Principe del Pacifico
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Rumbo Surf Lodge(Santa Teresa)
Wave Trotter(Santa Teresa)
Good 3.5/5
Manala Hotel(Santa Teresa)
Milarepa(Santa Teresa)
Very Good 4/5
Very Good 4/5
Funky Monkey Lodge(Santa Teresa)
Great 4.5/5
Surf Vista Villas(Santa Teresa)
Excellent 5/5
Blue Surf Sanctuary(Santa Teresa)
Excellent 5/5
All reviewsfive minute walkgreat tipsplace to staycosta ricachristianparrotscristiantiquiciapoolguestssupermarketboardkitchen
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 19, 2013

I spent a month in Santa Teresa from early November through early December. I found Principe del Pacifico through TripAdvisor and contacted Principe directly to inquire about a rental. Rossella's prompt reply gave me just the right feeling and my intuition was correct that this would be the ideal place for me to stay.

I rented the Red Apartment and it was the best choice for me for my stay. There are six units at Principe and the Red Apartment is on the second floor. The entrance is on the front of the building, but the apartment is on the back side of the building. It's not as exposed to the sun and the road, so it is very quiet and cool and it feels very safe. This unit has a bathroom with shower, a kitchenette (with two stove burners), a bar for eating, a small living room (with cable TV), and a lofted bedroom. There's also a small side balcony which is big enough to step out on, but not big enough for any furniture. I had no problem cooking simple meals at the kitchenette. If I needed anything, like salt or a certain cooking utensil, Rossella and Christian were always happy to provide whatever I needed. I especially loved the lofted bedroom in the Red Apartment. It had a very serene feel and the mattress was very comfortable. I also loved the lofted wooden ceiling and the triangular windows in the bedroom. I would often turn on the air conditioning at night and close the windows. Most mornings, I was greeted by Silvio, a parrot that Rossella and Christian rescued. However, Silvio is "free-range" and he made the rounds around the property in the morning. Silvio speaks several languages and he is delightful! Being alone, I was always so happy to see Silvio on balcony in the morning, waiting for me to come out for a chat.

Going to Santa Teresa, Costa Rica, is not like going to an ocean resort in Hawaii. This is what makes the experience unique and different and wonderful. Things get dusty, there's bugs here and there (but I didn't have any problem with bugs in my apartment), and you can't escape the jungle sounds from all the birds and monkeys. I love those sounds and enjoyed opening my windows in the morning and hearing howler monkeys not too far away. In general, the apartment was very clean, and it's not easy to keep anything clean in the jungle and along the dusty main road. Rossella and Christian work hard to keep Principe clean and updated.

There's a small pool at Principe del Pacifico. It's nice for evening dips, but I preferred to walk across the street (and down a wonderful jungle path!) to swim in the ocean and watch sunsets. Principe is right across the street from a path down to Playa Santa Teresa (near la Lora entrance). The walk takes just a few minutes. If you're not familiar with the beaches in Santa Teresa, they're all stunning. There's miles of sandy beaches and good surfing everyday.

Principe del Pacifico is on the northern end of Santa Teresa. Santa Teresa is very spread out and I have come to prefer the northern end because it's a little quieter and it's close to some fantastic restaurants. Principe is also just a five minute walk to Super Ronny 2, one of the local grocery stores. One of my favorite spots was the Ginger Cafe (just next door) for breakfast or lunch. They have great simple food, amazing croissants, fantastic cappuccinos, and a friendly staff. I would also walk to Olam for lunch. They serve fantastic fresh vegetarian and vegan food.

Principe del Pacifico is a lovely property and in a great spot in Santa Teresa, but what makes it truly special are the owners, Rossella and Christian. I was traveling alone, and they were like my family while I was in Costa Rica. I enjoyed seeing Rossella and their children in the morning when I departed for yoga teacher school (and their children departed for school!). Rossella and Christian were always curious about my day and they were always so helpful when it came to little things, like making a recommendation for dinner. Christian also treated me to his amazing pizza, making me four kinds in one evening. My trip would not have been the same without them, and I look forward to seeing them again on my next visit to Santa Teresa!

Room Tip: Talk to Rossella about what room my be best for your group size and needs. The two upstairs units with large balconies are wonderful for lounging around on or for eating your meals outside.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank Jen S
Reviewed November 18, 2013

Stayed there in Oct. 2013 and was amazing! Everything was perfect and Christian and Roselle were awesome. The place was incredibly clean and quiet just in front of a beach entrance. Plus the place is right in front of the best surf spot of Santa Teresa! Pura Vida!!!!!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 15, 2013

Myself, my wife and our 5 month old baby stayed here for 6 nights in November 2013. The rooms/apartments and property is excellent, spacious, comfortable and far enough from the road to keep the noise out, but close enough to make the walk to the beach an very quick one. The rooms and property are excellent which made relaxing at the hotel a very enjoyable time.

The hotel is very well located, right across the road from a path leading to the best and most consistent surfing in the area (La Lora). It is also close to some great restaraunts, including a great local soda (Tiquicia), Kika restaurant across the road (which you must try at least once!), and a fantastic healthy cafe (juices, smoothies, breakfast, lunch) called Olam a couple of minutes walk away. El Pulpo is nearby which does great pizzas too.

Aside from all the aforementioned points, the thing that made our stay so enjoyable was the warm and friendly hospitality we experienced from Christian and Rosella (and their two lovely children). They went out of their way to accommodate us and made our stay in Santa Teresa even more special, making us feel like we not only had a wonderful stay but also made new friends.

I would highly recommend Principe del Pacifico to anybody staying in Santa Teresa.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 15, 2013

stayed during Ma & April at the greenhouse/room and was a blast.
amazing accommodation, well design with some privacy for the parents.
fully functional kitchen with everything you need and more.
2min from beach (for surfing)
pool got the kids very happy during high tide.
lovely hosts

Room Tip: the greenroom was my fav. affordable with two floors (kids/parents) kitchen have a mixer, was great starting the day with icy fruit shake large balcony over watching the pool
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 3, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights in April and loved it. We were originally suppose to stay somewhere else but because of a leak we were tranferred to Principe and I could not have been happier. There were two couples in our group and we stayed in the large upstairs apartment. It had everything we needed and a blender. The whole place was really well maintained and Christain the owner and his wife Ros were so very helpful. I will say that if you need to get directions ask Christian because he is like a really good GPS.
Christian, not sure if you read these but the drive on the beach and through the rivers was a great adventure and added a memorable piece to our vacation!!!
The grounds were quiet and yes that pool feels even better than it looks. Really had a wonderful time and I would suggest anyone to stay here. One of the nicest places in Santa Teresa!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends