WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #12 of 26 Hotels in Santa Teresa
Lisbon, Portugal
“Amazing experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2012

Best hotel during our costa rica trip.
The bungalows were amazing. Right by the beach, spacious, comfortable and well decorated. The details made you feel like everything about it was thought over.
The restaurant was spectacular - priced reasonably and delicious.
The yoga pavilion was really pretty. The spaces between the villas and bungalows had a million different flowers.
You can grab a surf board and walk out the back gate to the beach, awesome location.
If you go to Santa Teresa you should definitely stay there. (see price tip below).

Room Tip: the villas right by the pool might be too exposed. We asked for a reduced rainy season price, and t...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
newalbum, co-owner/yoga director at Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
Hola friends,

Thanks for taking the time to write this review. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us at Pranamar. Your happiness makes us smile and keep working hard to bring our guests the best vacation ever. Hope you'll come back soon!
Pura Vida,
Nancy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2012

I stayed at Pranamar Villas via the Vajra Sol Yoga Retreat, and felt the Villas deserved their own review. To keep it short:

Location: As close as possible to the beach, walking distance from surfing, tide pools, and monkeys. Some of the best sunsets you can see. Not exactly the easiest place to get to, however it is worth it once you are there.

Amenities: yes. Just kidding. They have everything a hotel normally has as far as I know. PLUS they have surf boards for rent, a yoga studio, and the people at the front desk are all really great at organizing whatever it is you want to do (surf lesson, stand up paddle lesson, ATV, hiking, zip lining, etc).

Restaurant: The food is fantastic, but let's talk about the smoothies! If you go, definitely drink lots of smoothies because they are perfect. After a week, I know at least half of the restaurant staff by name and visa versa. There were a lot of extreme food restrictions amongst our group and it only took a day or two before they would automatically make sure we were all getting what we needed (vegan gluten free soy allergy? no problem). Normally I am not much of a barfly, but I actually spent a lot of time hanging out at the bar chatting with whomever was around. Every single person was warm and friendly.

Random Extra Awesome Thing: I did not need to carry cash or an ID with me all week. They remained in the safe (yes, safety deposit box provided) unless I left the Villas. Everything gets charged to your room including taxis and you get an itemized bill at the end of the week. This was pretty awesome.

Final Comment: I arrived on a solo vacation, and left with a lot of friends. Not only those who were part of the Vajra Sol retreat, but the hotel staff, surf instructors, honeymooners, etc. that I met along the way. I really think that the type of person who finds a surf/yoga vacation appealing will find themselves surrounded by like minded people.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great, I think it depends more on which size you want to choose.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Mandee A
newalbum, yoga director/co-owner at Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat, responded to this review, August 9, 2012
Dear friends,
We are thrilled that you enjoyed your Vajra sol Adventure week with us at Pranamar. Not much could be better then surfing, yoga, beautiful beaches, great people and an awesome hotel. We love Vajra Sol and are so honored to be working with them. Thanks for sharing your wonderful experience with others on Trip Advisor. We really enjoy hearing that our hard work, dedication to excellence and happy mind-set is appreciated by our wonderful guests. We hope to see you soon for another unforgettable week at Pranamar.
Gracias,
Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2012

Pranamar is beautiful and the food delicious. For me, it is the quality of the yoga teacher there that sets this resort apart. Nancy, the resident yoga teacher, is by far the best teacher I have studied with this year. Her classes are uplifting, exciting, and carefully structured to create a joyful experience. I have been to Kripalu, Omega, and have studied with many teachers from Washington, D.C. to Berlin. Her classes are my number one favorites.

Room Tip: The rooms around the pool tend to be noisy. I had an upstairs room with a private porch and great v...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank SallyPuddin
newalbum, yoga teacher/co-owner at Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
Dear friend,

I am so glad you enjoyed your time and Pranamar. Your review was so complimentary to my teaching and I thank you for expressing your feelings. Yoga has been my life path for so many years and has taken me through great hardships and challenges, but also enhanced the joys and wonders of this amazing Life. To that I have touched my students heart in someway brings me great joy! I hope you will come back and stay with us again. I will be offering various retreats and workshops throughout the year, and of course, I'm always here at Pranamar teaching daily yoga classes.
Many blessings on your path,
Nancy Goodfellow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2012

I needed some much needed downtime and chance to breathe, and this was definitely the place to come. The staff are amazing, the food was delicious and special/unique, and the yoga space was gorgeous. It is clear that the employees enjoy their work and providing the best for the guests.

Room Tip: I gave two stars for the spa because while they sort of have a spa, it is nothing special. I did no...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank blueosa
pranamar, Owner at Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat, responded to this review, July 19, 2012
Dear Guest
This is Susan Money, the owner. I was in California awaiting the arrival of my latest grandchild....so I'm sorry to say I didnt get to meet you, but I want to personally thank you for taking the time to write and for all your honest comments. I have to say, what warms my heart the most is that my staff made you feel good and that they were there when you needed them. This Pranamar Family is truly what makes my hotel really special. I couldn't do it without any of them! So I know we are on track when i hear reports like yours from responsible guests!
And Im also thrilled that you were happy with the food. We have a small menu but it is by intention....it is really the only way to provide healthy,fresh food when you have a small hotel. Thanks for the kind words about that!
As for our spa, you are right, it is just a simple palapa at the moment....but we are waiting on permits to do something a little more complete. However, it will still be simple and very organic as I don't really have room for a big structure and because most of our guests prefer to be down by the water and be lulled to the tune of the waves as they are having their treatments. But yes, it is definitely a rustic little spot.
Hope I can meet you next time you come to Costa Rica!
Many thanks'
Susan Money, Owner
washington dc
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2012

My friend and I just returned from 5 days at Pranamar. Bottom line: fabulous for being as active as you want to be or as peaceful as you want to be combined with impeccable service at a reasonable price! Nancy's yoga classes are physically and spiritually rejuevenating. The meals starting with the breakfast fruit smoothie are healthy and delicious. Nothing is impossible for the front desk to do quickly and with taste. A bungalow or villa on the beach is worth it for the peaceful sounds of the Pacific ocean. Sophie, Lola and Sebastian gave wonderful massages. We will be back with more friends!

Room Tip: choose a bungalow or villa on the beach for the wonderful sounds of the ocean and sunset views!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank jgsmouse
Gracias amigas,
We are so happy that you guys enjoyed your time with us at Pranamar. One of the greatest things about this place is that we have so many choices for how to spend our time: relaxing in a hammack or on the beach under the sunshine, or filling your day with adventure and activities like yoga and surfing and canopy tours. Thanks for sharing how much you loved your vacations with us! We love to hear that our guests are happy and eager to return. Hope to see you again soon!
Warmly,
Dana Point, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2012

This was our second trip to Pranamar, and it was a significant one. Last year I asked my lovely Natalie to marry me while staying at Pranamar, and we could not think of a more perfect setting for our actual wedding than to return to our magical home away from home in Costa Rica one year later. Let me start off with validating the countless other people who have reviewed this property by saying that the staff are more than "well trained employees at a resort"....they are a loving family that embrace their guests as old friends coming home for a visit. Every single member of the Pranamar team goes above and beyond to please your every request, and they do so with a gracious and natural charm that makes the entire experience effortless. From the amazing restaurant staff and incredible food, to the front desk crew and all the other great people that create this magicial place known as Pranamar - I sincerely want to thank Susan, Greg, Nancy, LaRisa, Kenneth, Mario, Dago, Marco, Johennes, Rodrigo, Alvaro, and all the other incredible staff that made our wedding and vacation the most magical experience we could have ever dreamed of....

With Love, THANK YOU from the bottom of our hearts!!!

We think of you often...

The Madden's
(Sean & Natalie)

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank thesearch23
Dear Maddens
We miss you guys so much and we love you guys so much....and guess what? Now you will have to celebrate every anniversary with us at Pranamar.
Seriously, thank you for all the trust you have shown us and for allowing us to create your most special day....your wedding! I don't have to tell you how much I love my job.....but it is really wonderful to hear that you felt totally loved and supported by the Pranamar Family. And it's no secret that Pranamar works so well because of the entire staff. I could never do this without each and every person.
Thanks for your love and your kind words....and may you have the most glorious life...
so much love
Susan Money
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2012

We've been to several other places in Santa Teresa and across Costa Rica, but Pranamar ranks at the very top in terms of overall quality, enjoyment, and satisfaction. The rooms give you a truly comfortable setting with the right amount of solitude and privacy to make for a perfect romantic getaway. The location provides you easy access to the beach and nighttime views of the stars unlike anywhere we've ever been - the Milky Way was bright and seemed so close we could fetch a star from the sky! Unlike other places, Pranamar has all the amenities you'd want - a nice restaurant with first rate menu and cooks (awesome desserts especially the passion fruit key lime pie), a great pool to lounge in and even wifi should you feel the urge to check email. The staff was also very friendly and accommodating - particularly the owners who went above and beyond in making our trip great and sharing insight into Costa Rica. Finally, when you think it couldn't get better, the massage service (on the beachfront in a private hut) provided very skilled masseuses at a more than fair price. My wife and I kept thinking what wold make Pranamar better, and we couldn't come up with anything...it's already perfect. Book it if you can! Anna & Jeff from Wash DC.

Room Tip: Beachfront villa #1 or #2 is the best if you can get it
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
, co-owner/yoga director at Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat, responded to this review, July 5, 2012
Dear Anna and Jeff,

Thanks so much for your kind words and great review. We are so glad that you both had a wonderful time on your vacation and we really enjoyed having you stay with us. We look forward to seeing you guys again. Let us know when you are arriving and we will have a fresh passion fruit-lime pie waiting for you!!
Be well,