“The Best in Costa Rica” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 27 Hotels in Santa Teresa
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
“The Best in Costa Rica”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2008

We stayed at Flor Blanca for 5 nights in December, following a stay in Monteverde. Although this was our first trip to Costa Rica, I can't imagine that there are many places better than FB.

We stayed in villa #1 (closest to the beach), which had a large open-air living room (including a hammock facing the beach). The bedroom is air-conditioned and had one of the most comfortable beds we've ever been in. The bathroom is also open-air, which took some getting used to but that's what you get in Costa Rica.

The pool, spa, yoga, and other activities are first-class and were never crowded. The beach directly in front of FB is very rocky, but a great beach is within a 5 minute walk.

The food at FB was pricey, but top-notch. Lots of fresh seafood and the best sushi we've ever had. The bartenders are friendly and make some creative cocktails.

A great boutique resort, we'll definitely return.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Palm Beach Fl
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2008

I heard about Florblanca from a friend. I have been to Costa a couple times awhile ago but wanted to make my Honeymmoon a special trip as she had never been.

Florblanca was great the rooms the view the quite setting. Personal service and atention given to us was great. Turn down service at night and great warm spacious villa set in the manicured ladscape.

I surfed in the morning at the near by breaks as she went to Yoga or walked down beach. they even had some decent boards you could use mostly long boards.

We rented quads from town as they were half the price. We went into town to get some provisions at the local market and drove our quads to Montazuma to see the waterfall.

We ate dinner most of the nights at the resort. The price is steep but we agreed the setting and quality of food was worth it. We aslo at lunch get the fish Tacos. Service was second to none. we stayed for 6 nights and did not want to leave.

The staff was great and very helpfull. They won't mind helping you find local local reasturants and other places to go.

I read some did not think the resort was worth the price. It is not cheap and we would love return for even a longer trip. But we may have to find a place a little less expensive, maybe. I also read that some people had bug problems. we did not except for the couple that fly around or get into the bedroom if the door is left open. This is a resort located among the semi jungle setting and bugs do live there. if you don't want the occasional bug people should may stay in San Jose.

Overall we had a great time and I wated my other half to have a great time and she did. My main goal was to have her want to return to Costa Rica. And that is not going to be a problem.

• Liked — The staff, setting, cabinas, food, the relaxing no stress factor
  • Disliked — not much, If you want to stay at the nicest place in town this is it
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
Charleston SC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2008

We just returned from one of the most heavenly experiences at Florblanca. Upon entering the front of the hotel there are beautiful pipes that trickle water into a reservoir that overflows down through the new spa. The sound of the water trickling and the monkeys jumping from tree to tree was a fantastic way to start the trip!

We were taken on a tour of the property and were overwhelmed by its beauty. After that my husband immediately went surfing and I did yoga with Stefano (he's amazing!) and followed up with a pilates class the next day. That afternoon we took the ATV's down to meet the local fishing guide named Amillio and hopped in an old small boat named the "Esmerelda." Our close friend caught a tuna that we brought back to the resort and gave to the kitchen. They prepared sushi from the same fish we caught that day! It was SO delicious.

My friend and I had spa treatments and both had messages. She said her message was so good she claimed it was the "answer to world peace." I laughed. We went body boarding, did yoga and pilates, spa treatments, horseback riding, fishing.. the works! But that is what is great about Florblanca, you can either sit on the beach all day and relax, watch the beautiful sunsets with a mojito every night OR you can partake in a lot of healthy activities that make you feel great when you leave.

As far as the food, for lunch I had the fish tacos almost every day and was never let down. We ate at Riserva one night and I had the seafood fettucine which was delicious. But what topped that was the seafood risotto I had the next night. It's amazing how they can get such a wonderful assortment of meats, cheeses, and wine flown in from all over the world in such a small town.

Overall the staff is beyond great. They know your name and always go out of their way to help you with anything you need. And the best part is they are always happy to do it, they don't begrudge. This being my 3rd time there, I am always so sad to leave because the resort is so small and you get to meet the other people staying in the resort and with the combination of the staff being so friendly it feels like a home away from home.

My only warning is to people who don't enjoy bugs. There are lots of bugs and lizards as it is a tropical rainforest. The villas are open air (the covered outdoor shower is amazing) but the bedrooms are AC so not many bugs in there but if you can't handle them then this may not be the place for you. We will hopefully return soon.

• Liked — I enjoyed the pilates and yoga classes.
  • Disliked — the bugs.
  • Stayed November 2008
1 Thank H0lyM0ley
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2008

I had originally booked Latitude 10 (now called Florblanca Reserva) before it was purchased by Florblanca. When we arrived at the airport in Tambor, we were met by a driver and also Marianne, who is in charge of reservations at Reserva. She offered us a villa at Florblanca as a complimentary upgrade. It turns out that since the rainy season was just ending, they had no other guests at Reserva; we would have been the only ones. So while I absolutely loved Jr. Suite A at Reserva (it was just as incredible in person), we accepted the offer to upgrade to Florblanca.

We abosolutely loved our villa and our stay there. I had seen the website when planning my trip, but it never really grabbed my attention. For one thing, the price is very high. (I booked so long ago that I paid the Latitude 10 price, which was much less.) But in person, the villas and property are just lovely, and the staff is incredibly friendly and gracious.

I would recommend a regular villa rather than an ocean view one. They moved us to an ocean view (Villa #1) for our last night, and it was a nice view, but really not so much different that I would have paid the extra $150 for it. You're sort of far from the beach, so the ocean view is sort of an ocean peak through the foliage.

I absolutely loved the town of Santa Teresa. There's not much to it...just a bumpy, unpaved road with a lot of dogs, ATV riders, surfers, small hotels, and a couple of markets and sodas. But to take a cruiser bike (provided by Florblanca) and just ride out on the road all the way to Mal Pais was just so much fun.

The resort offers a few activities, and I highly recommned the ATV tour to Montezuma. You ride ATVs to a canopy tour in Mal Pais, then stop at an animal sanctuary, then ride to Montezuma for lunch and souvenir shopping, then hike to a waterfall where you can jump off a cliff into a pool of water and swing on a rope. It's a full, active day and tons of fun. $150 per person. The tour was created by, and is led by a guy named Adrian, who was born and raised in Mal Pais. He's a terrific guy. He also was my surf lesson instructor the next day.

Meals at the resort were OK. Not bad, but not great. I think they need to step it up in that regard. There is a restaurant just up the road called Al Chile Viola that was delightful (decor as well as cuisine), and the restaurant at Milarepa next door to Florblanca is also very good.

I still love the bungalows at Florblanca Reserva, and I'd love to go back someday. What I didn't realize is that it's right next door to Florblanca. It's slightly less expensive, and you get access to all the ammenities at Florblanca. As far as the bugs that other reviewers have complained about, I think they're worse during the summer. Our trip was in November, and bugs really weren't a problem at all. Even on the Osa, which was our first stop.

All in all, I think Florblanca is a great resort, and I highly recommend it.

• Liked — spacious, beautiful villa
  • Disliked — the food is not great; not on par with the rest of the resort
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
hotelierhimself
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2008

Stayed here for 10 nights back in May on Honeymoon.
It was a great stay and we really enjoyed our time in this peacful hotel. It was ideal for getting away from everything and offers you the chance to really relax as it so quiet and isnt a busy place.
The food and bar are fantastic in particular breakfast which is really tasty.
The only slight dissapointment is that dinner is so expensive compared to the other meals. You can go to a couple of places nearby which are nearly as good and a 3rd of the price.
The best thing about this place though was the meal we had which was done personally by the chef on a private table away from the restaurant. This is the sort of extra touches they can do here by being so small.

Few quick tips.
Try and book taxis yourself as the hotel charges double.
Book day trips yourself as well as again you'll probably pay more than double.
If you dont like small planes and i mean small! Then drive to the hotel from San Jose.

• Liked — The room's are amazing
  • Disliked — Price of dinner and wine
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Hotelierhimself
New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2008

We stayed at Florblanca Reserva for 3 nights of our honeymoon. $650/night is a hefty sum but we figured we'd splurge for our honeymoon.

However, we could have spent that money better elsewhere.

The Reserva which advertises itself as eco-friendly and sustainable is extremely rustic. We had stray cats, giant wasps, lizards, big red crabs, spiders, bats, you name it in our bedroom. I barely slept for the 3 nights we were there! The mosquito net helped, but not enough at $650 per night! One night, I didn't brush my teeth because there were simply too many insects and other animals in our outdoor bathroom and I wasn't willing to brave it.

Service was friendly and well-meaning, but ultimately we were frustrated that the restaurant/bar closed at 9pm, that our cabana wasn't very clean, that nobody answered the phone or returned our many calls and e-mail when we tried to arrange transportation to the resort from the nearby ferry upon arrival, etc.

There were no shuttle services in to town, so if you aren't driving your own car, you will have to walk the 3km (or bike). The food was excellent at Florblanca Reserva (and Florblanca) if pricey - no meals are included so for 2 people, you'll add about $25 to your total bill each day at breakfast, another $70 - $100 at dinner, etc.).

I believe that for $200 per night, our experience at FlorBlanca would have been rustic yet acceptable and adventuresome...but at luxury rates, it was a frustrating experience.
I understand the non-Reserva part of Florblanca is less rustic, but still has many similar issues regarding animals and such as we learned from other guests.

As a comment on MalPais, if you are not into surfing, this place is probably not for you. There are no cute restaurants/beachfront bars to speak of in the "town" and the beach has more debris along it than I've ever seen anywhere!
If you are going to go to Mal Pais, maybe stay at Milarepa which seemed reasonable when we walked by...

• Liked — nice views at the beach, nice atmosphere in the restaurant/pool
  • Disliked — sleeping quarters, insects/animals, high price for low value
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
6 Thank esw2008
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2008

Florblanca is beautiful and very secluded - great spot for a couples trip or honeymoon. It is very pricey in comparison to other hotels in the area. During our honeymoon in April, the resort was undergoing major construction and renovation which was extremely disruptive to the quiet and relaxing trip that we were looking for. The staff were friendly but not overly helpful - after being there for 6 days, they still had to ask us which room we were staying in (there were only 4 villas occupied during our stay!). Poolside service was non-existent however dining at Nectar, their restaraunt was usually very enjoyable. People who choose to stay here really need to be okay with wildlife - we had everything from bats, to ants to lizards and anteaters inside of our villa. It is also important to note the terrible plumbing system in this part of Costa Rica. Even at Florblanca, you are not allowed to flush even toilet paper down the toilet - they provide a small garbage can that they promise to empty twice a day but only empty once. Overall, it is a beautiful place but we felt our $600/night would have been better spent somewhere else.

• Liked — Seclusion
  • Disliked — Poor customer service.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
Manala Hotel
Manala Hotel
#11 of 27 in Santa Teresa
5.0 of 5 stars 313 reviews

Been to Florblanca Resort? Share your experiences!