“Costa Rica Surf and SUP, amazing!”

Costa Rica Surf & SUP
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: We offer surf lessons, stand up paddle boarding tours, and multi-day clinics in the Santa Teresa area. Our highly-trained staff ensures safety and excitement as you discover the wonders of Costa Rica. Ideal for individuals, friends, and families. Our scenic pueblo of started out as a remote fishing village. It is known for its long beaches, warm Pacific ocean, friendly locals, and relaxed atmosphere. We have been here since 2001. We are proud of our surfing roots and wish to share our passion and the pure vida spirit.
Reviewed April 22, 2012

I recently traveled to Costa Rica alone to learn how to surf and luckily found the amazing Benny and her surf school online. I sent an email to her before my trip to inquire about pricing and availability. Her response was friendly and genuine. It felt like talking to a close friend and she instantly helped remove any doubts I had about traveling solo. She continued to send me little emails till I got to Costa Rica, such as pictures of the baby turtles that she had recently seen hatch on the beach...what a way to instantly fall in love with a place when you see beautiful pictures and got me so excited to get there. My lessons were with Kelsey, a very cool girl and a great instructor, she explains the basics, safety, and puts you at ease. She's with you the whole time in the water, watching, helping and giving pointers. She got me standing up on my first day and for that, I gotta love this girl. They also helped me out with any questions I had about Santa Teresa and recommended great restaurants. If you can envision what you think cool surfer chicks would be, Benny and Kelsey are the epitome of that. Laid-back, beach blonde, down to earth and make you feel totally welcome.Overall, an unreal experience with great lessons and great people.

1  Thank skerr09
cosmicbenny, Owner at Costa Rica Surf & SUP, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2012

I am glad I could help put you at ease about traveling solo. I remember when I wandered thru eight countries, just me & my trusty backpack. When I connected with someone and they helped me along my way, I was so thankful. So now, it's time for me to pass it on to travelers who come thru Santa Teresa! How could you not fall in love with STCR after seeing those baby turtle hatchling pics!? We are glad that you connected with us. Kelsey loved being in the water with you. Ha ha, I will tell her that we are "the epitome of that Laid back, beach blonde, down to earth and make you feel totally welcome." Glad you felt at ease and got to hang with the girls. Please come back to see us again. Benny

There are newer reviews for Costa Rica Surf & SUP

Reviewed April 21, 2012

We contacted Benny for surf lessons, and also asked if she could give us any advice on where to stay in Santa Teresa. We explained our situation, Anders being an advanced surfer and me, totally green with great respect for the ocean and its power, and how important it was that her first surf experience would be fun, unpretentious and safe. We asked for a place to stay with relaxed atmosphere, cool people and nice hammocks. "Hey, why don't you stay at my house?" she replied. This was the start of a fantastic three weeks journey.

With great pedagogical skills, a relaxed but yet super focused approach, and with 'having fun' as a constant aiming point, Benny and Kelsey managed to teach me the art of surfing. I say 'managed' since I've perceived teaching me to surf as a mission impossible until now. When I had a bad day and felt I was only tumbled around adding more bruises to my incredibly sore body, we skipped the board and just went for a swim in the big waves. When I had a good day Benny directly saw the potential and helped me to set up 'minigoals' for that session.

After a week I felt so confident that I could go out to the mid section and catch pretty big green and reforming waves on my own. I was really surfing! Next time I'll be SO ready for the outside :)

Besides being an amazing surf instructor, Benny was the perfect host, taking us to great restaurants, beautiful eco markets, and cool sunset parties. Al took us to a SUP trip on a river in the rainforest, sooo calm and peaceful, a disctinct contrast to the smashing waves :)

Thank you, lovely people, for being so inspiring and colorful, and thank you for teaching me to surf! I think maybe Anders is even more greatful than me for this succesful introduction ;)

Tons of love
//Anna & Anders

1  Thank annawsthlm
cosmicbenny, Owner at Costa Rica Surf & SUP, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2012

I had a great three weeks with you too! Glad we had such a cool crew hanging out while you were at our place. Thanks for the excellent review. Ha ha, I had to google what "pedagogical skills" were. I was pleasantly surprise that it is the "holistic science of education". Also, "to capture expert knowledge of the practice of teaching and learning. The intent is to capture the essence of the practice in a compact form that can be easily communicated to those who need the knowledge. Presenting this information in a coherent and accessible form." Great complement. Thank you.

Reviewed April 17, 2012

My husband and I had a fantastic time taking surf lessons with Costa Rica Surf and SUP. Neither of us had ever surfed before, but we both love the ocean and were eager to try it.
We took lessons with Kelsey, who was awesome! She was very enthusiastic and made sure we understood all of the basics and safety rules before we got into the water. We practiced "pop-ups" first on the beach, then, it was time to get in the water! My husband was a natural and was standing up on the first day. I enjoyed learning how to paddle out and catch waves on my first day. It was so much fun, I asked for a second lesson. I went back a couple of days later and was able to stand up a few times-so exhilarating and a great experience! I absolutely loved it-wish I had more time to take more lessons while I was in Santa Teresa!
Everyone at Surf and SUP-Benny, Kelsey, and Al-are super friendly and welcoming. They were so excited for us to learn how to surf and just wanted us to have fun and enjoy ourselves. I'm so happy we decided to take surf lessons with them and would recommend them to anyone who wants to learn! I'm hoping someday I can return and surf more!

We always say that the best compliment that you can give us is to ask us for a second lesson. Glad you had so much fun! I just got your email saying that you'd be back for New Years. That will be a blast! Beach parties, bonfires, dancing, music, fireworks! Let's have some fun! I look forward to helping you plan your next trip. This time, without the hubby. Girl time!

Reviewed April 16, 2012

If you want to learn to surf, this is the way to do it.
Benni and crew were great in getting our girls trip on boards and surfing. Very professional, but also very fun. Would recommend Costa Rica Surf & SUP to anyone.

CostaRicaSurfAndSUP, Owner at Costa Rica Surf & SUP, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2012

A girl's only vacation is right up my alley! I loved hanging out with y'all and teaching you to surf. If you ever head back this way, I hope that you'll get in touch again. Thank you for the kind review. Benny

Reviewed April 12, 2012

I initially contacted Costa Rica Surf and SUP in search of some general info, but once I received such warm response from Bennison, I knew that I wanted to surf with them. I had attended a different surf camp 6 years prior, and had such an amazing time, I had to return to CR in search of another amazing experience. In my mind, there were big shoes to fill. Once in Santa Teresa, and surfing with Bennison and Kelsey, my expectations were completely surpassed. They are incredible teachers! Their instruction is so thorough, and they have a keen ability to give you just enough information to progress you to the next step, without overwhelming you. Being from Minnesota, I often found the ocean intimidating. Within a few lessons I felt I had the tools to stay safe, and felt very comfortable in the water. By the end of my 20 days in Santa Teresa, I went from being a beginner surfer to catching an riding some impressive waves. I feel the key to their and my success was a gradual and steady progression. It really takes a great instructor to strike that balance, and I know from previous experience, not all instructors are adept at that.
The best part is that Bennison truly cares to find out what it is you want to get out of your surf experience and she does everything in her power to guide you to that end. I did a lot of awesome things in CR, but nothing comes close to my time spent with the crew and friends of CR Surf and SUP! Benny and Al, you have founded a gem in Santa Teresa. Thank you for what will go down in my memory as some of the best weeks ever!

We appreciate the nice review. Thanks for bringing your two awesome friends and taking surf lessons with us. We ended up being quite the girl posse. It was cool that everyone learned at their own pace. The photos on the last day were so rad!!! I think they are still everyone's fb profile pics. I want to tell you that you gave me one of the best complements anyone has ever given me. "The difference in teacher and a mentor is that a mentor is interested in your soul." (Robert A. Johnson) Jeez girl, you trying to make me cry?!?! Only because it's true! I think the world of you and I am stoked that we got to know each other. Keep surfing! You're getting so good and I can't wait for you to come back again so that we can take it to the next level. I cannot tell you how much I appreciated that Thai massage you gave me. Wow! It felt wonderful to be taken care of. May you live a long & happy life, my dear friend. Come back sooner rather than later. Soon, real soon. Benny