“Great Place to Stay”

Ranked #23 of 26 Hotels in Santa Teresa
Chicago, Illinois
“Great Place to Stay”
Reviewed February 26, 2013

I have stayed at Rumbo three times in the past 18 months, and am returning in a couple of weeks. The owner is great, and is always more than willing give his reccomendation on restaurants, bars, places to surf, etc. The cabinas have everything you need, and are kept very clean. The location is great, as you are less than a .25 mile walk (400 meters) from La Lora beach, and within walking distance of several restaurants, bars, and grocery stores.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank jason s

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Rome, Italy
Reviewed February 15, 2013

It's my second time at Rumbo Surf, this time I got the Regular Surf Camp package and I'm very happy with the results.
Nico is great and helped me a lot improving my surfing.
The apartments are very confortable and next to the surf spot.
I recommend it and hope to go back for the third as soon as possible!

Room Tip: The apartments are quite the same.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank riky f
Reviewed July 25, 2012

My friend Jason has been going here for the last five years and I had the privileged to go down with him and learn to surf. I can say I had a time of my life. Niko and Mar the owners are amazing and I can truely say I made new friends. This is a place to stay and surf!

Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
San Jose, Costa Rica
Reviewed June 20, 2012

Clean and friendly. Nico, the owner/manager, was helpful, solving the few problems we came across in our three day stay. The rooms are basic but had everything we needed. Ask about the status of the construction project behind the house. For the price, I'd recommend it.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank ThunderRolls2
Laguna Beach, CA
Reviewed April 23, 2012

We stayed at Rumbo Surf Lodge for a week in Feb, 2012. We couldn't of asked for more. It was PERFECT! Nico and his family were so accommodating and helpful with anything we needed. They are great people that we will hopefully cross paths with again. The apartment has a great location, furnished great and comfortable. I would Highly recommend it !

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Katrinamarie824
Limhamn
Reviewed February 14, 2012

We stayed at Rumbo Surf Lodge for 10 days in January-February 2012. Two families with, in between us, 5 kids aged 1-6 yrs, and we had the whole house (2 apartement, one on each floor). The apartments are great, clean, comfortable, with A/C, big balcony/porch plus a little garden. Just outside the main township of Santa Teresa, nice and quiet despite the night clud just across the street. A great surfing spot 100 yards away. 5 minutes to a decent grocery store, a surf rental place and a nice restaurant just across the street. The owners are really nice and knowledgable about surf spots, other activities etc. We stayed with our 2 preschoolers + a baby in the apt and it didn't feel crowded, largely thanks to the fact that the large porch could be used for meals etc. The price is ok given the ridiculous pricing in Santa Teresa. The apts come with bed linen and towels and are cleaned every second day. Perfect place to enjoy Costa Rica. Pura Vida!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Lugano, Switzerland
Reviewed December 27, 2011

Spent one month here with my girlfriend from the 22nd of November to the 22nd of December 2011. The air-conditioned apartment is beautiful and really comfy, ours had one large comfortable double bed and a sleeper couch. The apartment is really comfortable for two people, would probably be a little tight for four people, but still feasible. The kitchen is well equipped and clean. The location is perfect, it is a very short walk to the beach and one of the best surf breaks in the area (La Lora). Two grocery stores are a short walk away (5 minutes tops) and there is a good restaurant called Kika across the road. There is also a surf shop called Denga right opposite the apartment. I would say that the apartment is suitable for surfers, families, couples or friends. The pricing of the accommodation is fair if compared with some of the ridiculously high prices at other accommodation in Santa Teresa or Mal Pais. Santa Teresa is very relaxing, very laid back. There is a club across the road from the apartment, however it never bothered me (and I am a light sleeper). The surf in November-December was really good, about chest to head high most days, suited to beginners and experts.

The owners Nico and Mar live on the premises and are great people that made me feel very welcome. They will go out of their way to make you feel at home, without invading on your privacy. Sujei did a fantastic job cleaning our apartment every second day. Towels are provided.
You might want to consider renting a jeep from Alamo upon arrival for a couple of days at least in order to explore the surrounding area... (Montezuma waterfalls are great) but if you just want to chill on the beach or surf there is no need for it (however note that the taxi ride from Tambor airport to rumbo is 40-50USD, I don't know how much the bus from San José to Malpais costs).

Great place to enjoy the Pura Vida!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple