We had such an amazing time at El Rey Patricio. The hotel is a little outside of town, which is the way a like it! It gives you a feeling of seclusion and a more genuine, personable, and unique experience. The beach is about 50 feet from the hotel which was nice for a nighttime stargazing session on the beach. We had one of the romantic rooms which was perfect. It was a little small, but had an open air concept with an entire wall that could open up with folding doors to a little deck with a shower, hammock, and ocean views. Everyday we ate a complimentary breakfast that was provided for us and Vanessa and Ramon were eager to answer my many questions on what to do in the area and even reserved a tour for us to Isla Tortuga. The hotel was clean, the service was perfect and personable, and every one of our needs was accommodated. The hotel is very small, and the staff consists of four people so by the end of our trip we felt like we were part of the family.
Besides that, in descending order here are my Top 3 favorite aspects of Hotel Rey Patricio
3) Playa Hermosa - The Hotel is located right next to Playa Hermosa, which is in my opinion the best beach in Mal Pais. It's big, the waves are the perfect size, the sand is soft, and because its not in the center of Santa Teresa it's not that crowded. The beach is so big that even if it was crowded it wouldn't feel like it. And best of all it is aptly named . . .It is Hermosa! Do yourself a favor and spend most of your beach time at Hermosa instead of the other beaches. Maybe break your day up with lunch at Roca Mar or a sunset viewing at Banana Beach which are both more centrally located. Also the famous playa hermosa tide pools are right in front of the hotel. Vanessa and Ramon are happy to lend you a snorkeling mask to explore this vast array of tide pools.
2) Tapas Restaurant - The food at El Rey Patricio is amazing. Ramon is one of the owners and the chef. He has no kitchen staff and does it all alone and the product is gourmet yet affordable! We ate here 2 out of our 3 nights and I honestly wish we could have had another night there just to sample some more of the menu. The croquettes were better than any I had while in Spain, the chorizo amazing, and the Sangria perfect among many others. Without a doubt the BEST food we ate in Costa Rica.
1) Vanessa y Ramon - Any experience is so much better when you feel a personal connection with the people involved with it. It didn't seem like Vanessa and Ramon put any effort into accommodating all of our needs, getting to know us, and making our trip an amazing experience because that is just them being themselves. Everything about them and the experience they curate is 100% genuine and natural. They are also downright inspiring. Do yourself a favor and ask them how they made it from Spain to Santa Teresa and it will inspire you want to drop everything, runaway with your love, and live your life happy, healthy and surrounded by beauty.
Do yourself a favor and stay at El Rey Patricio
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline and Booking.com so you can book your El Rey Patricio reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- El Rey Patricio Costa Rica/Santa Teresa