“We will be back!!!!”

Ranked #1 of 27 Santa Teresa B&B and Inns
Traverse City, Michigan
“We will be back!!!!”
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Our expectations were truly high before we visited Santa Teresa and Canaima House. Juan Carlos and his outstanding staff easily exceeded our very high expectations. They assisted us with everything, they had great recommendations for our stay, they even arranged a hotel for our over night in San Jose so that we could make our flight the next morning. That hotel was also very comfortable. The Hotel is simple but has absolutely everything you need. The swinging beds were really cool to just relax on. The resident dogs, two german shepherds were really cool to have around. Howler monkeys visited in front of our room one afternoon, although you could hear them every day. The walk down to the beach to watch the stunning sunset every night was short and worth the five minute walk. The walk up the hill is pretty steep, we did end up renting a quad and I would highly recommend this as well. The quad rental place was close, recommended by Juan Carlos and inexpensive. It was an easy way to get to the top of the hill and around the area. If we could give the Chill House six stars we would, again, very, very pleased with everything there. We will be back!!!

Room Tip: The photos on the web site are very accurate. Use Juan Carlos to set up any of your adventures you w...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Carbondale, Colorado, United States
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Our family of three had a fantastic week at The Canaima Chill House. Two features sets this hotel apart from many others we have stayed at; 1. Exceptional customer service. The owner Juan Carlos and his girlfriend, entire staff and two dogs are just the best. Extremely helpful in every way, with any need you might have. It made our entire stay so much more fun and easy. 2. The design of the hotel has a very high cool factor. Set high up in the canopy of trees, you really have the feeling of staying in a real tree house. It is a rustic hotel, where water pressure and temperature in the shower sometimes is temperamental, but we did not mind at all, since we were so well taken care of and everything else was great. Best beach and restaurants are very close, but we definitely agree with Juan Carlos in regards to a rental car is very much preferred.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed March 27, 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights in March and we loved this place.
Yes, there is a big hill that we had to walk up and down each day, as we did not have a car, but it was worth the effort, and you get some good exercise. You get over it quickly.
Rooms are very cool with a large deck that has a sitting area and a crazy awesome hanging bed. Inside you have a small kichen with everything you need to cook if you don`t want to go out, a fairly comfy bed on the main floor, and a loft with two single beds. The bathroom has a shower that looks outside (private enough, but there is a curtain if you need it). There is a safe in the room, but no ac, which isn`t so bad, and kind of adds to the whole experience. (You do have a fan, and we also brought one of the two that are in the loft down.)
There are a few common areas that are great for relaxing, especially a round couch on a platform above the pool. The pool is wonderful, and much needed most days. There are many beautiful birds, especially humming birds, flying around, and as an added bonus, there is a howler monkey that hangs around quite a bit.
The owner is very nice and helpful, as are the front desk guys. We hired the owner to take my son and husband surfing one day, they had fun, and he is all about safety.
Some good restaurants include Habaneros for great Mexican food, and beautiful sunsets, Zwart Cafe for breakfast, and amazing salads, and a good pizza place at Manala Resort down the road.
Aside from surfing and swimming at the beach (which is fun in the waves, and safe if you stay fairly close to shore), we rented ATVs and went to Montezuma Falls. This was a fun day, but you should be an experienced (ATV) driver.
This place was reasonably priced and I would highly recommend it.
A small warning about the DUSTY road that is Santa Teresa, you might want to wear your sunglasses to keep the dirt from getting in your eyes and a scarf over your mouth when driving ATVs or walking, much better to walk along the beach.
If you are interested, read reviews about Casa Luna in La Fortuna, where we stayed before this, and Condotel las Cascadas in Quepos, where we stayed after this.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
London
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Such luxury for such a little price.

Beds comfy, grounds beautiful, balconys with swinging beds great too. Nice to have a kitchen.

Didn't struggle with the hill as we had a car, but we loved this place. Would return in a heartbeat. Would recommend to all.

Best place we stayed on our trip in CR.

Room Tip: Top floor room was lovely.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Peaceful and relaxing lots of nooks for napping. Great staff who helped us plan our travels. Annoyingly didn't take cards for payment so we had a massive trek to the bank but generally top notch. Th shill is a killer especially after a long days surfing but it was really nice.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Newark, New Jersey
Reviewed March 11, 2013

The 400 meter walk up is like a stairway to heaven- long but worth it! Hotel Canaima is simple, but beautiful. The room we had was eco-inspired, and stylish. Moreover, with the great food in Santa Teresa, I really believe that the walk up kept me from gaining 10 more lbs. throughout my stay in Santa Teresa. If you are the type who's really looking for a place to just sit and relax, you could always rent out an 4-wheel ATV around the area, which is well worth the price- it takes you up to Hotel Canaima, and you can have fun with it driving around the town.. plus feel cool about it and all. I believe riding an ATV should be part of the experience in Santa Teresa. The area is excellent; the beach is downhill, and is stunning!

Ricardo and Gonzalez were very accomodating receptionists- whatever questions I had, they were always able to help me- whether it was about where to eat or where to go drink and hangout at night. Juan Carlos, the owner, is very nice as well.. very genuine person. You can take up surfing lessons with him for an exclusive Hotel Canaima Rate; he teaches well and engages you approppriately with the level of skill you're at.

I stayed at Canaima with 3 others. We initially booked 3 nights, but then extened it for an extra night. I wish I could've extended it more for four more nights. Unfortunately, I already prebooked a place in Tamarindo which I paid for already. We stayed in Costa Rica for a total of ten days. When I come back, I'd go back to Hotel Canaima and just stay there in Santa Teresea for my whole trip.

-Mark Cimafranca, New Jersey

Room Tip: Get the loft for four people! Great Value!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed February 11, 2013

EVERYONE, I traveled to this hotel back when it was in it's infancy, back in 2009. Even then, this place was amazing. My uncle and I were traveling together and showed up in Santa Teresa with no where to stay. Bad planning. We did; however, find a hotel that recommended us to go to Canaima. JuanCarlos was so AWESOME. He stayed up until about midnight waiting for us to arrive. He catered to us and took very good care of us. This guy never stopped working the entire time we were there. If he wasn't building something, he was sweeping the street LOL. That was a nice day to come back to the hotel after a day at the beach to see JuanCarlos "sweeping" the street. The security in this place is great. I felt very safe with a patrol dog and secure front door that is locked in the evening. Also there were security cameras for extra protection. I never saw any violence in Costa Rica, but as with any foreign country, your things can be stolen at any time if you are not careful. Yes, the monkeys can be loud, but, hey, they are monkeys. This is what monkeys do. Also there are chickens and a whole world out there to hear. I loved it. A simple pair of earplugs and I slept like a baby. My uncle actually loved sleeping out on the swing on the porch. I woke up one morning and said, did you hear the monkeys and he says "what monkeys". LOL

This is the most amazing place and has been since the beginning. I have been back several times since then. JuanCarlos has done so much work and made this just a haven for peace and relaxation. Since my first visit they added so much, including a deck, jacuzzi, swimming pool and more. The people there are so nice and the community is very laid back and easy going. Take some surf lessons, ride a zipline, rent a four-wheeler, go for an adventure. This is the most amazing place. I love it. I miss it. I highly recommend this place for couples and for families. Even if you travel alone, this a wonderful place to relax, meet people or just take in nature. I cannot say enough about this place or this town. Just pack your things and go. You will not want to go home.

PS To the people that review that it's hot here and that they had to walk and the monkeys were loud, etc... You really should book an all-inclusive resort. This place is not for you. I should mention, however, that JuanCarlos could probably work in unlimited Gin Tonics into the deal. They are the best!! LOL

Room Tip: Book early, this place is very popular and gets filled up quick. Call JuanCarlos in advance if you...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends