“Great Location/Beautiful View”

Hotel Tropico Latino
Ranked #2 of 27 Hotels in Santa Teresa
Reviewed June 5, 2012

We stayed two nights at Hotel Tropico Latino and loved our stay. The location could not have been better, right on the beach. The Beach Front Superior rooms (21 and 22) are beautiful, as is the suite below them. The staff is also very friendly and helpful. We'd definitely stay again if we return to this part of Costa Rica.

Room Tip: Try to rent one of the Beachfront Superior Rooms (21 or 22). We stayed in 22, and I think the other...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
HotelTropicoLatino, Manager at Hotel Tropico Latino, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2012

Thanks for your comments on our new phase of the hotel.

I'm happy you enjoyed being right on the beach!

On behalf of our staff, thanks for staying with us and we hope to have you back soon!

Reviewed June 1, 2012

When I stay at Tropico Latino, I particularly enjoy its garden, swimming pool, exquisite food at the restaurant and of course the
beautiful ocean waves as they break on the rocks. Waking up and seeing the beautiful beach in front of the hotel makes it all
worthwhile. I also recommend the spa with highly professional staff.
Wether it be summer or rainy season, staying at the Tropico Latino is a good experience.
The staff at the restaurant is always so attentive with clients and trying different meals from the menu make it a special nice place
to enjoy breakfast, lunch and dinner. I have stayed there several times, and look forward to visiting again in the near future.
I specially recommend the beach front where you can enjoy the sound of the waves and the garden and pool in front. I also want
to recommend the staff in general for being so kind and helpful with anything you need. Come and enjoy walking the beautiful
beaches that Sta. Teresa has to offer and Hotel Tropico Latino is right in front, great location for a wonderful vacation.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Management response:Responded June 23, 2012

Hi Sylvia,

On behalf of the staff of Tropico Latino, we were all very moved with the kindness of your comments.

We know you love nature and this is the place to enjoy it.

We look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed May 31, 2012

Please do not miss this gem. The grounds are breath taking, and the staff will do what it takes to make you happy. To a point. Hugo at the reception bungalow had a surfboard deliverd to my room. Beat that westin!!!! Our room was so quite and peaceful I'm not saying the number so I can have it again. Roberto the hotel manager gave afree massage to someone having a bad day! And the hotel had nothing to do with her problem. Danielle picked out our room after a few emails. Danny has about 3 jobs and knows the surf and is super helpfull...... To all the staff
Thanx

Room Tip: Just tell them your needs
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
HotelTropicoLatino, Manager at Hotel Tropico Latino, responded to this reviewResponded June 1, 2012

Thank you so much for your review! Not sharing the room number was so funny, don't worry we will keep it for you! I'm glad you liked our staff and that they were able to help you out, thats what we are here for.

We hope you get a chance to come back soon, the surf will be waiting!

Warm regards

Reviewed May 22, 2012

I stayed at Hotel Tropico Latino through Pura Vida Adventures Surf & Yoga Camp. In my experience, the service provided by everyone from Cristina in the Office, the restaurant/bar staff, to the staff at the spa was fantastic and I enjoyed every minute of it. The food and drinks were great. My room was spacious, clean and a few steps to the incredible beaches of Santa Teresa. It is also an easy walk out on the main road if you choose to go to the other restaurants or to the shops in Santa Teresa. I can't comment about the full retail value of the rooms but the price of the surf package with meals and accomodations at Hotel Tropico Latino was well worth it.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
HotelTropicoLatino, Manager at Hotel Tropico Latino, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2012

Thank you so much for your great review!

I'm glad you enjoyed the location and our services. Our staff is doing a great effort to provide a good experience to our guests and I'm happy to hear you had a good time.

At the end of the day, thats what its all about. Let us know if you ever want to come back and we will give you a great deal!

Manager.

Reviewed May 10, 2012

I did not stay at this hotel on my recent trip to Santa Teresa but the massages and restaurant were highly recommended by the staff at my hotel up the street, so my boyfriend and I went for dinner one night, then massages and lunch the next day. Final verdict: Beautiful beachfront location. Go for a fantastic beachside massage, then get a frosty drink and hang out in the bar, by the pool, or in one of their hammocks under the shade next to the beach. DON'T bother with the restaurant. There are MUCH better and tastier choices in Santa Teresa. (ALMA, Salsa Saté @ Manalá Hotel, The Bakery, Chicken Joes...)

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Bianca C
HotelTropicoLatino, Manager at Hotel Tropico Latino, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2012

Thanks for your kind comments on our location! I'm happy to hear you enjoyed the massage, the frosty drinks and social areas at the restaurant and hammock spaces. I love watching sunsets from here when I get a chance.

I agree the restaurants you mentioned are great and fun but I'm also confident our chef could very well come up with some very innovative recipes for you to enjoy :) Please let me know if you ever come back and we will setup something nice. I maybe wrong, but I anticipate you will have great dinning experience!

See you soon!

Reviewed May 8, 2012

This was my second stay in less than 4 months at Tropico Latino. If it weren't for the amazing location, I wouldn't have returned the second time, and while I love Santa Teresa, not sure if I would stay at Tropico again. Basically, the price you pay for Tropico Latino is unreasonably high for the accommodations you get. It's not a nice hotel and you get the absolute bare minimum (think U.S. motel) when it comes to services. But you get the unbelievably beautiful beach and the convenient location. Specifically, the pros and cons are....

PROs: Location, location, location!
- If you like a sleepy little surf town, you can't beat Santa Teresa. And Tropico Latino is very conveniently located for surfing, restaurants, etc.
- Has a fantastic beach and adequate pool.
- We had terrific massages at the spa.
- Front desk staff tries hard to be accommodating (but they have very little to work with).

CONS: Pretty much everything else.
- The rooms are very sparse and not especially clean. They did not change the sheets at all (and after 6 days at the beach and lots of sand, it would have been appreciated at least once) and didn't replace dirty bath towels.
- There is a very long walk from where you are dropped off/picked up to the rooms and there is no one to help with bags.
- If you stay in a beachfront room, the paths to the villas are not at all lit and it is very difficult (and scary!) to find your way to the room at night.
- The front desk closes at 8pm and if you need help at night or have an emergency (sick in the middle of the night), you are pretty much going to die in the jungle.
- The WiFi didn't work in our room either visit.
- They run out of towels for the pool/beach at about 9am every day. I think they have five towels for the entire hotel!
- The restaurant is horrible. The service is unbelievably bad, the food below average, and the prices high.
- The yoga classes provided by the hotel were not great and twice the instructor didn't come.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
HotelTropicoLatino, Manager at Hotel Tropico Latino, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2012

Dear Erin,
I hope you are doing well.

I'm Roberto de manager of Hotel Tropico Latino.

I read your review, thanks for taking the time to write it. I'm glad you enjoyed the location, pool, SPA massages and front desk service.

Here are my thoughts regarding your feedback:

I'm surprised that your room was not cleaned, our housekeeping staff has indications to clean the room on a daily basis and to change the towels when they are left on the floor. There is a card that is left on the bed to inform the guests they can leave the towels on the floor when they want them replaced. Was this informational card in place during your stay? Maybe by mistake the card was not left? I truly believe that if the cleaning ladies had found the towels on the floor they would have replaced them immediately. Either way it was our responsibility and I apologize for the inconvenience.

Part of the beauty and charisma of Tropico Latino is the property ground dimension and tropical feel. Having almost 2 beachfront hectares gives a great sense of expansion and privacy, the accommodations are spread out as opposed to other hotels where everything is tight together. The distance between the main entrance and room #21 is 250 m (approximately only a 3 min walk). Still we understand that it is more comfortable to be dropped off in front of the room so we now also have an access road that surrounds the property that leads to the new phase of the hotel. We are now redirecting the taxis and transfers to this road to make it easier.

The front desk schedule is from 7am to 8 pm, yet this does not mean you will die in the jungle. Our restaurant staff is also trained to help and support our guests from 8pm to 10pm and our 24/7 security guards would help you between 10pm and 7 am in the morning. I know my staff would run if something happened, we would never just leave you. Never the less, we will be including this note in our "room book" shortly to prevent this miscommunication. I will send you a copy of our informational book when its done, it will be in every room.

Regarding the WIFi, we have suffered from this issue because or provider (ICE) has given us an unstable connection. After talking to them they say that by reducing the bandwidth/ distance relation they can guarantee us a more stable connection. So we are going ahead with this change so that future guests can enjoy a smooth internet connection. Please consider that there are challenges in conducting an operation in a remote area of an underdeveloped country, there can be infrastructure difficulties as opposed to a big city were all services work perfectly. However the lack of community development is also part of the fun when traveling here as it also comes with more unexplored areas, wildlife, nature, simpleness... etc. As an alternative, the hotel does offer free WIFI in the restaurant, reception and social areas.

The beach towel issue is the result having many guests taking the towels with them. When the dry season starts in November we always replenish our beach towel inventory for the season. This year I bought twice the amount of towels the hotel needed so imagine my frustration when I read your review. I guess the only way to correct this problem is by implementing a policy of having a deposit applied to the room when the towels are given out, this will help by holding our guests a little more responsible. In the end it is really frustrating to hear you experienced this lack because our intention was to have more than needed from the beginning. I apologize again for your troubles and I'm confident the deposit policy will help correct the issue.

Regarding the restaurant, I'm sorry the dinning experience was not up to your standards. I understand there was difference of opinions, specifically around the dessert . Having worked in hospitality my recommendation would have been to deduct this item from the bill and accept your feedback as valid point of view. I spoke to Randy, our chef, about this and while it is difficult to accept that a dessert that everybody in town loves does not meet your expectations, your opinion is valid and we should still listen and acknowledge your feedback, not re enforce how good it is. I disagree the food is below average and the prices are high because we have studied the price point of our competitive set of beachfront hotels and the prices are the same or below. As a manager I also need to look for tendencies within all the feedback I get and the tendency of most of our guests and outside visitors has been very positive so I think that despite what the chef and myself think the public is expressing their content.

Lastly, regarding the yoga classes, would it be to much to ask if you let us know the day and time the schedule was missed. With this information I can follow up on this issue.

Erin, at the end of the day its your overall travel experience what matters and I understand its not easy to take time from work or other life activities to take a trip or vacation. I don't feel good about you not having a good time, I do take pride in our management and staff. I promise we will take the necessary actions to revert the situation.

To start I would like to offer you a credit (50% of your last visits worth) hopping that if there is a 3rd time you come back we get a chance to make things right. It would be great to actually introduce ourselves and look back at this in a conciliating manner. Just let us know if you’d like to take us up on the offer.

I want you to know that I'm in the best disposition to try to compensate for the cons you listed and that I'm not looking to see who has the better argument. I simply want to work things out and I'm hopping that whatever motivated you to come second time is still there and that you want to come back again.

Reviewed April 26, 2012

We were not happy about this hotel. The two-bedroom house had a reallly low standard, and was located in the back-yard. The evening we arrived it was heavy rain, and the roof din`t keep the rain out. The area outside the house was not comfortable in any way. The service by the hotel staff was in our opininon way below wath one can expect, and som times members acted directely rude. The resturant were of same quality as discribed abow. Find an other place to stay,if you want to visit Santa Teresa.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Strofe
HotelTropicoLatino, Manager at Hotel Tropico Latino, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2012

Dear Strofe,
I hope you are doing well.

My name is Roberto de la Ossa, I'm the manager of Hotel Tropico Latino.

I wanted to apologize for the inconvenience you experienced in the two bedroom house. Thank you for bringing these issues to our attention. I will be looking into the roofing of the room to prevent this from happening again. I guarantee this will be fixed imidiately. I've also taken a deep look into the room with my assistant to find opportunities of improvement and decoration. The first thing we have done is replace the bed linens with new, more modern duvets and higher quality sheets (300 thread count) to make the sleeping conditions much more inviting.

We definitely appreciate every kind of criticism and suggestions about our units. In fact, it’s one of the only ways we can improve. My email is rdelaossa@hoteltropicolatino.com, I would highly appreciate if you shared an email with us about any examples of the service level were we might be able to improve.

Because the poor reviews hurt us so much, we would like to invite you back for a complimentary 2 night stay in the future and show you that we have made all the necessary improvements. Just let us know if you’d like to take us up on the offer.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Santa Teresa
Tango Mar Beachfront Boutique Hotel & Villas
Hotel Santa Teresa
Hotel Santa Teresa
#22 of 27 in Santa Teresa

Been to Hotel Tropico Latino? Share your experiences!