“Perfect for surfers who are not on a tight budget...”
Review of Milarepa

We can't find prices for this hotel
Milarepa
Ranked #24 of 26 Hotels in Santa Teresa
Los Angeles, California
“Perfect for surfers who are not on a tight budget...”
Reviewed August 16, 2006

Just returned from a five day stay at Milarepa. The owner, Philippe, is French. The Milarepa offers four rustic, open-air cabins priced at $ 150 per night (low season). Insect repellent is a must-have. The best feature of this hotel is the restaurant which is above average. Dinner for two was about $70.

With exception of the cleaning crew, the hotel staff is comprised of American kids with little or no hotel experience. Your satisfaction is not their priority so If you are looking for service stay somewhere else.

Santa Teresa/Malpais is not a typical Costa Rica destination. As more foreigners invest in the area, Ticos are priced out of the market and move out. However, the perfect tropical beaches, the consistent breaks and great-looking girls make it a paradise for the many young surfers that have set up residence here.

Recommended for:
-honeymooners
-experienced surfers

Not recommended for:
-first time visitors to Costa Rica
-families with children
-middle-aged couples
-senior citizens

• Liked — beach location
  • Disliked — poor service, some sewage problems, some ants in the room
  • Tips/Secrets — learn before you go
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
4 Thank crazy4nature

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
NYC
Reviewed June 4, 2006

Everywhere we stay is now measured next to Milarepa. The chic bungalows feel almost like a luxury camp with nature all around, the beach is magical and the fresh, simple food is truly spectacular. We also made the mistake of going to Flor whatever it's called next door and got a rude reminder of just how good Milarepa's food is. I'm an australian living in NYC so I know beautiful beaches and good food. Caroline has hit on the perfect combination. The open bungalows and showers will not suit people who want to be pampered in an air conditioned cocoon, but if you get it.. this is THE definition of tropical beach paradise.

• Stayed August 2005
3 Thank pruebear
Reviewed May 22, 2006

My family and I just returned from our second stay at Milarepa and found things better than ever. Milarepa has a Zen like quality that we wish we could just pack in our bags and bring back home. The open aired cabins offer just enough nature to remind you you´re in Costa Rica, while the mosquito nets fend off most crawling or flying pests that have been known to scare off us "gringos" in the jungle While we shall always carry fond memories of Caroline´s Provencal-Style French menu, especially her salad Nicoise, the new chef has nailed modern fusion cuisine. Blending local flavors with Asian-Latin classics. Restaurant Soma kept everyone from my 6 year old daughter to my gourmand husband happy. After one very unpleasant (and overpriced) excursion to the restaurant at Flor Blanca we never strayed again. By day my son and Husband enjoyed the excellent surf just down the beach, while my daughter and I explored the tide pools just in front of the hotel (low tide only) and played in the pool along side the owners children. The staff are not the type to sit waiting hand and foot but always happy to mix up a fresh fruit smoothie (or a damn good mojito).
I´m shocked to read that there are those that did not walk away with the same unforgetable experience that we´ve had, but I guess that just leaves more availabilty for those of us who´ll be returning again (and again).
Pura Vida!

• Stayed April 2006
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 22, 2006

After reading the other travel advisories, I am positive that they have mistaken the Milarepa my wife and I visited with some devious imposter. Or maybe I´m just less high maintenence?
No televisions, no phones, no room service, no martini bar, no internet. To those of you that find these facts alarming, Milarepa is not the place for you. Though, nothing in life is without flaws, I found our vacation to be be everything I`d imagined and more. I did not encounter any afformentioned foul smells (unless you find the sea offensive) or any over abundance of insects (considering we were in the jungle). What I did find was beautiful white sand beaches, simple yet stylishly done cabinas, a very helpful but not overbearing staff, fresh and creative cuisine, relaxing massage and yoga, and exactly the peaceful and relaxing Costa Rican experience we were looking for. We´ll be back for sure.

Stayed February 2006
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 3, 2006

While Milarepa provides stunning views of the sunset from its vistas along the Malpais beach, the area around the somewhat decrepit pool and the restaurant is evidently in the midst of sewage seapage. The smell is so overpowering that it is difficult to have a drink when the breeze is blowing just right. The hotel's owners should address this problem immediately or shut its doors down.

Stayed April 2006
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 21, 2006

My husband and I have stayed here 2 times. The first time we stayed we had a good time. The bungalows are very simple, decorated mainly with bamboo and with an indonesian vibe going on. There's no telephone, tv, radio or internet access...so bring your own entertainment..this place is really just one big hang out. We got bored here after 2/3 days...hang out at the beach mainly, because it's lovely.

The food at the hotel was AMAZING- just never stopped eating the whole time! Really delicious.

The second time we went was a little different, not as much fun. We weren't too keen on the hostess...she followed us around too much. We really weren't into hanging out and we felt a bit like we were being watched...Anyway, we cut our stay short that time and haven't been back since.

It's kind of a weird place Santa Teresa because there are a lot of Americans and Europeans living there so after a while it feels less like a holiday and more like you're in one big hippy commune or something. We LOVE Costa Rica, but we like finding real Tico places and Milarepa is a bit Euro something or other and it kinda freaks us out after a while lol.

Great for one night...great for eating...hang at the beach for a day...then move on and explore further!

• Stayed October 2003
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Annapolis, MD
Reviewed March 21, 2006

Imagine laying in the canopied bed with your honey and gazing through the tall trees (sometimes adorned with howler monkeys) at the most exquisite stretch of beach. The huge windows are all open and give you the feeling that there are no walls at all, the roof suspended by jungle vines. This is my lasting memory of Milarepa.

I mostly disagree with the negative posts...there was no construction, just the sounds of the surf and the wildlife (especially the howler monkeys and the birds in the morning at around 5:30-just in time for sunrise). The grounds did not smell like sewage (although due to the scarcity of water during the dry season, an open toilet in the otherwise-cool bathroom can stink a bit). The staff were friendly and accomodating. There were no ant problems and not one mosquito.
The only problem we had , and it was the last night, was that my wife's Teva sandals were stolen from outside our door overnight. The night watchman said it may have been a monkey that did it, but we are pretty skeptical of that. So be aware. And I do agree that the mattresses should be of better quality , but this is certainly no fleabag motel-it is very tastefully decorated and perfectly fitting of the area...

The tidal pools are incredible to hang out in during low tide. You can hardly believe it later on when the water covers the huge rock formations that they were ever there in the first place.

Santa Teresa is gorgeous-have a great time...

• Stayed March 2006