“"Surf Camp" with Benny-OUTSTANDING!!”

Costa Rica Surf & SUP
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: We offer surf lessons, stand up paddle boarding tours, and multi-day clinics in the Santa Teresa area. Our highly-trained staff ensures safety and excitement as you discover the wonders of Costa Rica. Ideal for individuals, friends, and families. Our scenic pueblo of started out as a remote fishing village. It is known for its long beaches, warm Pacific ocean, friendly locals, and relaxed atmosphere. We have been here since 2001. We are proud of our surfing roots and wish to share our passion and the pure vida spirit.
Larchmont, New York
“"Surf Camp" with Benny-OUTSTANDING!!”
Reviewed October 29, 2012

My husband and I surfed with Benny and Al last February with our 3 girls. We had such an amazing experience, I pre-booked FIVE days of surf lessons for just my husband and I when we returned to Costa Rica this summer (just US to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary!)

Benny had Kelsie bring boards over to us before our first lesson in case we had time to get out in the water. She then came to meet with us at our Villa and just hung out with us talking and catching up with us for about a 1/2 hour before setting out to surf. It was such a nice way to relax and ease into a 5 day stretch of hitting the waves hard!

We surfed each day with Benny and though my husband and I are at different skill levels, she would discuss with us each day what our goals were for that day and she would find a way to help us attain them At the end of each session, we would discuss our triumphs and challenges, share lots of laughs and discuss goals for the next day. On the last day, I was not only very adept at my pop-up, but was able to confidently ride some LONG waves all the way in. My husband's goal was to get "outside". On our 5th day of surfing with Benny, she arranged to have Helen take my husband outside...to some pretty big waves! He caught a huge one and rode it! Also, thanks to Benny who arranged for a photographer for us, we have some amazing pictures to share.

We can't recommend Benny (and Al) highly enough (they are fantastic instructors, warma and friendly, patient and fun)! We are actually going back to Costa Rica again in Feb. 2013...and yes, we are all ready pre-booked with Benny for the whole family for several days. As Al says "you guys are surf addicts!" I guess so, and we're proud of it!!

Orlando, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The Absolute Best!!!”
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Went above and beyond to make our trip in Santa Teresa the best! Suped and surfed with Kelsey and had a blast!!! The best hands down!

Visited October 2012
CostaRicaSurfAndSUP, Owner at Costa Rica Surf & SUP, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
We are happy to go above and beyond for you! I'll make sure to tell Kelsey that you had a blast with her. This isn't the last time we'll see you. Your second trip in november's going to be awesome. ...and I look forward to January when you bring your group of adventurous paddle boarders. Thank you for taking the time to write a review! Pura vida, Bennison
New York
“Great people, amazing time!”
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Hi: It was a long time goal of mine to go to Costa Rica and learn how to surf and Benni and her team made that an awesome reality. Kelsey was my teacher she was the best teacher I could ask for! Both Benni and Kelsey are genuine in their support and encouragement in teaching others how to surf and really inspired my desire to keep learning how to surf. My lessons were so much fun and went by insanely fast. Also they're the coolest people in town and really made me feel at home. I highly recommend this company for anyone headed to Santa Teresa. This is the first place I've traveled to that I truly plan on revisiting and that says a lot.

Visited September 2012
Austin, Texas
4 attraction reviews
“Great people and great times!”
Reviewed September 20, 2012

My husband and I had the best time with Costa Rica Surf and SUP! Bennison and I shared some great emails about Santa Teresa and Texas before I even got there which showed her genuine sweetness and, well, basically her awesomeness for a lack of a better word. Once we showed up for our first lesson we realized how genuinely excited Bennison and Kelsey are to teach and show you how to surf. Kelsey was so supportive and kind with my lack of coordination and genuinely excited for my husbands natural ability to surf! We also did an amazing paddle board excursion with them. So relaxing and meditative for me. While in Santa Teresa, Bennison and I shared a birthday and while out (at a place she recommended) she warmly pulled us in to her group of friends and we had a great time! These lovely young ladies are really wonderful people. We liked them so much, my husbands brother went down there the next month to get some lessons from them. Obviously, I highly recommend them. Thanks for everything Bennison and Kelsey!

Visited July 2012
CostaRicaSurfAndSUP, Owner at Costa Rica Surf & SUP, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
My mom says that I should give all Texans extra special treatment, and I am happy to do so. It was so cool that we share a birthday and that you were able to join all of our friends in celebration. All that dancing and laughing was a blast! Thank you so much for sending your brother to learn to surf with us. A referral (or returning to take more lessons, hint hint) is the highest compliment, so gracias amiga! Glad you had fun surfing and paddle boarding. I was stoked that there were so many animal on our river trip. Please come back to our little surf camp in Costa Rica very soon, Bennison
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Total friend experience”
Reviewed September 10, 2012

Benni was totally rad. Me and a couple buddies were in Costa Rica for close to a month and had the single express goal of learning to surf. From day one, Benni was super friendly, respectful, and a really calm and effective teacher. Her place is only a few hundred feet away from a great surf break, and she's got a variety of great boards. She gave us the full friend experience, in fact, through her, we met a lot of the great locals that we're still Facebook friends with. The town, and Benni, made us feel welcome for the extended stay.

Visited July 2012
Thanks so much! I am glad that you three amigos booked lessons with us, and in the end, became our friends. I feel like we were really able to give you a solid introduction to surfing and then take it to another level. Most people would do anything for a month on the beach! I was happy to be a part of your sabbatical, to philosophize in the hammocks for hours, and to really get to know you. Thanks again for the incredible dinner on your last night! I’ll see you on fb, Bennison