“Better food than what you find in town, but that isn't saying a great deal.”
Review of Brisas del Mar

Brisas del Mar
Ranked #18 of 91 Restaurants in Santa Teresa
Cuisines: International
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Our restaurant Brisas del Mar is rated as one of the finest restaurants of all Santa Teresa and Mal Pais. Cosy and friendly atmosphere await for you with amazing international dishes that can only be outraged by the incredible ocean view... Open to the general public with ever-changing menu using the freshest local ingredients. The best Cockteleria withe the best ocean view under a sky full of stars... we welcome Large groups, Romance, Local cuisine, Special occasions!! Open for Breakfast/ Dinner, Reservation.
Reviewed April 14, 2014

Apathetic greeting at door by apathetic hippie staff. One price for 'locals' (non Costa Rican locals) and one price for North American tourists. A small mojito with one bar measure shot will set you back $8 in a third world country. The same mojito would be $8 at a high end restaurant with perfect service and copious liquor in NYC. A 'picture' would go for $12 which would be circa two shots. The view is lovely. The climb up for the view is steeped in mud and slop, but well worth it. I kept a watchful eye on the alcohol consumption as I'm a lightweight with an ACL replacement and I can say the drinks were not copiously mixed. Again, can say the profit margin must be very high. I actually asked for mine to be made stronger, however I was told that import duty was an issue. My retort was Costa Rica was a producer of local Rum, why weren't you using that? I wouldn't have minded, just found the staff onerous and relatively patronising. Main courses were okay,not great. Very simple cooking, but there's a distinct lack of availability there, so I won't fault them for that. All and all, if I were staying there, is probably even go back again, but I'd probably be annoyed. Decent cuisine is slim pickings in Santa Teresa, but Santa Teresa isn't really for me. Unfortunately, it's a lovely area of Costa Rica that's been over run buy pseudo North American hippies that are insistent on bleeding every last cent out of tourists trying to enjoy the lovely natural atmosphere.

Reviewed April 7, 2014

I think the people that run this restaurant, and the "hippie" servers, have become too confident that the clientele numbers are consistently high. The service is not always great, and the expectation that you tip on top of the service charge is a bit insulting, considering.

The first time I went here, I had a reservation, but stood around for almost 10 minutes before anyone even acknowledged me. (And, yes, I did try and get the attention two of the servers and the bartender.) As a solo-diner, I didn't like being placed out in the open for all to see, but before I could ask to be moved, my server was gone. I did not let this bother me for long, and assumed it was simply one of those chaotic nights.

The second time I went here, the service was a bit better, but additional tips seemed to be expected. (The server asked if I actually required change, which I thought was a bit brash.) I felt pressured to increase my tip amount.

However, the quality of food is excellent and the portion sizes are big. I cannot fault those facts.

Reviewed April 5, 2014

The service is probably the best in town, the food is exceptional (menu changes a lot so it varies from good to amazing), the drinks are great, and the view is worth the price of airfare (seriously, make sure you're there for sunset).

Vegetarians should go for the drinks and the views as their veggie options are distant afterthoughts.

Reviewed March 21, 2014

Great view and amazing food! Staff was friendly and accommodating. Small restaurant, so good to make a reservation.

Reviewed March 21, 2014

Honestly, I was really excited to try to this place. I had heard so many good things.

In terms of location, it's up a hill and the restaurant is so pretty. You literally have a wonderful view of the sunset and the water. The view is why people come to Brisas del Mar and it's breathtaking. I enjoyed this part of the restaurant so much.

In terms of food, not so much. So for drinks, we got a pitcher of coco loco. This was horrible. There was hardly any alcohol in the drinks, it was mostly watermelon juice. I had a bottle of rum in my bag and I spiked our own drinks to make them taste better. And even then, I was forcing myself to finish the drink because it really wasn't made well at all.

The food itself was good. We got calamari as an appetizer and the blackened sea bass which tasted amazing. I def. recommend the sea bass.

For dessert, we got the brownie and the chocolate moouse. We had heard the brownie at Brisas del Mar is to die for. WRONG. It was dry and disgusting. Waste of money. The waiter had said chocolate moouse is the chef's specialty. WRONG. The moouse had GINGER in it. I am sorry but chocolate and ginger do not go well together and the waiter didn't even tell me there was ginger in the moouse. It was gross.

In terms of service, there was only one waiter doing all the work. That was kind of annoying since we had to sit around and wait forever.

Overall, the food itself was good and the view is what makes this restaurant get business. Desserts and Drinks are horrible. Def don't recommend the dessert or drinks. My girlfriends and I literally went to the Bakery, which is near Brisas Del Mar on the main road, and got desserts from there. They were cheaper and tasted amazing.