Gumbo Limbo Villas
Manala Hotel(Santa Teresa)(Great Value!)
$100
Savings alert! 12% below average rates

The price you found is 12% lower than this hotel's average rate of $114/night.

$229
$215
Villas Solar(Santa Teresa)(Great Value!)
$110
$85
$82
Otro Lado Lodge and Restaurant(Santa Teresa)(Great Value!)
$68
Hotwire.com
Blue Surf Sanctuary(Santa Teresa)
$110
Hotel Tropico Latino(Santa Teresa)
$135
Florblanca Resort(Santa Teresa)
$388
Fuego Lodge(Santa Teresa)
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed November 29, 2009

My husband and I spent a week at Gumbo Limbo along with four of our friends. The trip was amazing and Gumbo Limbo was nothing short of incredible. The town is situated along a dirt road which can get quite hectic and dusty. Gumbo Limbo is located above the chaos, tucked away onto a mountain top. Gumbo Limbo's location offers a tranquil setting and an AMAZING ocean view. The hotel is very quaint, truly a boutique hotel setting. It was perfect for our group of six as we were able to lounge by the pool all day, play cards at the restaurant and enjoy cocktails in the hammocks. Sonny and Michelli, the owners, are fantastic. They are mellow and friendly, and make you instantly feel at home. They are knowledgeable about the town and full of suggestions of things to do on your trip. They have truly created a great sanctuary in Gumbo Limbo. Lastly, the restaurant on site is delicious! We ate there three of the nights mostly because we all wanted to sample something different from the menu and we were never disappointed. Our goal is to make Gumbo Limbo a yearly tradition; we can't wait to go back! Cheers, Ashley and Mike (San Diego)

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 26, 2009

The room was lovely, the view was lovely, the food was good and we were made to feel at home. The location, although a relative hike to the beach, is perfectly situated away from the stifling heat and mosquitoes. It's not every day you can say that you lay by the pool with monkeys in the trees around you. Thanks Sunny and Michaele.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 6, 2009

A dirt road travels through the small town of Santa Theresa which is inhabited by backpackers, surf tourists, and locals all sharing one common element, "pura vida." Gumbo Limbo is situated on top of a small mountain that provides its guests with some of the best views I have ever seen in Costa Rica. The boutique style hotel is blessed with elevated panoramic views that stretch from the beaches of Mal Pais to Hermosa Beach. It took 10 minutes to walk to and from the beach and it makes for great exercise. I stayed in the large "Villa Indio" which had living room, outdoor shower, and separate bedroom with king size bed. The outdoor shower was a amazing with views of mountain tree tops in the national forest. The hotel is very quiet and relaxing since it is elevated so high above the town. I would recommend this place to anyone and I'm definitely coming back ASAP!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 24, 2009

Gumbo Limbo is up in the tree tops, above the surf town of Santa Teresa. It is surrounded in trees and is right next to a nature preserve. Due to it's mountain lanscape, it gets you up above the street noise, dust and into pure peacefulness! Where else can you float in a run-off pool, under the largest Gumbo Limbo tree around and check the surf....oh did I mention monkeys swing by from time to time? It's an experience that is hard to discribe. There is so much to do close by, tide pools, waterfalls, Cabo Blanco nature preserve and even ride horses on the beach! Gumbo Limbo is highly recommended, if you need a break from it all, get away at Gumbo Limo. The staff is super friendly and helpful!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 24, 2009

I've been travelling to Costa Rica once or twice a year for fifteen years. In the past, I've always travelled with buddies, usually on surfing missions and have explored the better part of the Pacific side of the country. Now that I'm married with a 3-year old daughter, I was looking for accomodations that were clean, hospitable, safe for children and romantic for my wife and me.

I've been opting for the Santa Teresa/Mal Pais area for the last few years, due to it's plethora of good surf, proximity to Montezuma's waterfalls and culture and it's decidedly cosmopolitan feel (i.e. There are more Argentinians, Italians, Spaniards and Israelis than Americans in this area, which is a good thing in my book).

This was my first stay at Gumbo Limbo Villas, a new "boutique" hotel operated by an American (Sonny Redding) and his Italian partner Michaeli (sp?). Perched in the hillside above Santa Teresa, Gumbo Limbo not only has a commanding view of the oceanfront (and surf breaks) along this stretch of coast, but is also seemingly immune to the heat and dust found amongst the numerous hotels along the town's main (and only) road.

We stayed in the master villa, Villa Indio, a two-bedroom suite with a private outdoor shower and bathroom and a beautiful infinity pool overlooking the town's soccer and baseball field. All of the doors in Villa Indio fold open to maximize the indoor-outdoor feeling. A flat screen TV on the wall with built-in DVD player kept our daughter occupied before bedtime and although there was no A/C, we never found it necessary, due to the cool breeze on top of the hill (I'm guessing that the air is cooled as it moves through the dense foliage on the way up). Both rooms had fans and the master bedroom had a large and comfortable bed, while the "living room" had a comfortable futon couch and another couch that you could easily sleep on. The master bedroom also featured a safe big enough for a laptop and my Canon EOS 20-D, as well as wallets, passports, iPods, etc.

The in-house restaurant, Nona Teresa was a daily hangout and the boys served up some wonderful meals, including fish tacos and pasta bolognese.

In short, we had a great experience at Gumbo Limbo and I will be returning to stay in December. Guests should be aware that Gumbo Limbo is on top of the hill up a private road, so although not necessary, a rental car or ATV is recommended (both can be rented in town or nearby Cobano). Also, the property is terraced and I counted 65 steps from the restaurant to Villa Indio, so be prepared to get a little quad workout (I was huffing and puffing on day one, but by day three I was clambering up the steps as if it was old hat).

I'd encourage potential guests to visit Gumbo Limbo's website at http://www.gumbolimbocr.com or to contact Sonny by phone at [--] or email at [--]. He was truly one of the nicest, friendliest and most hospitable proprietors I've ever come across.

Pura Vida!

p.s. The reason that I only gave Gumbo Limbo 4 out of 5 for cleanliness is that this is, after all, Costa Rica. Bugs and lizards are the true locals!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family