WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of El Rey Patricio

El Rey Patricio
Ranked #7 of 32 Santa Teresa B&B and Inns
Fort Lauderdale, Florida, United States
“Amazing Spot Amazing View”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

I stayed at El Rey Patricio with a friend at the end of Feb the place was amazing. The Owners Lee and Jane were so welcoming and the rooms were comfortable and very clean. Lee is a wonderful cook that makes a mean breakfast before you head out for your day of surfing. And Jane was always around if you needed anything and willing to help with a huge smile. If you are close to Santa Teresa this is the place to stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

I stayed at El Rey Patricio for four nights in early January this year. I stayed in a beach bungalow that was simple, yet very comfortable and good value for the price. Jane and Lee are great hosts, they go out of your way to make you feel welcome and it truly did feel like I was staying at a friend's beach house. It's in a beautiful secluded part of Santa Teresa and they have a restaurant & bar on site which is also great. This was a lovely part of my trip and I'd happily recommend this place.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Kate M
Fort McMurray, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed at El Rey after wandering the coastline looking for places to stay. In an area of high prices, El Rey pulled through instantly... it was a fantastic place to stay and Lee and Jane will be the main reasons we come back again! Our room was neat and had a view of the ocean from our hammock. The food was incredible, and the company was even better.

Lee & Jane, thanks again for making our stay a great memory... From the Canadians who stapled the $5 bill to the bar.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a room on the opposite side of the bar with a view of the ocean.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Pismo Beach, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2013

The owners of El Rey were great from the moment we walked up the steps. They were very welcoming and ready to serve. We arrived there after a 5+ hour drive and were pretty beat. Immediately we had refreshing drinks and wonderful food ready for us. The cook at El Rey is great. From something as simple as a margarita pizza to spicy Thai beef; it was all not just good, but great. Our room was simple, but nice and clean. We could see the waves from our hammock. Just walk across the road and you're on the beach. Just a short walk from great surf. Gustavo, who doubles as their bartender (makes a great cuba libre) is also an awesome surfer. He can give you lessons if you like, or if you already know how to surf, just ask him for advice on where to find waves at the right tide. We were lucky and had head-high swell our whole trip. Got to surf with Gustavo and he just straight shreds. The cook at El Rey was so gracious that he even prepared fish for us, at no cost, that we caught on a fishing expedition. On the fly he prepared us some wonderful mahi ceviche and another mahi main course since we scored 30+ pounds of mahi that same afternoon. They also cooked us mahi for breakfast the next morning. If we ever find ourselves back in Santa Teresa, we will definitely go back to El Rey. Also, if you really want to get in good with the owners, bring them beer. The husband loves IPAs and the wife really digs oatmeal/chocolate stouts. Beer in Costa Rica isn't so great and if you arrive with a couple bottles of quality beer for the hosts, you will no doubt be overwhelmingly compensated as a good IPA or stout in CR is almost impossible to find.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Lima, Peru
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2013

We didn't stay here but we ended up here on quite a few occasions- to eat and drink. It was the closest place to where we were staying at hermosal rentals and our hosts were friends of theirs. Lee and Jane are soo kind and hospitable. They are great fun and are very very welcoming. Their food is great and they put every effort into making you feel at home. We were treated to a lovely Christmas Dinner and enjoyed New Years there also. Thanks for being such friendly people Jane and Lee, you really added to our stay in Costa Rica!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Stockholm, Stockholms Län, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

Went there with my family, we all loved it! My Mom and Dad was relaxing on the beautiful beach and me and my sister where surfing. We recomend you to take a surflesson with Gustavo who is also working in the bar!
Lee and Jane was fantastic, great survice and made it feel lika home!
We all wanna go back!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

I don't think I can put into words the experience that my family and I had during our week at El Rey Patricio, but I'll try. We are a family of five with children 12, 10 and six. We stayed in the two bedroom, one bath cabina behind the main property. It was perfect for us. My husband and I had a queen bed and the children had bunk beds and a single in the adjoining room. We were lucky as that particular cabina has AC so we were very comfortable while sleeping. The front porch has perfect views of the ocean and a hammock for relaxing. On to the meals - everything was fantastic and so affordable compared to other restaurants in town. We should have eaten every meal there! Breakfast is perfect and Jane and Lee would basically make anything you wanted. Lee also handles lunch and the hummus sandwich was delish. My boys declared his cheeseburger the best they've ever had! All in all, everything we ate was great. About Jane and Lee - hands down the reason our trip was awesome. I don't know if it was the combination of the particular people staying that week or the amazing weather or the gorgeous setting or what but take all that, add Jane and Lee and we felt like we were at the most special place on earth. When we left I was struck that I may never see any of those people again as long as I live and, and while that was sad, I also felt so fortunate to have had that experience, for my kids to have had that experience. We could have stayed somewhere fancier (and much more expensive), but that's not what matters. What matters are the people you surround yourself with and Jane and Lee are two of the best. Maybe it's their job to take care of your every need (great conversation, meals, ziplining, surfboard and boogie boards, yoga, local culture, etc.), but they made us feel like we were their family. An unforgettable trip and unforgettable people.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family