Not being able to find our original destination we wandered into Don Jon’s no really knowing what to expect. The tranquillo man at the desk was very friendly an offered to show us a room, this is Jon, he is relaxed! We walked through the compound, past the shared outdoor, well stocked kitchen, outdoor showers (to knock the sand off), and back to the three, three story teak huts. Each room has a hammock right in front, on the deck. We were on the second floor (the third floor is a deck, decked out with hammocks. Great place to watch the nightly lighting storms) Each room had its own bathroom: toilet, sink, mirror and cold shower. Do not let the cold shower scare you, there is no need for hot water as it is so humid it feels great to just cool down a bit. The beds are WAY above average! In fact I would say it was the best bed I slept on while in Costa Rica. The ceiling fan above the bed is a nice touch. The roosters crowing at 2am, 3am, 4am...no so much...but I got used to them by the end.
Jon gave us tips on where to go to rent surfboards, where to surf, food, drinks, reggae night. Don Jon’s has a great restaurant too: free coffee, breakfast always with fresh fruit, post surf burrito lunch. We stayed at Don Jon’s restaurant patio most nights; drinking (Imperial for me, GREAT fruit smoothies for my Fiance), talking with travelers, playing cards and just chilling. Don Jon’s is centrally located and near the market, bakery and other restaurants.
Surfing the beach breaks of Santa Teresa was gnarly! Ended up surfing a little left point to the south of Don Jon’s till the skin came off my ribs. It was a bast!
Don Jon’s slogan is “relax to the max” and they mean it! Way cool place and I’d stay there again, whether it was with my pregnant fiance or a group of guys on a surf trip. Many thanx to Jon and his girl, Alejandro, “the cook”, the various travelers we met for making the end of our trip so memorable!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Don Jon*s has a variety of accomodations, great restaurante, and is conviniently located. Dorm rooms for backpackers, modern apartments with AC for groups, and rustic cabins with private rooms all made from teak wood and very one of a kind. A restaurante serving the freshest fish tacos, burritos, sandwiches and salads all ways, always. Only 100 meters walk to Santa Teresa beach with consistent surf year round and in the center of the village near markets, reataurantes, and soccer plaza. A family run establishment where the service is personalized and with gusto. See you soon! Pura Vida! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with HostelWorld so you can book your Don Jon's Lodge and Restaurante reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Don Jon`s Hostel And Restaurante Hotel Santa Teresa
- Don Jon's Lodge And Restaurante Costa Rica/Santa Teresa