My boyfriend and I stayed at this place about a year ago... it's now that time of year again and as we search for a new destination I find myself searching for places like Nautilus.
Lets start with our arrival/first impression... we were late. It was raining and Arik (owner/manager) came to greet us in the rain and help us get our luggage inside; he had been waiting. We were exhausted from traveling and upon small talk told Arik all we want is some coca-cola and a bed. He went out (what we later realized) for a good 7 min walk down the street to the local store. He purchased us a 2L of coke and some water since the kitchen was passed closed - upon giving it to us refused our money to pay for it. Good start.
Adi, his wife, is equally helpful and accommodating. She has a tranquil, soft spoken way about her that makes you feel like you've taken a xanax during every conversation. She was able to help us with our day trips and has the local tools to help you plan-- we did not have to get on the phone once--she gave us ideas, we told her which ones we liked, and she made it happen.
Some activities included:
- SURFING!What this town is all about. We got surfing lessons from a top israeli surfer who moved across the world to make a life in santa teresa after falling in love with the waves. He was fantastic! $40 lesson and $5 to rent a board after that for everyday you wish. We were pros by the end of the week.
- ATV rental -- Adi hooked us up with one of the only companys that will come to YOU to rent the 4wheeler, well-priced and honest. From there we were able to
-hike a nearby national park to see families of monkeys, birds, butterflies etc
-visit the waterfalls at montezuma
-explore the little villiages and shops nearby at our own will
The roads are small, and rocky, and scary. BUT take a camera and just drive and you wont regret it! hilltops with wild sheep, local animal rescue centers, gorgeous bodies of water.. etc
There are plenty of little restaurants nearby but there are some places that are a bit nicer that are further than walking distance.. Adi and Arik were able to set us up with a cab for these places and were also able to suggest their favorites. Bit more pricey--but delicious. GO to the sushi place!!
We didn't utilize the restaurant much since my boyfriend is an avid meat eater.. but we did enjoy their smoothies in the AM to get us started-- which were delicious! Having a kitchen was a huge money saver--the local store has plenty of groceries that allowed us to make our own lunches everyday etc. They also have alcohol ;)
The pool was a great place hang out if you're feeling lazy and don't want to take the 5-10min walk to the beach... and yes, we got that lazy sometimes
-Traveling to get here is tough... we flew in, took a long van ride to get to a ferry, took a ferry, took another van to get to Nautilus. It is an alllll day afar.
-Yes, there are spiders, and insects and lizards... and sometimes they get into your little house. You also can't put paper products into your toilet. Welcome to Costa Rica.
-The town is somewhat quiet...but this was also a positive. We are a young couple and could have enjoyed a little more "night life" if offered-- but the relaxing stay ended up being what we needed.
Our only little 'negative' experience came at the end...be aware of the check-out time regardless of your flight/travel plans (I believe it is 12p). This seems like a "der" but for us we ended up being somewhat rushed, though Arik and Adi were kind and accommodating to us and let us hang out in the common area/restaurant as long as needed, I felt slightly uncomfortable.
All in all, STAY HERE!! Whether you use your wonderful owner's resources and go out exploring.. or just sit and enjoy Nautilus' hospitality while being a short walk from the beach.. I'm sure you will enjoy the "Pura Vida" lifestyle as much as we did!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Nautilus Boutique Hotel - Wellness Retreat Yoga Deck - Healthy restaurant - Surf & yoga Retreats. Our villas capture the exotic character of Costa Rica, surrounded by lush tropical jungle, seamlessly blends into beautiful open-air terraces. Fully equipped kitchen. Large bedrooms, spoiling showers. Flat screen with Cable TV. King size mattress. 100% organic bath amenities. Daily housekeeping service. Refrigerator. Personal safe. Air conditioning. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Odigeo, Travelocity and Orbitz so you can book your Nautilus Boutique Hotel - Wellness Retreats reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Nautilus Boutique Hotel - Wellness Retreats Costa Rica/Santa Teresa