Hotel Tropico Latino
$146
$221
$161
Savings alert! 34% below average rates

The price you found is 34% lower than this hotel's average rate of $245/night.

Manala Hotel(Santa Teresa)(Great Value!)
$99
Savings alert! 18% below average rates

The price you found is 18% lower than this hotel's average rate of $120/night.

Hotel Meli Melo(Santa Teresa)(Great Value!)
$55
$40
Otro Lado Lodge and Restaurant(Santa Teresa)(Great Value!)
$70
Hotels.com
Casa MarBella(Santa Teresa)(Great Value!)
$105
Canaima Chill House(Santa Teresa)(Great Value!)
$89
Fuego Lodge(Santa Teresa)(Great Value!)
$110
Florblanca Resort(Santa Teresa)
$400
Casa Zen Guest House & Yoga Center(Santa Teresa)(Great Value!)
All reviewsbeach frontpura vida adventuresbeach housecosta ricagarden viewbeachfront bungalowspa servicessurf campfacing the oceanprivate porchtropical paradisehotel groundsmal paisyoga studiogreat beachplaya carmenbanana beach
Reviewed January 14, 2012

We spent the tropical portion of our honeymoon at Tropico Latino and had a great time. Luz is fantastic, she helped us out left and right. We arrived unannounced a day early, and they were able to accommodate us in a nice room, then the next day we moved to our beachfront cabina - which was perfect! We arrived the day of a festival and had great food, surfing, and tremendous fun.

To the reviewer who thought they had branches scraping the roof - perhaps it was a roof iguana? There are ropes all over between the roof-lines and trees, I'd imagine to keep heavy iguanas from plopping down on guests heads. This isn't just Tropico, it's all over the area. Metal roof = nice warm place for reptiles to get a little sun. Our roof iguana moved around to the same spots each day, following the sun, and we thought he was quite cool.

Overall, if you're used to a serf buffing your toenails for you upon your arrival at a hotel, this isn't the place for you. If you respect yourself and others, and your planet, want to be right on the beach and have some of Santa Teresa's best food, by all means go to Tropico.

Room Tip: Beachfront cabinas, all the way.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Eric N
Reviewed January 3, 2012

We stayed at Tropico Latino from December 24th to December 28th/ 2011. Our kids are 15 & 13. The location is great with regards to proximity to banks/ grocery/ other restaurants/ etc. All within walking distance.

The hotel itself is sweet, lovely/ lush grounds/ meandering pathways through the greenery...very pretty and private. Take note though...to walk on the gravel paths you def need flip-flops or some form of footwear, lol...or ouch! We were in Garden View Bungalow #4. It was perfect in respect to beach proximity/ proximity to pool/ restaurant/ etc. It's large enough with 2 double beds, coffee maker, small fridge, nice bathroom with large shower. They have air co as well as fans, and a very large deck with table, chairs and hammock. We also had a little outdoor tap area to rinse feet. All in all a sweet little bungalow. There were red squirrels & howlers on the property daily btw. All of the "garden view" bungalows are along the same path that runs from the pool/ restaurant area towards the road. So, even #1 which is the closest to the road in truth isn't that close to the rd. Ultimately, the difference between being in Bungalow 2 or 5 is literally a few extra steps, so don't fret over that. The "beach" bungalow does have an ocean view.....but I don't think I'd pay the extra to be in it over a garden view. Now, there are the standard rooms which are at the back of the property by the parking lot/rd. They are large rooms & the least expensive, but farthest from the beach...but "far" is relative...30 extra steps if you are on a budget ....no big deal. They have a beach front suite unit, and the new Beach house...both more $$$, but very lovely. If you are at the pool restaurant area facing the beach they are off to the right a bit.....very lovely indeed if you have the $$. The 2 bedroom house is in behind these in the jungle, a bit by itself.

Now for the restaurant....it recently changed from Al Chile Viola to Shambala so I think they are trying to find their "footing". Staff was sweet and friendly in the resto, but they were only 2 and thus it was quite slow( we weren't in a rush ). But....we found the portions very small & the prices high in comparison to other places of similar rating. Thus, we didn't frequent the restaurant on the property which was a bit of a pain. They need to adjust their prices....

The reception staff was sweet & helpful( thank you Diego) calling cabs, making reservations for us, etc. Check in and check out was fast & great.

The beach directly in front has a bit of rock formation, but a few steps left or right and its no issue...plus the little pools at lowtide are fun.

Santa Teresa is a cool little town, the beach is very beautiful, especially towards Florblanca. So north of Tropico Latino towards Florblanca is the prettiest stretch(imho).Things are indeed stretched out along the one long, dusty rd. You can walk it, just be careful. We cabbed it to restos further away ie Kikas. That would have taken a good twenty minutes to 1/2 hr. And I would never do it at night.

We ate at Kikas, Brisas del Mar, Vista de Olas, and Gumbo Limbo. Our steaks were fab at Vista de Olas. Our meal at Kikas was great. It was "good" at Brisas which is apparently "the" spot....but our best meal was at Gumbo Limbo. And great, friendly service from owner.

Our bank card did get eaten at one bank, and the other was out of cash. We got our card the next am, and the other bank had $$. It was a bit of a pain in the butt to always be going to the bank to get cash....one doesn't want to carry too much $$$ around at one time, and very, very, very few places take credit card. Keep that in mind with your planning.

Ultimately Tropico Latino was a good choice, and we got our bearing with regards to where things are...the layout, etc. Since in the end we cabbed it everywhere ( with the exception of banking/ grocery ) staying up towards the Florblanca area/ or in Malpais would be no issue. WE chose Tropico because we thought it might be more "active" for our teens, ultimately...it wasn't a dealbreaker.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank faithie
Reviewed January 1, 2012

My friend and i were looking to have a nice dinner in Santa Teresa for New Years Eve. Hotel Tropico Latino has a lovely restaurant called Shambala and the special menu was incredible. After sharing the gyozo and brussel sprout appetizers we both had the fish ratatouille which was amazing! After some chocolate cake with passion fruit ice cream the party moved to the beach with fire spinning, african drumming, a massive bonfire and hula hooping. The owners of the hotel are the most lovely people i have met in a very long time. The property is so beautiful and i look forward to going back and spending a few nights there. They also have an amazing spa and yoga studio on the property.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 16, 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed here for six days in December. It was our favorite stop on our trip (in fact, we wished we had stayed there the whole time!) It was perfectly located on the beach in Mal Pais, a quick walk to many (amazing) restaurants and grocery stores etc. The food and staff at the restaurant was great, front desk staff (Daniella) was more than helpful - we couldn't have been happier.

Highly, highly recommend.

Room Tip: The beachfront/garden view bungalows are the way to go!
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 31, 2011

Upon arrival this place was awesome. We stayed in the beach bungalow 2nd off the beach. No ocean view but the sounds of the surf put me right to sleep. My 6 year old daughter was scared of it only once when the swell was up and pounding. My 6 month old son didn't seem to mind. Mom was alittle uptight about the wide open spaces along the floor and wall but there weren't really any bugs in the place (maybe a few). AC worked like a champ and the beds were ok. They even provided a crib for the little guy. Fridge worked well and was stocked daily with room for a gallon or 2 of water, some Imperials and leftovers. Safe in the room had pleanty of space for all our valuables (GPS, see below). You can choose your own combo. We all loved the pool and the easy, stones throw, access to the beach. Surf was unbelievable every day we were there. Chest to head high, and some days bigger, all 7 days right out front. What a blast. Can't say enough about the beach. Not really for the kids tho. Anyway, restaurant was very good but a bit pricey. Working in the service industry my entire life I would have expected alot more warmth. Last night there I met a friend at the bar that I met earlier in the day. He was also staying there with his family. He told the bartender he would buy my 2 beers as I got them. In the end he says "You (me) pay for 2 and you pay for 3". My buddy says, "no, I wanted to get his beers". The bartender says "well its already written up" and he shows us a handwritten bill. My friend then says "well can't you change it?" With this he gets mad tells us were drunk and walks away. The waitress comes up and says she'll take care of it. We were the only 2 in the place. Not a very accomodating dude....FYI, do not, under any condition, leave anything of value in your car. As I was packing up for the ride back I realized someone had, or attempted to, break into our vehicle. We had nothing in it so its unknown if they were successful getting in. The damage to the vehicle cost me an extra few hundred. Funny it happened on our last night there. Left with much uneasieness about the car but I would def go back. Gotta be smart. For $195 per night I suppose I would have expected alot more but the memories we all brought back were totally worth it.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family