“Perfect vacation spot to unwind and reconnect”

Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat
Ranked #13 of 27 Hotels in Santa Teresa
Reviewed December 28, 2013

We had the most amazing family vacation at Pranamar over the Christmas holiday this year. All the glowing reviews are true - I cannot say enough about this wonderful place. Here's the scoop:

1. the grounds are beautiful. It's a relatively small property with about 10 villas/bungalows total. Lush vegetation surrounds everything with quaint paths connecting rooms, restaurant, yoga studio and the beach.

2. the villas are spacious, clean and comfortable. We were in #5 right on the pool and near the restaurant. Bedrooms have plenty of space, decks, fans, a/c, screens, etc. downstairs bath has a large outdoor shower area. the living room has room to spreadout and a mini fridge.

3. the restaurant serves terrific food. breakfast is included and you order off the menu - better than a lot breakfast buffets. they are also very accommodating to special requests. One day we went fishing and brought back several large fish - they converted into ceviche for lunch and grilled fish for dinner with homemade tortilla chips. Divine.

4. the pool has two levels - very pretty, water a good temp and perfect for plunging to cool off - it's not a lap pool.

5. yoga is the BEST. 1 class a day is included, either the 9am or 5pm class. Nancy the instructor is a true yogi, with coaching, guidance, support and lots of love. She also offers private yoga classes - which we did once and was worth the money.

6. beach is perfect. Don't be put off by the rocks immediately in front of their beach - they create beautiful tide pools and 'baths' for cooling off and playing with kids. The real beach for surfing and real swimming is 5 mins away at Playa Hermosa.

7. we took surfing lessons and got massages - both were great.

8. the staff and owners were present and delightful but respected guests's need for privacy.

9. if you drive, the hotel is about 15 mins up the road once you turn onto the beach road in Playa Carman. The road is VERY bumpy in the last 5 mins.

10. in addition to the hotel, we ate at Koji for sushi (amazing and 5 min walk from hotel) and Shalamar at Tropico Latino (also amazing).

There is nothing I would change. Thank you!!!

Room Tip: Villas 3,4,5 and 6 are right on the pool. Villas 1 and 2 are on the beach and larger.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank PiazInCr
pranamar, Owner at Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2013

Dear Happy Happy Guest,
Wow! That was a WOW review and I wish I could send a thank you that really could portray how happy you have made us.
I know I repeat myself all the time , but thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review and thank you for your support and trust in us.
What makes a hotel owner rejoice, is when we have happy guests! Hence, you have made my day!
Happy New Year and please come visit us again!
Warmly

Reviewed December 24, 2013

One of the best places I have ever been. Amazing yoga retreat with excellent service and serene surroundings. Incredible food served with a smile and friendship the entire time. The accommodations were spacious and had stylish decor. Perfect!!

• Stayed: September 2013
pranamar, Owner at Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded December 27, 2013

Dear Happy Happy folks,
Its the day after Christmas and I just read your review. Thank you so much for making the "day after Christmas" so nice for me. What can I say? Nothing makes me happier than a happy guest. May your new Year be filled with loving and kind relationships and may we be blessed to have you return one day!
From my heart,
Thank you!

Reviewed December 21, 2013

I don't know where to start with how wonderful and special this place is. First, the location. Right on the beach, with some of the most fun, gentle surfing waves you can imagine. Walk out of your bungalow, take a few steps, and you are on a miles long beach that you are sharing with maybe, on a weekend, 20 other people, all spread out. You largely have the beach to yourself -- paradise!! The beach in front of Pranamar is a little rocky for swimming, but fine for wading and meditating among the tidepools. And OMG the sunsets over the water. We watched every night and it filled us with wonder. A 5-6 minute walk gets you to a gorgeous beach with great swimming and surfing. Second, the people. Owners were on site when we visited, and the staff were so friendly, that after only a week we came to think of them as friends. My husband celebrated his birthday here, and the staff asked if we wanted to have a special dinner brought to our cottage. With all honesty, we said, no, we want to be with our new friends. I think the staff genuinely like working there and it shows. Third, the yoga. We had three instructors during our week, all excellent. The yoga is a pretty standard vinyasa practice, nothing too too strenuous (I am used to a Baptiste practice, so keep that in mind -- this isn't Hatha), with a few Bikram and ashtanga poses thrown in. There was also a Yin class. Fourth, the accommodations. We stayed 5 days in Bungalow 2 and then 3 days at one of the White House cottages. Both were lovely, but we preferred the Bungalow at Pranamar. Bungalow 2 was great, an amazing outdoor shower and comfy bed, plenty of space and clean. I honestly don't know where the bad reviews about bugs and cleanliness come from (??). I guess I agree with VascoDG -- if you are into super-lux hotel chain type resorts in touristy areas, I guess this isn't for you. Actually, don't come here -- you might mess up the Zen of this place. But if you want a chill, restful vibe, in peaceful, friendly surroundings, Buddha and other yoga inspired furnishings around you, and not a lot of people, this is for you. The White House is a little more posh, with a full kitchen, and more secluded. Pranamar has the feel of a community and the paths are almost like meditation mazes. The pool at Pranamar was built to look like a river (it meanders, has a green bottom, and is surrounded by a lush tropical garden) and we loved swimming and lolling around in it. I actually thought Bungalow 2 was kind of a deal -- we got breakfast and yoga classes for both of us included, and given that the room was a good value. Oh -- and the food at the restaurant is delicious. Which is good, b/c there's not a lot within walking distance here (there's one tapas place 5 mins walk away which is yummy, but cash only!).
The only thing I'd say is I wish there were screens on the windows and doors -- we love fresh air and don't love a/c, but it is probably not a good idea to throw open the windows without screens, because this is the jungle and yes there are bugs here. But in all honesty they didn't bother us at all. We didn't even use our bug repellent that I anxiously brought after reading the reviews (I'm usually the girl covered in mosquito bites after the camping trip). In any event, I wish I could have slept with fresh air, but I was too chicken to do so without screens.
Basically, one of the nicest places we've ever stayed. A pain to get here (if you are from the NorthEast US) but utterly worth it. A great feeling about the place and so restful and gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous. Thank you Pranamar for a great vacation!!

Room Tip: Bungalow 2 was great. Small fridge, open air shower, little sitting area and bedroom. Comfy, feng sh...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 23, 2013

Pranamar Villas was an oasis where you can come to play, rest, relax, and enjoy the beauty of Costa Rica. The grounds were beautiful, the villas were nice and it was great having pool access right of my porch. The food and restaurant staff was amazing. So friendly, helpful, and served the most delicious fresh food! Yoga with Nancy is a must and I don't know that I have ever had a better massage then the one that I got there from Gaia! Great place to stay. Can't wait to visit again.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jennifer E
pranamar, Owner at Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2013

Dear Amazing Place reviewers!!
Wow, what a wonderful and amazing review! Thank you for taking the time to write. Nothing pleases me more than to have a happy guests.
Tomorrow is Thanksgiving; I am filled with Grace because of the wonderful guests and friends that I have the incredible experience of meeting at Pranamar! Really, at age 65, what matters most in life is to be surrounded by loving folks.
Thanks thanks thanks. Hope you have a wonderful holiday!
Namaste

Reviewed November 21, 2013

Bugs, bumpy roads, undeveloped area, no shopping malls and noisy animals. That pretty much sums it up.....for someone who should better stay at home.

If you are a person who prefer to steer clear of mass tourism and like to get off the beaten track, if you think that the regular 5* hotel chains lack personality , if you value eco-thinking, if you like the staff of a hotel to have big hearts & an excellent service level, if you like exquisite cuisine, if you like yoga, long walks on the beach, surfing, horseback riding, trekking, interacting with the locals etc....and oh, if you don't mind if a flock of parrots happen to make a close flyby - then you will probably find Santa Teresa in general and Pranamar in particular to be Heaven on Earth!

I can not recommend Pranamar and the area of Santa Seresa high enough, go and you will create a spectacular memory that will be with you forever (and this comes from someone who has tasted everything from Las Vegas to the Maldives)

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
pranamar, Owner at Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2013

Dear Guests of Heaven on Earth,
Its the Christmas Season and I can not think of a better gift to receive than the gift of your kind and loving words! Thank you so much for sharing your experience with other readers and for taking the time to really write a detailed report.
I have noticed in life, that people always take the time to gossip or report bad news, so it is especially wonderful to have folks like you sit down and report good news.
May you have a wonderful Holiday season and may 2014 find you on our doorstep again.
Much love

Reviewed November 19, 2013

so i stayed there in january of 2012, the grounds were astonishing as were the staff, i ended up renting an entire villa(oops) so it was mostly quiet other than the pool rats (noisy children) my villa was poolside. the yoga was a fe wlevels above my abilities and gave me good cause to try harder to level up, perfect!!! i needed the challenge the room was clean and tidy i couldn't have asked for more, the massage was one of the best I've experienced, the wifi was iffy in most places other than my villa

Room Tip: if you like your sleep don't get a poolside villa
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank sean s
pranamar, Owner at Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2013

Dear Friend
I read your review three times, trying to figure out when you were here. Seems it was january almost one year ago. Im delighted you had such a good time and it was so nice of you to send the review, My two grandchildren live next door to the hotel. Yeek!, I hope it wasnt me playing with them in the pool one day. I'm usually very tuned into any guests that might be around, but I have gotten caught "up in the moment " on occasion!
But sounds like we found you a front villa, and I know that had to have worked well!
Future visitors, do not worry, our pool closes early to kids and we rarely have kids. The ones who do come are usually surfing, doing zip lines, on the beach, just not hanging much in the pool.
Most important thing is you had a good time and I sure thank you for your comments and for your appreciation for Pranamar!
May our paths cross again one day...

Reviewed November 18, 2013 via mobile

We came just at the end of the wet season and the weather was amazing. We got the lovely fortune of being able to book our 8-day stay at the off-peak season price of $305 per night which is DRASTICALLY less expensive than peak season at $620 per night and it still felt like an expensive vacation.

Pros:
Neat, clean and spacious with modern amenities.
Very easy access to beach.
Amazing views and sunsets.
Amazing spa and massage treatment.
Included daily yoga.
Warm water and good waves.
Wonderful villas (ours was beach-facing).
Very friendly staff.
Pretty quiet and secluded.
Loved Suntrails canopy zip-lining in Montezuma.

Cons:
Cannot really walk to much.

SUPER EXPENSIVE TAXI service that the hotel organizes for you and you must use it to go to and from airport as well as to go anywhere or do any excursions. Examples:
$30 round trip to go into Santa Teresa which is a couple miles away.
$60 one way to airport which is 40ish mins away.
$100 round trip to Montezuma which is 30ish mins away (where the good canopy zip-lining is located).

Food and drink is expensive with the 13% tax and 10% service added on the back end of every meal.

Beach directly in front of villas is rocky and you must walk down the beach a ways to swim...something to note but not a big deal.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Garrick S
pranamar, Owner at Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2013

Dear Friends
So glad you liked our villas and found the spa and grounds wonderful! Thank you for all the nice comments.
On the other hand, I'm a little surprised you thought that you couldnt walk much. I walk four hours a day on the beach, I'm training for the El Camino de Santiago de Compostela and if you start at low tide, you can walk at least two hours or more north and then return. So I find the walking spectacular! The beach where we all swim takes about 5 minutes to walk so im sorry you found that not very convenient!
As for the expense of the taxis, I am sorry, they are not cheap. But I must let the reader know, we do not own any taxi service, we use all the local guys and yes, their fees are high. I agree! But, do you remember the condition of the roads? They are dreadful on cars, dreadful and even after living here 26 years, I am staggered at the amount of money we all have to pour into our cars to keep them running. I suspect that is why the taxis cost so much. But I would like all readers to know that these prices are set by all the drivers and we do not own the cars or the service. Also cars in Costa Rica are heavily taxed so cars and parts here are around 70% more expensive than they are in the U.S.
The taxes in the restaurant are mandatory taxes and again, are set by the government and out of our control. But we make every effort to serve you good size portions, fresh organic produce, fish only caught that morning and using only local foods. I am glad you liked the quality of the meals and the food, but again, the taxes are not revenues we create nor particularly enjoy!

Thank you for sharing your vacation with us and your thoughts. Sounds like you had a good time and I'm delighted to hear from you!
Many thanks