Funky Monkey Lodge
Manala Hotel(Santa Teresa)(Great Value!)
$100
Savings alert! 12% below average rates

The price you found is 12% lower than this hotel's average rate of $114/night.

$146
Hotel Tropico Latino(Santa Teresa)
$135
Villas Solar(Santa Teresa)(Great Value!)
$110
Otro Lado Lodge and Restaurant(Santa Teresa)(Great Value!)
$68
Canaima Chill House(Santa Teresa)(Great Value!)
$89
$86
Hotels.com
Blue Surf Sanctuary(Santa Teresa)
$110
Fuego Lodge(Santa Teresa)(Great Value!)
$295
Hotwire.com
Florblanca Resort(Santa Teresa)
$388
All reviewssushi nightnachospura vidacosta ricabring earplugslight sleeperpool tableping pong tablecool guysgreat accommodationoutdoor bathroomtropical birdsplace to stayyoga studiomosquito netthe main roadcommunal kitchen
Reviewed June 9, 2013

The Funky Monkey in Santa Teresa should be your first choice when considering a place to stay in Santa Teresa, there is no better option.

This was our second trip to the Funky Monkey. I can't tell you enough how much I loved staying there both times. The owners and staff are incredible. The rooms are perfect. We stayed in the bungalows both times with a gorgeous view from the hammock overlooking the hillside and ocean.

Then there's the food. The FOOD! I had the most amazing mahi-mahi in a creamed cucumber dill sauce, it changed my life. The kitchen staff could cook in any boutique restaurant in Manhattan but instead they are nestled in Santa Teresa like the pearl in an oyster.

The manager Bruno attended to our every need, which for us isn't a long list, mainly coffee in the morning and a steady flow of beer in the evening. He arranged a cab for us from Montezuma and set us up for travel back to Jaco. We didn't need to raise a finger or spend an extra dime over the cost he gave us. He has set us up with flights, cabs, surfing and zip-lines and every time the plans went flawlessly. Any hotel would be lucky to have Bruno as a manager.

The owners are the sweetest couple and make us feel like a part of their own family. I can't express enough how much we enjoy their company and insight. Gabi, Emilio and Bruno will always be on our list of people to visit whenever we are in Costa Rica.

Room Tip: If you are traveling in a small group (2-3) stay in the bungalow its the best space for the money. we stayed there for our honeymoon (second trip) and it was incredible. the suite is awesome but it can get a bit noisy as its over the restaurant. Don't forget if you are on a budget you can cook for yourself in the communal kitchen!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Doug B
Reviewed May 31, 2013

I stayed here for the last 10 days of my trip. The place was exactly what I was after. The staff was amazing. Very helpful and friendly. The property is well laid out with fantastic amenities. All and all, Funky Monkey is a very well run resort/hotel and I would recommend a LONG stay if you can.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Bryan M
Reviewed May 10, 2013

After a few trips to Santa Teresa, staying at different places each time, I always want to be back at the Funky Monkey.

It's great for a few different reasons:

1) It's a little bit off the main road, which can get really dusty, but it's only a 30 second walk down to a bustling corner with a great little coffee / batido (smoothie) spot (Zwart art cafe), surf shops, market, etc. Quick walk to the beach. Good breaks are all around...

2) The bungalow rooms are really nice. They've got private patios with hammocks. Clean and comfortable.

3) The food is amazing. I've eaten all over ST and the best meals I've had have been at the Funky Monkey. Very diverse, inexpensive and delicious. Don't miss sushi night!

4) It's got a friendly, fun, casual vibe. Really nice common spaces. Everyone is really fun, friendly and welcoming.

Go! It's great.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank travisjones001
Reviewed April 12, 2013 via mobile

Good things first: the pool is really great - you can actually swim and it is very clean - this actually applies to the place in general. The location is also good - a little off the main road upon a hill.

Apart from that I can't share the general enthusiasm about the place. I slept in one of the dorms in a top bunk bed. It didn't have a railing and it was really difficult to climb in. Every slightest move while in there is answered by horrendous squeaking of the bed (not great for the other people in the dorm).

I only had breakfast there once - and do not recommend it. The portion was supersmall and quite expensive in relation to that. Walk down to the road and have breakfast in Zwart or Olam - maybe a slightly more expensive but definitely worth it!

With respect to staff, my experience wasn't amazing eigher. Apart from Gabi who is really nice and helpful the rest was rather unfriendly. Upon arrival I was only shown to the room but no other facilities (like pool or kitchen) were pointed out. When I asked if I could at least deposit my passport and credit card in a safe at reception (not trusting the locker outside the room entirely) my request was declined (even though I am pretty sure that I had asked about this possibility in my booking email and it was confirmed).

To summarize: I am not sure if I would recommend the place or stay there again next time. Maybe other hostels in town are better value.

• Stayed: April 2013
funkmunk, Manager at Funky Monkey Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2013

Thank you for your review.
I am really sorry the budget room didn´t fill your expectations, however it was clearly said in our previous emails that the budget room has a bunk bed. It is a regular bunk bed with ladder and yes, it may move a little if climbing up..Until now we didn´t have any complains. The rooms gets cleaned and the beds are made every day as any other private room.
As for Breakfast, we offer to our clients a 5$ simple BF, all plates come with fruits and free coffee to make sure we can fit in their budget. We are happy to add any extras if asked or you can also choose more pricy breakfast. As far I know Olam or Zwart charges for a breakfast from $8 and the coffee is extra charge.
I am sorry for the staff, we usually work with travelers that stay for extended time and we usually select the most friendly once.It is their task to show to a guest all amenities by check in. We will definitively improve that and point it out again! As much as we try to make them follow al the tasks perfectly, sometimes it´s not easy.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

This is the second time I have visited Santa Teresa and the first time staying at the Funky Monkey. I loved the place, very nice and comfortable accomodations. It was relaxing and quiet. Loved the food, the chief Juan is such an artist! The whole staff was just delightful and very helpful with figuring out the tours. Gabby and her husband are so nice. Thank you for this wonderful experience! Pura Vida!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends