Sad. Boring. I had planned on staying a few extra days, but decided to leave instead.

Overall, I really enjoyed my conversations with Tina (morning cook). Nacho's Mojitos (also excellent cook and extremely nice). Elio, the new receptionist is super sweet and welcoming. Besides that, I'd say Funkey Monkey is a good place to be if you're traveling with friends. However, if you're traveling alone don't expect much from your surroundings especially during low season. I did feel bored/alone once or twice and didn't know what to do with myself. I mostly made friends with the locals -- played futbol, spent hours at the beach, danced at La Lora Amarilla, and slept.

Left to Montezuma soon after I was placed in the breadbox of a room...now Montezuma is a different review. :) <3

Cheers,
D.

Room Tip: Dorms and bungalows are pretty sweet.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Darnitdee
Reviewed July 8, 2013

wonderful view, tropical, wild, romantic
I stayed in a dormitory comfortable and pleasant
at night you can hear howl monkeys
I recall surfers and cool travelers around
there's even a swimming pool
Also well managed by an Israeli

Room Tip: private rooms vs. dormitory
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple