“Great Surfing Experience”
Review of Nalu

Nalu
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Owner description: Nalu Surf School & Shop offers professional surf lessons 1, 3 & 5 day courses for all ages. New and used boards for sale. Ding repair, surf tours by land and boat, surf clothing and accessories. With 12 years experience in the area and 29 years surfing experience we will help you with all your surfing needs during your visit.
Montreal, Canada
“Great Surfing Experience”
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Nalu Surf Shop/School was referred to us by Horizon Hotel. We needed surf lessons but also some coaching with respect to surfing in Santa Teresa (spots, tide, best swell during day etc.)
Ben, the owner offered us all that. Ben's "surf acumen" is unquestionable. On top of that, he has the right approach in connecting with people and remain very professionnal troughout the courses or when providing tips at his shop. Thank you for making our surfing experience memorable!
Catherine & Louis

Visited August 2013

Ottawa, Canada
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Abandoned me half-way through the lesson to go surf himself”
Reviewed August 7, 2013

I paid $45 for 1.5 hour surf lesson with the owner of Nalu Surf Shop, Ben. I had never surfed before in my life, and was very disappointed with Ben, who was very unprofessional. We arrived at the beach for my very first lesson, and the first thing he tells me is that all surfers need a rash-guard shirt to prevent chafing, but he had forgotten to tell me this at the store, so he doesn’t have one for me, so I need to surf in my normal button-up shirt I am wearing.

He then tells me (twice) that conditions are so good that he wishes he was surfing himself instead of teaching. A sign of things to come: After 15 minutes of dry-land instructions, we go in the water and Ben helps me take my first steps up on the board for 20-30 minutes. At that point, he says I should take a break because he wants to go surf himself, but will be “back in 30 minutes”.

30 minutes pass. An hour passes. An hour and half passes... At this point, we think he has simply ditched us! Finally, I have to walk up the beach to search for him, and find him happily surfing himself. I tell him we thought he left us! “Why?” he asks. “Because you said you’d be back in 30 minutes and it’s now been two hours!” He checks the time, and lies to my face “Ooh, it was only an hour... Surfing is really addictive, you know...”

He proceeds to give me the second half of the lesson (still not the full 1.5 hours I paid for), but the mood is gone and my first-ever surf lesson a real disappointment.

To Nalu Surf Shop and Ben, I say: Really unprofessional. If you don’t want to teach and would rather go surfing yourself, don’t take it out on the students.

Visited July 2013
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Better intro to surfing than I could've ever imagined”
Reviewed August 6, 2013

What an incredible few days surfing with Ben! A friendly, interesting, patient and encouraging teacher. I was able to get up during the first lesson and, with Ben's reassurance and encouragement, rode bigger waves by the end of the week! My travel mate, who had taken surf lessons before but had never managed to get up, was riding on her first day as well. Highly recommended - enjoy!

Visited April 2013
Woodside, Ca
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 73 helpful votes
“BEN IS AWESOME!!!!!!!”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

an overused word i realize but seriously. Patient, friendly, funny, laid back aussie in costa rica. Teaching a 44 and 54 year old to surf all week... I would tear my hair out. Spends hours in ocean, giving gentle directions and encouragement.

Visited June 2013
Gatineau, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Great experience”
Reviewed May 31, 2013

We had our 1st and 2nd surf lessons there and it was just perfect ! Ben, the owner of the shop, is very patient and knows exactly how to explain surf techniques so that beginners like ourselves understood exactly what we had to do. We got up many times on our 1st lesson, and I was able to paddle out (catch the waves themselves and not the "white water") on my 2nd lesson and it went great ! If I remember right, it's 45$ a lesson and you get to keep the board for a half day, which is pretty standard in Santa Teresa/Mal Paìs. The whole staff is very nice at the shop, but I really recommend you ask for Ben when you go there. Enjoy !

Visited May 2013