“Terrible!!! Don't stay there!!!”

Tranquilo Backpackers
Reviewed February 3, 2011

It's terrible. Don't stay there. My Girlfriend and i booked a private room for 3 nights and they are so unorganized that they overbooked us. so when we got there, we didn't have our room. they told us to book two single beds in the dorms for the night ( even if we were gonna share one) and promised us that on the next morning we would have our private room. We slept in the dorms which sleep another 5 people and the people never lock the doors making you worried about your stuffs when you out, in the next morning we went to reception and they said that they didn't have the room for us and all they could do was offer us another night in a single bed in the dorms again but at least for free. But we checked out anyway as we didnt like the atmosphere which was pretty loud with the peple drinking and screaming until 11:30 when everybody go out and some come back late in the night even louder! The windows got no glass its only fence with big gaps that fits anyone's whole arm and the mosquitos just don't let you sleep, the fan in the room is really small and their hammocks outside are really smelly and sticky!! There are a lot better places in the area to stay.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 25, 2011

Tranquilo felt like a big happy party. A party that ended at 11:00 pm and moved down the street to the dance club or various restaurants hosting live music. I loved the balance between fun and sleep - very important!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 23, 2011

Stayed at Tranquilo for 5 nights. I am a solo female traveler and it was a great place to meet new people and feel safe. Hostel has great big clean kitchen. Also the rooms are being cleaned every day. Very close to everything, and the beach too!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed August 4, 2010

I was going to stay in this hostel, and checked in in the morning. Then I went renting a surfboard, and surfing the great waves of Santa Teresa. After an hour or 2, I returned to the hostel, to find out that the cleaning lady had cleaned the room I was staying in (she removed the sheets I had put on the beds) and my stuff was no longer there. I went to the reception, where they had 'found' a bag with my thoothbrush, one of my pants (the dirty one I had on before going surfing) and my daycream. The rest of my luggage had disappeared, while I had locked the room. No one else was staying with me in the room, and as the room was 'cleaned', I actually had a proof that at least the cleaning lady had been in the room, of course she told me that there was nothing in the room when she entered it to clean. I was in panic, and confronted the owner with his story and the owner told me never anything like this had happened in the hostel, nothing was ever stolen from the hostel, and that probably I did not have any other luggage with me. I was completely lost and flebberguested with this service, I just had my bikini which I brought on. I went straight to the police to file a claim, and luckily found another place to stay with helpful travelers. It was an extremely bad experience, the owner was really rude, and I had an awful time needing to buy all my luggage again, which is something very costly, and which you do not want to experience when on holiday. I am writing this review since I can imagine that this might happen more often in this hostel, and maybe you get other complaints.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank Joline1984
Reviewed April 7, 2010

Surfers spot, good Hostel with hammocks all over the place. The mattresses are a little bit dirty in the dorms, but besides that everything fine, the name says what you get

Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 3, 2008

Tranquilo backpackers was terrible. It was dirty, noisy and had a weird vibe. We stayed in a double room which was clean but the shower curtain was mouldy and there was an old bandaid in the shower. The toilet was horrible.

There is no glass in the windows so there's no escape from the noise. It got quiet around midnight until people started coming back from partying and sat around talking loudly.

The website says there's internet access but there isn't.

At the moment there's construction work going on right at the entrance so during the day you have to deal with all of that noise as well.

After one night we moved to the Beach Breakers hotel which is more expensive but much nicer.

On the plus side the staff are nice and it's really busy so it would be good if you wanted to meet people I guess. Good for young people looking to party the whole time who don't mind living in a hole.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed April 19, 2008

Thank You Travel Blanket for the great review, that basically decided it for us!

Okay, here goes. Tranquilo Backpackers has to be the best place to stay in Mal Pais. If you're looking for something super laidback and relaxed this is the place to go. Lots of the people here are surfers who wake up early in the morning so sleep time is around 11 at the latest each night.

They have a ping pong table and hammocks everywhere which I loved. Be aware though that if you aren't looking for a somewhat sorority feel with a lot of people this may not be the place for you.

It suited my boyfriend and I well though as we just needed a place to sleep and hang out when we weren't on the beach!

So definitely recommend this place and would stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)