“Open Your third Eye-Pura Vida” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Funky Monkey Lodge

Funky Monkey Lodge
Ranked #16 of 27 Hotels in Santa Teresa
boulder, co
“Open Your third Eye-Pura Vida”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2011

Recently my girlfriends and I took a much needed vacation to Santa Teresa, Costa Rica. I cannot say enough fabulous things about the Funky Monkey and their staff. Upon arrival, we were greeted and shown our quaint bungalow. Very well priced, clean, spacious, open and adorable bungalow. Time seemed to stop; so relaxing. Emilio, Gabi, Noel, and the rest of the staff are able and willing to help you with whatever you need. We left Costa Rica feeling like we were leaving friends, and planning our return. One of the best places I have ever been to.
Boulder, Colorado

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
damascus maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2011

This was the worst experience I have ever had with a place to stay - I do not say hotel or lodge, because it is a YOUTH HOSTEL and a very overpriced one. I felt like I was cheated and overcharged - again there was no room available for 2 people, only 6 people and we paid $135.00 - (actually 145.00 because we could not pay cash and had to charge it - and he acted like he was doing US a BIG FAVOR by allowing him to charge the room. ) We should have just walked away and stayed at one of the much nicer hotels in Santa Theresa (which we did the following night) Magically, the following day a room became available for 2 people but at that point I would rather walk through fire than give these slime balls another dime. There are plenty of nice places to stay in the area for a fraction of the price. The following night we stayed at another hotel (closer to town - this one is NOT in the heart of the town BTW) and with a small kitchenette AND air conditioning (the flunky monkey does NOT HAVE AC as they advertise - again, it is a YOUTH HOSTEL). If the Flunky monkey was my only experience in Costa Rica, I would never return and tell all my friends how awful the people are. In reality it was only this place, so I just tell them that.

• Stayed March 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank bcat123
funkmunk, Owner at Funky Monkey Lodge, responded to this review, April 4, 2011
We are really sorry that those ladies didn't like our place, they were probably looking for a 5star hotel and couldn't accept that there are also people on budget. I am also not very sure that someone that stays only 1 night can judge somebody or something, as there was not much time to get to know the place.
We do not obligate anybody to stay in our lodge and if the hotel is busy (as it was at the moment) we just offer what we have available.. The last availability we had, at the moment of the ladies phone call reservation.. was our 6 person apartment with ocean view and AC - yes, the most expensive room (there was obviously AC inside the room, why would we offer something that doesn't exist....) . We offered the regular price of this room and she agreed..
If we knew that was not what they were expecting we would be happy to recommend an other place..
If a private room for 2 people gets available (of course cheaper then an apartment for 6 with AC and ocean view..) we are happy to offer it to our clients, so there in no Magic..??
Our lodge is not a place for people that are looking for luxury vacation and exaggerated service... (however we have reception available for our clients all day long, daily room cleaning, and even offer carry luggage to the room..) Our lodge is for people that just want to relax, learn surf, meet people and have fun during they stay.. We do have private rooms for couples and families, but we also have larger rooms for groups of friends etc.. Our prices are more than reasonable, comparing other places with the same amenities.
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2011

I arrived this well hidden funky lodge full of surprises. 3 nights stay was just not enough.
It has the coolest and rough feel in front with the suites are chic, make sure you use the net. The dorm beds wow even made me jealous, so clean with a wider single beds. I swapped my detached chalet for a bed in a dorm to share with
my friends Kate and Maia I met there. And upper level there was this L shape stylish swimming pool designed for the swimmers ! And it has a sign for quietness! I went for a dip in the morning before the perfect breakfast. Yes even in 5 start hotel you cant have such quality chef. You will never overeat, only good food carefully prepared in the right portion. The owner will make great cocktails, I had all the time ! And don't go anywhere else for dinners, this is another treat!!

In the evenings, I felt at ease to sit by the bar. People were so friendly to talk to. And in no time, I felt as in a family. During the day, surfing lessons down the road to beach was really good. Do book it by 9.30 for 11am low tides (beginners). Easily gets one to one coaching. I wish I did that for a few days. A massage house by the beach, again book it in advance, only $40 per hour. And don't miss sunset on the beach around 5pm, high tide with all the advanced surfers.

I would love to come back Costa Rica just to stay here for a week or 10 days.
I can refresh my mind, plenty exercises, make friends, to be fed with great quality food and drinks and surrounded with nature.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
Colorado Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2011

What a great place! We stayed in Manuel Antonio, Jaco, and Alejuela, but Santa Teresa was our favorite due in no small part to the accommodations and staff (Thanks Nahuel!) at the Funky Monkey. There's a clan of howler monkeys that frequent the grounds and we had a songbird that would fly inside our cabana each morning and serenade us. Pure magic, pura vida!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Arlington, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2011

Gabi the owner and Nahuel her manager work at providing nothing less than superior customer service and quality at an affordable price. The room was clean and comfortable and the food was wonderful. Gabi and her staff went out of their way to ensure that the needs of my daughter and I were met; everything from food, arranging a last minute fishing trip to ensuring the poo/area was always kept clean. Views phenomenal with a central location.

• Stayed March 2011
nyc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2011

I made amazing friends here and have never had a better experience anywhere I've stayed in my 15 years of traveling. Every imperfection (crap internet, noise, inconsistent room policies) is made up for by the location, the awesome atmosphere & most of all, the people.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2011

I spent a week or more here and had a great stay! I was travelling solo and had moved out of a larger hostel as it felt a little impersonal. I arrived at the Funky Monkey and instantly felt at home. The staff was incredibly helpful and friendly, and I met some great folks who were also staying in the hostel rooms. It was a very chill environment; generally we were all in bed early and up early to either get out surfing or head to yoga class. When I head back next year this is where I will stay!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo