“First-rate, personable, professional - con mucho Pura Vida!!!”

Blue Surf Adventures
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Blue Surf Adventures is extremely proud to be the only Billabong sponsored, upscale surf school and surf camp in Costa Rica's Nicoya Peninsula! Our Billabong Surf Camps are a perfect combination of vacation and surf experience. At our Santa Teresa Surf School, we can advance your surfing skills no matter your current level. We welcome beginners, and canhelp intermediate surfers hone their skills. Our instructors can also act as local guides for the more experienced surfer. Camps are not for everyone, do you want to bring your own group, or do you just want a more flexible experience? Our Costa Rica Surf Trip packages can be customized for your specific needs. We can base your package on your experience level and surfing goals as we build your perfect Santa Teresa surf trip. The nature and beauty of Costa Rica make for an awesome surf trip and Santa Teresa is a great spot to learn to surf or to just experience the Pura Vida! Contact us and we will customize an experience just for you.
Reviewed January 6, 2013

My family surfs seasonally in the cold waters of NH. However, we travel annually, at least once, to a warm, sunny, surf destination. For the school break of Thanksgiving 2012, my husband and I took our 14 year old daughter and her 14 year old friend to Santa Teresa for 10 day multi-excursion vacation. My husband typically travels with his own surfboard, but instead of driving through the jungle for hours (as on past trips to CR), we opted for a puddle jumper from SJ to Tambor resulting in dad not being able to bring his own board. We stayed within a stones throw from Blue Surf Adventures. I don't want to say we were on the same "street", which we were, as it was more like a short gravel driveway to the beach. While out getting a feel for the neighborhood (we felt VERY safe) and the beach (gorgeous) the four of us were taking sunset photos and a couple walking the beach offered to take our group pic for us. Come to find out, a day or two later, they were the owners of Blue Surf Adventures. My husband walked over to ask about our girls taking surfing lessons and to inquire about another rental board for himself. There are rentals in town, but it's tough to find a real board for an experienced surfer. Our daughter is an intermediate/confident/brave surfer. She can pop up and easily ride a small wave while fixing her hair, adjusting her bikini, etc. Her friend, who also seasons on the NH waters, is more of a beginner surfer, but not afraid to get in the water and take a thrashing (lol, sorry love). We required/requested separate lessons for them because of their differing skill levels. The girls (both 14) were very concerned about not being in the water together at the same time. However, we insisted to them that they have separate lessons. They would completely distract each other. Kelly and Aaron came through. Not only were their lessons at the same time, but they each had their own instructors. Their instructors were great (handsome young men too). After a dry/on beach with surfboard instruction, into the water they went. Mother nature can be tricky. There is no forecast for what you will get for waves during a lesson. From my own lesson experience in Hawaii, a good instructor can get you to ride just about anything which is exactly what these guys did. On a more personal note, the owners, Kelly and Aaron, were in the water with them photographing the lesson. My husband was out surfing himself and I stood with the owners and immensely enjoyed watching the girls surf while at the same time picking their brains about their choices and experiences of living and doing business in Costa Rica. Blue Surf also offers rooms/suites for couples and families and, like our place, they had a pool and other amenities. I personally did not enter their property, but my husband did and said it was very nice. If you are in Santa Teresa, don't pass these guys by. Keep an eye on their website(s). I learned from chatting with them in the water that new offerings will be arising in the future. I highly recommend their services and acquaintance.

1  Thank Jac T

Reviewed December 27, 2012

In November 2012, my boyfriend and I visited Santa Teresa and stayed at a hotel within walking distance of Blue Surf Adventures. We felt so lucky to have come across this place. The owners and our surf instructor were warm, hospitable, and very helpful. Blue Surf is just a few steps away from a gorgeous surfing beach, as well as a couple of great restaurants, so we really couldn't have asked for anything better. Highly recommended! We will definitely be going back.