“My favorite stay!!”

Canaima Chill House
Ranked #1 of 27 Santa Teresa B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 9, 2013

The walk up to Canaima was steep, but when you got in the door you were fill with calm!
The room/ apartment was beautiful :) The guys at the reception was very helpful.
The calm that was around the house was impressing. Juan Carlos gave great surf lessons quite cheep compared to the others in "town".
I will definitely stay here again! It was worth every penny :)

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed December 16, 2012

Canaima is like staying at a magical, rainforest treehouse and your good friends guest room at the same time. It's gorgeous yet intimate and peaceful, and Juan Carlos is an amazing host. His passion is contagious and inspiring. Santa Teresa is a must-see in Costa Rica - a great place to relax and have some fun in the sun. Alma was our favourite restaurant. They make the best mojito! I would love to go back one day.

Paulina and Scott

P.S. We got engaged while in Santa Teresa! Couldn't have picked a lovlier place.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 12, 2012

I can't rate this place enough. Not only are the rooms beautiful; but the staff were absolute heroes all week. Their advice and warm welcome was excellent. The rooms are beautiful. When I stupidly lost the key to our car rental they bent over backwards to help me solve the issue; helping me deal with the rather tricky rental company (Alamo- I do not recomend).

It has high end style in an authentic and rustic setting.

Having walked thru many other places as well I can honestly say this is the absolute best place to stay.

Thank you so much!!

Charlie M and Kate T

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 24, 2012

I spent a whole week of summer at Canaima with my brother J, it was a long flight and then a bus and ferry to get to Santa Teresa, we were exhausted but when we arrived to the Hotel we had no question about choosing the right spot and the right place to stay! I was looking for a chill place to enjoy nature and disconnect from London´s hectic lifestyle while my brother wanted a place next to the a 'breath taking' beach to surf as much as possible. @Canaima we found that and much more, few hotels around the world has that unique style. Rooms are huge, amazing views from the cost and sea, owners are friendly and always willing to help, clean, safe, lots of small architectural details made out of stone and bamboo, hanging beds in the large terraces and a hot tub surrounded by Santa Teresa wildest nature! Definitely a place I would recommend to friends, family and colleagues.
Matias

Room Tip: We had one of the rooms on the first floor, as far as I remember there are 4 rooms per floor, the on...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 21, 2012

I will come back sure!! Close to the Beach, and very beautifull hotel!!! It has been a nice experience.
I was there with my wife for a week and it was our first time in Costa Rica and visit other places, But the beach of santa Teresa Its one of the most beautifull of the country

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed November 21, 2012

I celebrate my birthday with friends And family. I will never forget this increible hotel and vacations.
Location close to nature and the beach.
Confortable and clean room and bathroom.
Incredible the nights and the Jacuzzi :-)
Hope I can be back Soon.

Awesome! Thank again Canaima!
Samuel

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed November 13, 2012

We were excited to stay here because of the TA ratings and the lovely pictures. The sad truth of this place is that, while it still looks very nice, it is waaayyyyy up the mountain. The climb is extremely steep which isnt that bad if you're up for a big workout every time you go back to your place but it is extremely inconvenient. Packing a full day bag every time you leave is not very fun...especially since it means that someone has to watch it while you're in the water. Furthermore, the sound proofing in the hotel is awful. We could hear people's conversations even if they were talking softly... not the right place if you want romantic privacy... or any privacy for that matter. Most of the time we had to whisper so not to disturb our neighbors... or let them in on our conversations.

We elected to leave after 2 days of this torture... and the owner would not refund any money even though it was peak season and lots of people were around looking for rooms.. all in all it was a terrible experience and i would not recommend this place.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
canaimachillhouse, Owner at Canaima Chill House, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2012

Dear guest,

First of all, we are very sorry to hear that your stay didn't go as good as you planned it. We apologise for the inconveniences.

I just wanted to suggest that when you are travelling and booking a hotel, you should get informed about where exactly the place is located. We do give precise directions on our website and acknowledge our future clients about the hill recommending them to rent all track vehicle. And if indeed you read our reviews on Trip Advisor, as you mentioned it, many of our guests talk about the hill and give their own recommendations. So it shouldn't have been a surprise.

About the noises and privacy, it is the location up the hill that keeps us away from the main noisy dusty road and town, making Canaima Chill House a magical place where outside the rooms the sounds of the nature and our sounds travel easily. The building of the hotel itself was built with anti-seismic walls, which are thick and resistant, which also make them soundproof. The outdoor decks are indeed outside, open to the jungle, and only a bamboo curtain separate one deck to the other - just like shown in our pictures.

About not returning your deposit, if you read our cancellation policy, we should have charged you the amount of your entire reserved stay, BUT we only charged you the days you stayed with us no more.

Once again, we want to apologise for not making your stay as you expected.

Pura Vida