“Best place to stay in S.T.”

Don Jon's Lodge and Restaurante
Bermuda
“Best place to stay in S.T.”
Reviewed August 17, 2014

Was there for a week at the beginning of August. Great location, staff and vibe. Great place if you are traveling solo or with a group. Jon is a super chill guy and will give you any info you need about the area and what to do if the surf is mug.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 14, 2014

I love Don Jon's! Great people, right across the street from beach access with great surf, and right next to a really cool art gallery/restaurant. We had three of us in a private room and it was heaven - a treehouse with our own balcony, waking up to the sounds of monkeys in the forest. Careful, this place will suck you in!

Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed July 28, 2014

As soon as we arrived we wanted to stay longer. Santa Teresa is an amazing town and this is a really cool hostel. The only issue we had was there was a urine odor from the cat, but we talked to the cleaning lady and got it sorted out. Despite the pee, I would stay there again.

Escazu, Costa Rica
Reviewed July 25, 2014

My friend and I arrived in Santa Teresa, and asked a walker by that happened to be the owner of Don Jon. I had previously been there, I knew the area; this time I wanted something simple - nothing fancy.

We were so lucky with the place. They showed us a cute little wooden hut, very clean, 3 beds, WC, fan and refrigerator. We were so happy for the deal (45USD per night), 3 minute walk to the beach, very well located, next to a typical rico food soda, and great spot to get a nice sleep.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed June 4, 2014

Let's start by saying I haven't been to0 active on Trip Advisor for as much traveling as I do...but this experience was worth reviewing as it was one of the most fun solo traveling trips I've been on! I went to CR on a whim and went to Santa Teresa on a recommendation of a girl who lives there (I am new to surfing and they said it was a great beach to learn). I was initially supposed to stay for 2 nights, but then after having the best time not only with all the amazing travelers I met at Don Jon's but at the beach in ST as well I decided to stay a few more (I even left to meet some friends and came back to spend my final night in CR at Don Jon's). Everyone was so friendly we would wake up and grab breakfast or go to the beach with whoever was around in the hammocks, we would play soccer, surf and chill together as well with other local hostels. I couldn't have imagined a more fun trip or hostel experience and I have made friends and memories that I will have for life (it sounds cheesy but really- it was that fun!) I would recommend this place to anyone looking for a cool, quiet beach town in Costa Rica as well as a place that even the locals come to hang out because everyone at DJ's is so chill and relaxed!

Great place for solo, couples, big groups- we had every kind of group there and we all got along great! Played music at night, went to the dance club, lunches, swimming pools- you name it and you could meet someone who would be happy to join! Also super reasonable priced!

Already trying to plan how I can get back to both DJ's and Santa Teresa ASAP! Also, Jon, the owner is a super cool and relaxed guy- He is happy just seeing how happy all his guests are! Thanks man!!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank SammoClift
Shediac, Canada
Reviewed June 4, 2014

Santa Teresa is a amazing little surf town and we stayed at Don Jon's for a week! We ended up staying in the "Jungle houses" as I called it. It was a super cool room with a lot of space, a mini fridge, our own bathroom and a hammock on our deck. A cleaning lady came everyday so our room was always clean. There are hammocks everywhere (which is awsum). They have a kitchen but they also have a restaurant that serves very good breakfast. They used to have a yoga teacher but she left a week before we arrived, but Don told me that I was more than welcome to still do some yoga on my own in the yoga area. I did yoga every morning there. The hostel is at a great location.. only a 5 minute walk to the beach. The beach is amazing and very good for surfing. There is a Soda called Soda Pura Vida that is located super close to the hostel that is really good food for a really good price (we went there at least once a day). Don is the most chilled person I have ever met. He is very helpful. The atmosphere at the hostel was amazing and very relaxed. I would recommend this hostel to anyone!

1 Thank Dominique B
Baltimore, Maryland, United States
Reviewed May 30, 2014

We stayed in a room which was very inexpensive. There were three beds - one of which was a hanging loft / bunk bed - plenty of room for the family. There were lots of young surfers there but everyone was very polite and relaxed. The breakfast was amazing and reasonably priced. They have off street parking. The hotel management was very helpful - they even jump started my rental car when the battery died. It is a short walk to the beach. Surf lessons and yoga are easily arranged ... plenty of hamocks ... monkeys, birds, and iguanas. I traveled alone - single mom with daughters aged 14 and 6. We felt very safe and had a wonderful time. Really cannot beat the price. Only downside was the shower was cold. That may have been a temporary problem.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family