“Great Board Recommendation!”
Review of Nalu

Nalu
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Owner description: Nalu Surf School & Shop offers professional surf lessons 1, 3 & 5 day courses for all ages. New and used boards for sale. Ding repair, surf tours by land and boat, surf clothing and accessories. With 12 years experience in the area and 29 years surfing experience we will help you with all your surfing needs during your visit.
Reviewed June 13, 2012

I came in because I was staying at a place up a steep hill and didn't want to lug a board down and up with a 2 an 4 year old. I am brand new to surfing and the guy was so kind. He recommended a fantastic soft board (Roxy Pink- too cute and seemed brand new!) which was great for a beginner. I didn't feel intimidated at all going in and having no clue. He cut a deal since it was just for the afternoon and all I left was my drivers license. less than 10$ bucks, nice guy and felt totally at ease. Thanks!

Reviewed June 5, 2012

The guys at Nalu Surf School & Shop were patient and friendly with me and our twin 7 year old boys. The boys (the kids, not dad) did great, while I learned how to surf (in theory). At the very least they inspired us to try surfing again next time we're at a beach. Most importantly, they made it fun, which is how it should be. I've never had so much fun falling down dozens of times!

Reviewed May 31, 2012

Good location in heart of santa teresa. Ben took us to a nice point break that was easier than the beach at CocoLoco, but better than Playa hermosa.

Reviewed May 18, 2012

Nalu Surf School & Shop was part of a package deal via an Eco friendly hotel I booked online. One of the inclusions that was a "Must Have" was surfing lessons. I had heard so much about the waves and beaches in Central America, I wanted to try one of the best surf spots. Tip: Bring a rash guard and suntan stick for your face. If you forget Ben's shop has them. The sun is brutal here so bring sun screen!

A friend and I scheduled our first surf lesson with Ben, the owner of the shop. I liked him right away, very friendly and knowledgeable about surfing and all its teed bits. Ben starts the class slow and sees at what level you are at with surfing and your board size/type. After a couple of tries he could see what I was doing with my footing and where I was distributing my weight as to why I kept nose driving when I caught a wave. I was so grateful to know what I was doing wrong and how to correct it. It made the rest of my surfing Costa Rica experience fun not having to think about the board and just surf.

If you're looking for a beautiful location, down to earth friendly locals, and some of the best secret nooks for surfing. Santa Teresa will be for you.

Reviewed May 13, 2012

We just returned from taking our group of kids aged 9-13 on a surf trip to Santa Teresa. The kids spent 4 days with Ben, the owner, and Mauricio his employee. They were both very patient and generous with their time. Ben had all the kids out at a point break on their 3rd lesson. The kids LOVED him and couldn't wait to spend time on and off the waves with him. As parents, we felt our kids were in good hands out in the surf. The kids left Costa Rica extremely competent surfers. We miss Nalu already!