“Yummy Breakfast and Lunch” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Florblanca Resort

Florblanca Resort
Ranked #11 of 26 Hotels in Santa Teresa
Phoenix
“Yummy Breakfast and Lunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2014

The banana bread breakfast dish was fabulous! We also enjoyed the lunch menu. We were able to try a few dishes for breakfast and lunch during our visit to Santa Teresa. We did not stay at the resort but enjoyed the grounds and walkways.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank kerchant

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2014

My husband and I have been going to Florblanca for the last 8 years for our anniversary. Over the last 8 years we've missed 2 anniversaries here for various reasons. Our anniversary is just not the same anymore unless spent at Florblanca! Some of the staff at this resort have been there since the very first time we visited Florblanca, many of the other staff have still been there over a period of years that we've visited and they always remember us! In my opinion when you have a low turn over of employees that has to tell you what kind of place it is and how it's run! The staff have always gone over and above for us and have become our Costa Rican family! I recently read where some of the reviews talk about the staff/service not being up to par. This really saddens me because from the very first time there the staff and service have always been impeccable! People need to remember this is another country, you are on vacation and to relax and just go with the flow! The resort itself is amazing! The beaches are wonderful! During low tide the natural pools in the rocks are to die for! You can also walk south of Florblanca about 5 minutes and swim during low or even high tide or take an ATV(so much fun to do) a couple miles north to Hermosa beach and swim during both tides. It's fun to just relax on the beach and watch the surfers, or get a boogy board and jump in the waves yourself! We've taken our children there and a variety of friends over the years and they ALL love it! Honestly there's nothing to not love about Florblanca and the entire surrounding area. It may be a little rustic for some but to us that's the true beauty of this part of Costa Rica!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Debg44
Costa Mesa, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2014

Florblanca went above and beyond our expectations as they hosted a week of wedding festivities as well as our WEDDING! We could not be happier with the outcome of the trip as was our family and friends who traveled from all over the world to celebrate this special time with us.

We had our "Welcome" cocktail hour at Florblanca a few nights before the wedding and the Cody as well as her staff made sure everything was absolutely PEFECT! For starters they set up the event beautifully, complete with TIKI torches to really set the mood right. Cody even went so far as helping me find a local band to play during cocktail hour. She had great communication and we were able to set up the entire menu before hand and EVERYTHING Cody recommended was INCREDIBLE!

The week of our wedding Cody and the Florblanca staff made sure that all of our guests were well taken care of and made sure to accommodate all of our needs! Shannon even instructed my bridesmaids and me in a private yoga class, while the groomsmen were surfing in a "surf contest!"

WEDDING-My husband and I are just speechless over how perfectly everything went off, especially for planning in California and not traveling to Costa Rica until the week of the wedding! From the moment my husband and I picked Florblanca as our venue, Cody made everything so easy! She sent us a list of recommended wedding planners, photographers, and even met us in Newport Beach to discuss menu options! I can honestly say everyone she set us up with made our wedding so beyond beautiful and perfect.

FLORBLANCA- Cody set up the "getting ready" Villa to overlook the ceremony location, so as the day went on I was watching them set up for our wedding. My husband and I loved Florblanca so much that we stayed there for 3 days after the wedding before going on our honeymoon. The food is incredible and they offer a FANTASTIC complimentary breakfast at the Nektar restaurant each morning! Their pool and pool side service is also a must do! You can sit in the pool, sipping on a tasty cocktail and look right up and watch the monkeys in the trees, directly above you!!

We stayed at the Honeymoon house and it is a huge, beautifully decorated, and secluded villa! Each night while we were out, the staff would come in and light all the candles, and place flower petals on the extremely comfortable bed…not to mention they gave us a complimentary delicious bottle of champagne along with a fruit platter!

Our entire experience at Florblanca was absolutely perfect thanks to all the hard work of Cody and her staff. All of our guests were first timers to Costa Rica and they all loved their stay so much, they are all already planning their next trip Florblanca!

While most people experience stress planning their wedding, we experienced ease and excitement thanks to all the hard work of everyone at Florblanca.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Stephanie C
San Jose, Costa Rica
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2014

I stayed last weekend with my wife to celebrate 4 year anniversary..couldn´t chose beter resort and beach. Villas are huge! view to the ocean is great, please make sure to ask for villa 1!!! Food was great, there are great restaurants in town butNectar Restaurant is definitely the best food in town! Staff was great, always smiling and eager to help! I love it!

Room Tip: Request a villa closer to the ocean!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank eoreamuno
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2014

My wife and I were looking for a quiet and secluded luxury resort in Costa Rica for our ten year wedding anniversary and we found it in Florblanca. We were spoiled from the moment we arrived. Friendly staff took care of our every need for the duration of our stay. The weather cooperated, the wildlife was active and the beach was fantastic. The food was great, the drinks were better, the spa was relaxing and the hotel has aligned themselves with some fantastic excursion companies. Santa Teresa is well located for surfing, rain forest tours, bikes into town, horseback riding. We highly recommend the ATV excursion to the waterfall. Simply amazing. The open air suite was great, the hammock was a favourite and the bed was wonderfully comfortable. We have been recommending Florblanca to all of our friends who are thinking of Costa RIca.

Room Tip: Not a bad suite on the resort. All are big but the honeymoon suite is huge and very secluded with a...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Ko Samui, Thailand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2013

Somewhere at some time this hotel was amazing but it has totally lost the plot. Popping some red petals on a bed does not luxury make.
The location on the beach is lovely and the sound of the waves wonderful. Santa Teresa is a dust bowl and indeed the whole town is covered in a thick layer of said dust due to the unmade road which lends a scruffy feel to the area. The effort to get there was not worth it for us – the drive is over 2 hours from the Route 1 a lot of it on unmade roads – interesting but to end up in a surfers’ paradise when you aren’t a surfer not my bag. Will hold my hat up to bad research and annoyingly someone on TA recommended another hotel in Nicoya area which I am sure would have been better but I ignored them.
The scruffy theme is continued in our room. There is a tear in the sofa, my loo seat looks like someone has had an accident (they haven’t it is just marked) and I’m asked not to flush toilet paper down the loo! If I had been told I needed to put my loo paper in a bin (as in Greece) I would have hesitated to book. If I knew how dark and dingy the (massive) space (lights on during the day) was I would probably have avoided. If I had known the place is tired beyond belief - and for the prices needs a major facelift – I would have body swerved completely.
In Costa Rica, where to date we have been blown out of the water by amazing service, then this is the hotel we felt we liked least. Nothing wrong – indeed mostly charming girls – but just not that extra je ne sais quoi we experienced elsewhere.
At half the price it would be a four but at the rate we are paying then it is a three and the value is my main reason for the mark down. I am writing this at The Four Seasons in a canopy suite with five restaurants and a host of amenities – true five star – and it is cheaper than Florblanca.
BUT we had a lovely time. The wildlife is great – iguanas, birds, squirrels and the ocean and beach are delightfully noisy and interesting. The food is good – simple and flexible which works for us. Having a kitchen with a huge fridge is great too. We stocked up on beer, wine and Pellegrino as our consumption is ridiculous.
The weather was interesting. Lots of rain at night which is a problem as the roof is so noisy! Can deal with the downpours – it is the droplets afterwards which make sleep difficult.
In summation I would guess Florblanca - given previous ecstatic reviews - just isn’t suited to our demographic. If you are under 35, haven’t spent much time in five star resorts and are too cool for school then it might just be your heaven.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Fleetcat
FlorblancaManager, General Manager at Florblanca Resort, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Dear Traveler,

Thank you for your review. We are sorry to hear Florblanca did not suit you. I will simply describe how we define luxury travel at Florblanca and the experience we wish to create for all travelers who journey to visit us.

We are not a large branded hotel, and we do not strive to give that type of experience to our clients. We do strive to provide excellent service and the upmost comfort and enjoyment throughout the hotel. Unfortunately, your sofa had a very small tear in it the day before you arrived, but we could not get a replacement before you arrived due to how far we are from a major city. I do apologize for that. It has since been replaced with two beautiful rattan sofas covered with the best sunbrella fabric.

With only eleven villas, we strive to be personal, exclusive, and authentic. Our wish is that all of our clients leave Florblanca with more knowledge of our area of Costa Rica than when they arrived. Luxury at Florblanca is our open air villas that allow each client to live one with nature. That does mean that they might not be spotless every minute of every day. We have salt water blowing in, sand at your door, and creatures who live on our property. Luxury is our food, using only local and seasonal ingredients and offering as organic produce as we have access to. Luxury at Florblanca is our staff, each genuine and unique in their own way, and most all from this region. Luxury travel at Florblanca is our award winning spa, our privately guided tours by local biologists, untouched pristine beaches, picture perfect sunsets, our long time yoga instructor that people come back to practice with year after year, a private Pilates studio over looking the Pacific, creative cocktails that you can only find here, and much much more.

Regarding our demographic, we receive people from all over the world, and of all ages. We host honeymooners and those celebrating romance, families looking for adventures, foodies, spa lovers, yogis, single travelers and groups looking to disconnect from the fast pace of their jobs, surfers and non-surfers to name a few. But the common denominator of our guests is that most all are looking for an authentic experience; an experience full of stories to return home with. And, that is what we strive to give each day.

Lastly, sustainability is our pride and joy. We hope to maintain this part of the planet that we are so grateful to be a part of. Our goal is that for generations and generations, tourists will have the pleasure of enjoying this part of Costa Rica just as it is today. That does mean that our guests have to do their part, including not putting toilet paper in the toilet. Our septic systems are fragile.

Again, I am sorry Florblanca did not suit you.

Thank you for allowing me to give insight to what luxury travel is at Florblanca, and on behalf of our entire staff we wish you the best in the new year.

Pura Vida,
Rowayton CT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2013

to describe this oasis! We spent 5 nights at Florblanca in early Dec 2013 after visiting the cloud forest and then the Harmony Hotel in Nosara. As soon as we arrived in Santa Teresa I loved the area. Okay, the road is now beyond what might be considered quaint, but unlike Nosara, which is also a surf town, Santa Teresa/Malpais hasa much more bustling feel and is MUCH more diverse. Italians, Germans, Costa Ricans from other parts of the country, British, Americans, Dutch.. just a real melting pot. But it really is a surf town, and unless you are into surfing and/or yoga, you may not be as enthralled with it.
So, that is the town. Then we arrived at Florblanca and I was truly mesmerized. Just a total feeling of peace, tranquility and awe when we were shown to our 'room'. There are 11 'rooms' and they are actually very large villas with everything open air except the BR. I LOVED it. It was total bliss to have this luxurious living area, complete with unique items like lamps, lighting fixtures, table, and a hammock, all open to the jungle but with a roof still over your head! Totally private yet at one with nature. I loved to wake up in the morning and pad out to the hammock and look up at the jungle and listen to the howler monkeys in the distance. So peaceful and at one with nature!
And the bathroom! Gigantic. May have been bigger than our hotel room in Nosara at the Harmony :). All open air as well with a big garden area right in the bathroom. Awesome shower. I LOVE this bathroom.
The BR is air conditioned which is great for sleeping. But really it never got too hot in our main living area. Because you are in the jungle it is rather shady. I also did not experience many bugs which was surprising. We did however have some nightly visits by the local raccoons as evidenced by our trash cans being rummaged through the next morning! I thought that was hysterical.
The rooms are super clean and have every little amenity you could want. Great closet space, luggage racks, plenty of room and shelves in bathroom for toiletries, minibar, etc, Even little flashlights and bug spray.
The grounds are gorgeous. Steps from the beach so you have a real confluence of jungle and beach.
Gorgeous, gorgeous pool.
Very nice restaurant.
Extremely helpful and friendly concierge.
Beautiful spa although I didn't have a chance to enjoy any services there but did buy items from their gift store!
Fun yoga class.
We are new to surfing and took 2 lessons with Eric who works for them. He was AWESOME. It is true that the beginning surfing beach is a mile drive away, but it was no big deal. If you are a surfer, you can take your board right out to the beach at Florblanca and walk a bit to the left for a good surf beach. Though not right in front of the hotel it is very close. The beach is gorgeous. Sitting on the chairs on the beach listening to the waves crash was heaven.
We also took at tour to Curu Wildlife Refuge with Douglas who was very good. We had a great day there and saw lots of white faced capuchin monkeys!
My only 'complaint' is that the restaurant is VERY expensive. We ended up having 5 glasses of wine one night and it was $75! A dinner is easily $200. It made us eat out several nights where we got some very good meals for $60 or so...It would be great if they had a bar menu of smaller less expensive fare. I think that would attract more people.
The villas are also very expensive and don't include anything except breakfast. But, what can I say, this is like my favorite place of all time. I didn't want to leave the villa.. so that it why it is priced the way it is..
Very sad to leave..

Room Tip: They are all good..
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Playa Cielo
Playa Cielo
#5 of 26 in Santa Teresa
Tango Mar Beachfront Boutique Hotel & Villas

Been to Florblanca Resort? Share your experiences!