Hotel Tropico Latino
Manala Hotel(Santa Teresa)(Great Value!)
$100
Savings alert! 12% below average rates

The price you found is 12% lower than this hotel's average rate of $113/night.

Hotel Meli Melo(Santa Teresa)(Great Value!)
$55
$40
$146
$229
$214
Otro Lado Lodge and Restaurant(Santa Teresa)(Great Value!)
$68
Casa Zen Guest House & Yoga Center(Santa Teresa)(Great Value!)
$34
Blue Surf Sanctuary(Santa Teresa)
$110
Fuego Lodge(Santa Teresa)(Great Value!)
$110
Villas Solar(Santa Teresa)(Great Value!)
Priceline
Florblanca Resort(Santa Teresa)
$388
All reviewsbeach frontpura vida adventuresbeach housecosta ricagarden viewbeachfront bungalowspa servicessurf campfacing the oceanprivate porchtropical paradisehotel groundsmal paisyoga studiogreat beachplaya carmenbanana beach
Reviewed August 8, 2012

I spent 3 nights in this lovely hotel right on the beautiful Santa Teresa beach where surfing is ripping.
The staff is soo cool, the restaurant and the swimming pool are a plus and the bungalow are very comfortable( I stayed at #6).
I would definitelly recommend to anybody.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Fabsurf
HotelTropicoLatino, Manager at Hotel Tropico Latino, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2012

Thank you for staying with us!

I'm happy to hear you enjoyed the surf , the staff and the bungalows!

Thanks again for recommending our hotel.

We hope to see you soon!

Reviewed August 8, 2012

My wife & I enjoyed a memorable vacation a couple of weeks ago here. Going out on vacation for us it’s always a challenge due to work, so whenever we’re able to our expectations are very high…Tropico Latino definitely exceeded them.

The biggest take away is their restaurant, it’s been a long time since the last time we were able to enjoy of great cuisine in a beach environment…KUDOS to their chef –Randy- & his staff!!

We're already planning our next vacation (hopefully happening soon enough) and Tropica Latino is definitely the destination of choice.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Hi Guillermo,

Thanks for choosing us, we understand its hard to get off from work to travel and vacation. I'm happy you enjoyed your stay.

I'll pass along your compliments to the chef! Randy will be very happy hear them!

See you soon!

Reviewed August 6, 2012

My family of 4 stayed here from 7/31 thru 8/4/12.We stayed in a Garden View Bungalow which was quite roomy for the price. No TV which I will say I preferred but my teenage sons might disagree. The AC was super cold and that along with nice beds made sleeping very comfortable.The location in Santa Teresa make most places in town easily accessible by foot or a short drive by car.The grocery store across the street made getting snacks and beverages including beer,wine and rum much more affordable than spending money at the hotel. I'm not big on paying Bar prices for beer and wine or sodas and snacks for my teenage sons.There is also an excellent close, local selection of really great places to eat from simple to WOW.Not wow like elegant but the food we ate while in Santa Teresa was world class in my families opinion in a variety of great, tropical settings.We never ate at the hotel after be given so many other options but some locals.Try Zulas across the street for smoothies, the Green is the best. Try Habanerso for Mexican and Fish, the best Grouper I ever had, Las Piedras for chicken, they advertis "The chicken is the Sh.t" and it is.Try The Bakery for the best breakfast in town.There are numerous other options that were all excellent.
My wife really enjoyed the onsite spa. The kids surfed with Pura Vida Adventures everday, also on site with really pleasant, caring instructors.The surf at the hotel can be pleasant or brutal depending on the local conditions. The beach is beautiful with some of the best shell collecting we have ever done.
I don't have much of an opinion on the staff, they were pleasant but we did not have much interaction as we were gone from the premises alot.We did not eat there, I did have a few beers and the bartenderrs were attentive and quite pleasant. The front desk ladies strugggled with english but my spainish made that less of a problem. Overall we enjoyed our time there and would not hesitate to go back. That being said I will tell you the few things that bothered me.
1. Trip advisor posted a coupon for a free 60 minute massage. The coupon reads"valid for one person at the SPA" there are no additonal disclaimers. As there we 4 people in my part I presented the desk at check in with 4 coupons. I was told it was good for "only" one person. This is far from clear on Tripadvisor or the coupon itself. There are no specific rules or disclaimers specifically stating this limitation and I was not satisfied with the explanation I received. That deal still exists on Tripadvisor so I looked again and still feel I was right presenting 4 coupons and was not satisfied.
2. If you try to deal with the hotel directly they want a downpayment by Western Union, Check or International Wire transfer and then cash at checkout. I was not comfortable with these choices so I booked the room thru Expedia and was able to pay by Credit Card which gave me some security.
3.The hotel lists itself as The Hotel Tropico Latino but in Santa Teresa they are the Tropico Latino Lodge. I pointed out this discrepancy to the front desk. Although a minor detail a discrepancy none the less. The women did not know I spoke Spainish as I presented myself in English so they made some less than kind comments between them and had a laugh on me. Good for them. They might want to be cautious in the future, you never know who speaks your language do you?
4.I rented a Garmin GPS to make getting there easy. The listing on Garmin comes up as Tropico Latino in Cobano. Apparently in Costa Rica they use the nearest town. Again I guess I'm the fool and should have known this. I wanted to go to Santa Teresa not Cobano, they are really quite a few kilometers from each other so be advised.
5. We took the ferry from Puntarenas to Paquera. Once you exit the ferry the first 45 minutes or so are a decent road. The last 10 Kilometers into Santa Teresa are probably the worst roads in Costa Rica so beware!
Again I'll say I liked the hotel and its location overall and if you want to get away it really should satisfy you.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank davidm34746
HotelTropicoLatino, Manager at Hotel Tropico Latino, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2012

Thank you for your review, we appreciate your feedback.

As you mentioned the rooms do not have TV as most of the hotels in the area but we do provide high speed Wifi in every room. Now days our guests can stay in contact with their loved ones and entertain themselves using the web.

I'm happy to hear you enjoyed the restaurants in the area, santa teresa is known for number of good choices. Its to bad you did not get a chance to try the hotels dishes, I'm sure you would have liked them.

I'm glad your children enjoyed the surf lessons, there is surf for all levels here.

I apologize if the cupon promotion confused you. The idea of the promotion was to offer a free 60 min massage per stay for one person as an added service. As you arrived with a party of 4 people the promotion would not make sense because if the average nightly rate is $100, I could not offer you a total of $240 (4 x $60 per massage) for the spa. We would be giving out double of what is received. When we launched the promotion we thought it would be a nice service to offer and people love the massages of the spa. It was not our intention to disappoint you. I will articulate the restrictions in more detail next time.

Regarding the payment method, we now are also accepting PayPal as an option. This should resolve the issue you mentioned.

Our hotel is one of the first in the area and when it started it had 9 bungalows and a small restaurant. Today it has 21 bungalows, a spa, 2 yoga decks and many more features that do not fit into the word "lodge" as opposed to the early days. Our road sign is carved in wood and it still shows the word lodge. To change it we need to carve it again which we will shortly. I don't think this will in any way affect the overall experience of our guests.

I've spoken to my staff about the incident you mentioned and from their point of view one was just trying to explain to the other how the promotional cupons worked. They spoke in spanish because it is their native language. They were by no means trying to make fun of you. They are two very dedicated and polite people from which I would not expect this behavior. I apologize if this made you feel that way.

The GPS coordinates is a good point, thanks for bringing it up. I will send my guests the coordinates so they can plug them in the Garmin and arrive straight to the hotel in Santa Teresa.
As you said, Cobano is the closes town in the peninsula but we are located in front of the beach in Santa Teresa.

I understand getting here is an adventure but with time the roads will improve. This s also what keeps this place as a lost paradise.

I'm happy to hear you will come back if you have the chance.

Warm regards.

Reviewed July 20, 2012

We had a family vacation there and just love the place, it was fully equipped and was plenty of room the entire family and more, the room was so close to the beach that we could sleep listening the waves, is totally safe for kids since no stairs.

Also has a refreshing pool just for relaxing and rocking chairs under big shading trees where you can easily sleep or just enjoy the surfers catch up the next wave.

Definitely recommended

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
HotelTropicoLatino, Manager at Hotel Tropico Latino, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2012

Hi!

I'm glad your family enjoyed the hotel and being so close to the beach. Its fun to watch the surf from the room.

Thanks again for recommending us!

Reviewed July 18, 2012

This was our fourth stay at Tropico. This hotel has a special place in our hearts, so I wanted to take the time to post a review. We got married here in April of 2010, which was absolutely perfect, and have enjoyed each visit since 2008.

This time we stayed a week and we both wanted to stay longer. The bungalows are private and perfect, the grounds meticulously maintained, the staff wonderful, (especially everyone in reception, the manager Roberto, and Nadia who works at the spa) the pool tranquil, and the spa divine. Be sure to do a massage or facial with Nadia while you're there--the best. Can't wait to return!

We truly love Tropico! Muchas gracias y pura vida! -Emily and Dean

• Stayed: July 2012
HotelTropicoLatino, Manager at Hotel Tropico Latino, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2012

Hi Emily,
Thank you for choosing us for your wedding back in 2010. its so nice to hear its your fourth time coming back!
I'm glad you enjoyed the bungalows and you were well attended by the staff, this is great to hear.
Next time you come we will give you a courtesy massage as a thank you gesture for choosing us once again!

Warm regards