“Not a 5 Star Resort but Great Service”
Review of Funky Monkey Lodge

Funky Monkey Lodge
Ranked #14 of 27 Hotels in Santa Teresa
Reviewed August 5, 2012

If you're expecting a 5 start resort, this won't be the place to go. But, it is a nice lodge, clean, great location, and reasonably priced. The reason I'm giving them a 5/5 is because the service there was amazing! The staff and owner were so nice and helpful, always going above and beyond. They really make you feel comfortable and welcome. I would recommend this place to anyone looking for a nice, relaxing trip to Costa Rica.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed July 16, 2012

Best week of my life at funky monkey and Nacho the Chef is lo mejor!

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed April 27, 2012

Aaaannnnd now I see why I hear of so many people who visited and just decide to stay forever. I want to be them someday! I was here for 2 weeks, wanted a more authentic experience and to remove myself from over-touristy areas like Tamarindo. Santa Teresa itself is a sleepy town that values its quality of life and doesn't attempt to be something it’s not. FM had a fantastic website with amazing photos, so they made it very easy for potential guests to see the ENTIRE grounds and know what to expect. I found some other lodges were skimpy on this end, leaving me to question what places were like upon arrival. Gabi was also extremely prompt in replying to my (many) questions about booking/availability/flights, etc.

I was greeted right away by Marcos, one of the hotel staff and he showed me around and helped me with my embarassingly huge suitcase. I misunderstood the way bungalows/dorms were booked, and since I was travelling solo, the only room available was the suite. I decided to splurge and it was GORGEOUS. Huge room with two ceiling fans, a pull out sofa bed, a desk/chair, 2 large closets with a lock safe inside, outdoor shower and *drum roll please*...PRIVATE (private!) covered balcony with chairs and hammock, complete with candles for some dim mood lighting! This would have been an amazing room for a couple/honeymooners, and I felt a little weird being in it by myself but invited friends to have drinks on the balcony a few times to share the love.

Staff is all fantastic: its run by Gabi and Emilio, and their little boy who is the cutest and became my little buddy. Tina, Mary, Gustino help run the grounds/kitchen (in addition to putting up with my attempts at Spanish) and Juan is the best cook ever. I have a small stomach, and cursed myself every night because I could never finish his glorious meals. Freshest seafood imaginable, and they usually offer 4-5 options (including beef/pork/chicken) on the regular non-specialty nights. Other nights we had grilled pizzas, amazing sushi and homemade pasta – all unreal. Breakfast was hearty with eggs, french toast, amazing banana pancakes and delicious fruit. Tina's coffee was also phenomenal!

I went during the dry season, so I was fully aware that water was scarce and guests were to use it sparingly. That being said, you never felt like you were roughing it, always had plenty of water to shower with, and use in the bathroom - this is life down there, and for me it was not hard to "get on board". Speaking of, I went down mainly to surf, and immediately was able to set up lessons with Marcos, but Fran and Jose (also in the staff) taught as well. So there was no seeking out instruction if you wanted a lesson - everything was literally at your fingertips! They also helped us set up Canopy Tours and ATV rentals and can help with the many other activities you can do.

There were a few places in/around the area, but some were a bit of a walk away. Coco Loco and Kika were 2 of our major haunts, CL was more bustling and Kika had a mellower live music vibe. I also had drinks one night at a gorgeous beach bar called Rocamar. Nothing like digging your toes into the sand and enjoying a mojito at sunset. Speaking of Mojitos, if you stay at FM you will be lucky enough to have a great bar in addition to the restaurant right at your drunky drunk fingertips. Bruno, the bar master, was a major staple around the property and kept everyone entertained and fully liquored up if they wanted. And who doesn't want one of Bruno's mojitos or special secret cocktail? I want one right now and it’s not even NOON. Plus he's got friends, and they came around quite a bit so there was always a fun party vibe that wasn't too crazy. There’s also a pool AND ping pong table to help keep you busy on lazy afternoons. And if you're bored at all, you can play with Gabi and Emilio's 2 dogs, Pepe and Baine, both BIG, chocolate colored, canine balls of love.

The pool is lovely and a nice escape from the beach (a few minutes from the hotel by foot), plus is surrounded by lush plants/flowers and a few friendly iguanas. Next to the pool is an amazing outdoor studio where Gabi teaches AM yoga and silk classes. The entire hotel is set a little back from the road; so there is no street traffic/ATV noise, only the calls of roosters, monkeys and iguanas. They can get a little loud in the morning, but you don’t want to sleep late anyways because there’s a lot to do. When you’re extremely sad to leave a place that has a family vibe like The Funky Monkey, you know you picked an excellent place to rest your head. I’m very grateful for my entire time spent among awesome people, and really hope to return someday soon. Experience this place. Experience it NOW.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank callmeblair
Reviewed April 23, 2012

I wanted to stay for two weeks but finally ended up spending four weeks at Funky Monkey. I enjoyed it so much, I wish I could have stayed even longer. Funky Monkey is located in Mango Street on a hill in the djungle, above the main road, which is important because there is no noise or dust compared to the other hostels down at the main road. The loudest noise you will hear is from roosters, dogs and monkeys. The rooms and bungalows are clean and charming. The pool is great when it is too hot down at the beach, which is just 5 minutes away. The food of Juan is awesome (I love the Tuna and Sushi - but I didn't eat anything which I didn't like at Funky Monkey) and the drinks of Bruno were absolutely amazing. The staff did a great job (Thanks to José, Fran, Marcos, Marina, Augustina, Andres, Maria, Tini, Justino), and I wish to thank Gabi and Emilio for creating this hideaway. I met a lot of wonderful people in this place and I really hope coming back soon. If you want to go surfing, or just have a relaxed holiday, I highly recommend going there. (Bring a mosquito net, it might be helpful, when it rains.)

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Markus B
Reviewed April 23, 2012

I stayed in the ocean view apartment - so my review might not be relevant to all travellers.

I was really looking forward to this place during our winter break, seeing all the other positive reviews, but was a bit disappointed. Mainly it was simply bad value for money - I paid $120 for an ocean view apartment - which isn't a lot of money, but it gets you a lot more in Costa Rica on average. We went on to stay at another place in Santa Theresa which was a good move.

The facilities are decent and kind of clean, but the welcoming, service and general atmosphere were slightly forced and inpersonal. I got the feeling that the place had been good at a certain point (perhaps living off good old days, their location, and past reviews), but felt a bit run-down now both in terms of facilities and service.

I saw someone wrote that the breakfast was good, I'd disagree... I had their fruit and banana pancake, very average and minimal effort. The breakfast places (especially the Italian Ginger café) down on Main Rd are hundred times better.

On the good side - this place is very central in Santa Theresa (which most places are though) and it does have a good view of the bay. I'm sure lot's of people enjoy this place, and perhaps the bungalows are nice, but I wouldn't recommend any friend of mine to stay here.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 18, 2012

We stayed at the Funky Monkey Lodge while on a surfing retreat with Chica Surf Adventures. I knew that this was going to be a different vacation than I was used to, and not to expect a 5 star resort! I was pleasantly surprised and excited about the Funky Monkey! Our room was a villa with a double bed and a bunk bed, with a counter with sink, and a fridge, and the bathroom was an outdoor bathroom, just off the bedroom area. It is pretty open, with no screening, other than near the roof, and it felt like sleeping in a tent with all the dogs, roosters and monkeys entertaining us nightly!! (getting up to use the bathroom during the night was a little frightening as I half expected a monkey to be sitting on the wall!)
The food was amazing during our stay. Juan was a very talented cook, who made it my mission to make him smile!! Apparently a little nickname helped to smile! The food was always delicious and fresh and plenty!! Bruno was always friendly and made great cocktails, or filled our wine glasses up! As stated in previous reviews, the kitchen is wide open and you can sit at the bar and watch your meal being prepared! Oh and the sushi was soooo good too!
The hotel becomes quite quiet at night. The bar shuts down at 10pm, but we were never around much to witness this! The pool is very refreshing and provides a nice dip after a day in the town or surfing!
The owners, Gabi and Emilio were very polite and friendly, and their dogs Pepa and Pena (not sure of spelling!) were awesome. I have a big heart for chocolate labs and they will love you back! They visited our porch often for some loving!
We were there during dry season, so we showered quickly with turning the water on and off, and the plumbing is very different in this area, so you are not able to flush TP down the toilet, but you get used to it!! Looking up in the sky at all the stars as you showering was so amazing, makes me want to build an outdoor shower!!

All in all, it was an amazing week and I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone!! I will come back again!!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank CanadianChick
Reviewed April 12, 2012

I stayed at the Funky Monkey Lodge from March 31st to April 6th and had a great time. I had heard about the lodge through some friends and set up my reservations right away. They we're quick to respond to all emails, and set up transportation for me to and from San Jose. Once I got to the lodge the staff were there to bring my bag(extremely over packed) up to the shared dorm room, I asked if there happened to be a private room available, and they instantly found one and set me up in the apartment with a/c, and again carried my bag to my room. They explained the rules of the hotel, the safe and water system,which was helpful, since i'd never been someplace during a dry season.It was also a busy week in Santa Teresa with tourists due to the Costa Rican holiday week. The water was never an issue, nor was the use of the a/c, I only used it 2 out of the 6 nights I was there. The double sliding screened doors allowed for fresh air and a breeze to come through. Although I was traveling solo, the staff made me feel very welcome as did the other guests,especially when it came to helping me plan excursions, surfing or a good bar to go to.The food at the lodge is amazing and fresh, the best part is watching Juan cook. The kitchen is open for all to see. The drinks were also great, Bruno makes a smooth mojito as well as pineapple and rum, with fresh pineapple blended. Both Gabi and Emilio were warm and friendly and conversated with the guests,as well as their son and two dogs. Great time, great people..

Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo