“OMG - Flavors that wake your taste buds!”
Review of Pranamar Buddha Eyes - CLOSED

Pranamar Buddha Eyes
Cuisines: Asian, Mediterranean, Costa Rican, Healthy
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Imagine sitting under beautiful high bamboo ceilings and gazing out over a serene lagoon pool while enjoying delicious, lovingly prepared food …welcome to Pranamar’s restaurant. A dining experience of unforgettable quality, Pranamar's restaurant will most likely linger in your mind long after your vacation ends. Our restaurant, with spectacular views and an exotic, relaxed atmosphere, not only serves delicious food, but also is committed to creating dishes that nourish the body and enliven the senses.Taste some of Costa Rica's local fruits and vegetables, explore creative vegetarian cooking or experience fish and seafood bought from local fishermen of the Peninsula. We offer something for every palate and are more than happy to accommodate special dietary needs or lifestyle choices. Pranamar’s restaurant sources the freshest ingredients for our menu with a strong emphasis on using organic and locally produced products whenever possible. Our food is simple yet enticing. Our belief is that nature knows best. Our Costa Rican chef rejoices in using fruits and vegetables as natural as possible, trying to use the least amount of procedures as possible and taking advantage of their natural qualities. The menu coincides with the North Pacific seasons of Costa Rica in order to maintain the highest standard of food and beverages quality throughout the year. Our style combines Pacific Rim cuisine with Asian and native influences. The casual yet refined dining experience derives from our passion for food, combined with high standards of quality and our friendly service. Breakfast, lunch and dinner are served seven days a week and the restaurant is open to the public. Dinner reservations are recommended.
Reviewed June 4, 2012

Every meal we had here was amazing!! The snapper was prepared perfectly and served over brown rice and veggies in a delicious curry sauce. The Huevos Rancheros were my favorite on the breakfast menu. They have different smoothies everyday made with the fresh, local fruit. They had a coconut, banana, and avocado smoothie that was amazing!! Bottom line - you will have missed out if you go to Santa Teresa or Mal Pais and don't dine at Pranamar's Restaurant, Buddha Eyes.

Reviewed May 30, 2012

Loved the food and the outdoor setting.
Healthy choices and nice friendly staff

Reviewed April 29, 2012

I ate almost every vegetarian meal (breakfast, lunch, and dinner) on the menu and loved everything. They are very conscious of dietary restrictions here, so it's no problem to go gluten free, vegan, etc. My favorite dishes were the huevos rancheros, banana pancakes (crispy and divine!), corn gnocchi, lentil burger, veggie quesadilla, and the Prana salad with lentil balls. I also really loved the desserts, with their house specials being key lime and passion fruit pie and vegan chocolate cake! Breakfast is always served with a fresh smoothie, which changes daily. I also loved their specialty smoothies. My favorite was the Chocolate Ganesh, which included banana, chocolate, and espresso! Yum! It always tasted so good after a morning of surfing. The staff is extremely professional and kind and I never had a negative dining experience here.

Reviewed April 17, 2012

Halfway through a weeklong stay, I've been pleasantly surprised with how much good food there is in the Santa Teresa/Mal Pais area, but tonight the Buddah Eyes restaurant at Pranamar exceeded everything so far. I did not expect to find a restaurant of this class so far removed from a big city.

First off, for the other vegetarians who might be reading this: Pranamar is most definitely vegetarian friendly, but half the menu is meat. Groups with mixed diets can all eat happy here.

The menu is short and written on a chalkboard, one of my favorite signs that the chefs love their job and like to mix it up day to day. I ordered the corn gnocchi, which was an awesome twist to the typically potato-based dish. It had a more smoky earthy flavor to it which, combined with the light roasted tomato sauce, gave the Italian dish a more Mexican flavor. Afterwards I finished with the passionfruit key lime pie, which had a perfect balance of the two fruits.

I accompanied that with the passionfruit mojito, which may have been one of the best drinks ever mixed for me. Tart and minty without masking the alcohol too much. They also had one of the better wine selections I've seen on this trip.

It was about $100 for three of us with appetizers, drinks, mains and a dessert. This might be one of the pricier joints in the area, but it's well worth it, and the same meal in my hometown of Boston would easily be $150.

I will say this though: if you are a timid eater or picky about your options, this might not be the place for you. The shorter menu means you have less to choose from, and it strikes me as a place where they play with unusual flavor combinations. However, if you're like me and you love food and the experience of eating it, do not skip Pranamar if you're nearby.

1  Thank ewarner
Reviewed April 17, 2012

This place has a kind of asian flair. The food was very good, but not our favorite place. Spicy means spicy!