All reviews loft room costa rica shared kitchen swimming pool quiet location great kitchen breakfast included common areas great advice air conditioning mal pais martin barbara hostel supermarket surf beach
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Great place, nice location! Ideal to surf even for beginner like myself. A very good surf instructer can be booked at the reception. If you're there, you should absolutely organise go visit and surf at Playa Hermosa. It's one of the prettiest beaches I've ever seen: palm trees, perfect waves, nice sand, lots of little crabs everywhere.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank SamySultanZ
Reviewed March 28, 2013

I stayed in 9 places in 19 days but Cuesta Arriba was my favorite hostel for its helpful staff and amenities. I rented a surfboard and rash vest, enjoyed their pool and had a surreal first time trying yoga in their common area. The free toast and coffee breakfast was also a great way to start the mornings. The staff were excellent helping me plan my stay (we got a great rate on ATV rentals nearby) and shuttling out. I appreciated the peace and tranquility about the place as I've come to really dislike obnoxious party hostels. Oh and the beach is a stone's throw from the main gate! The only downside might have been that the grocer and ATM were a good hike up the road. Overall, highly recommended.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed February 17, 2013

We stood there for one week and we really liked the time there.
The staff is very nice and friendly. They have a clean and well-equipped kitchen. The rooms are very nice and the bathrooms are clean. They have only cold water but that is not a problem, because it is very warm there. The pool is clean and nice and you can relax in the hammocks.
It is a 5 minute-walk to the beautifull beach. A supermarket and a soda are very close by. But it is a long distance to the city center. You can rent bikes there.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 14, 2013

I had stayed at Cuesta Arriba Hotel for three days and I wish I could have stayed much longer. This hotel is reasonably priced especially for what they offer. They are just down the road from the beach, local eateries and have a great atmosphere. The rooms are spacious and very clean and the owners are extremely helpful. I had issues with my transportation and the couple who owned this hotel went out of their way to help me make my flight back home. They also have 24 hour surf board rentals and everyone staying here was very friendly. The beach and water are absolutely beautiful and there are some great local night life spots close by. I highly recommend this place to anyone looking to be by the beach and feel as though they are not in a completely Americanized town.

Room Tip: All the rooms and bathrooms were very clean and spacious.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Erin O
Reviewed February 14, 2013

i personally did not like this hostel, which is what is a hostel. it is clean and safe but the people there are so particular that you feel like you're staying with your family friends and you have to be on your p's and q's the whole time. some friends of ours came to visit in the afternoon and the lady was so rude because they were not staying there. she practically kicked them out. it was the middle of the afternoon. i could have understood if it was 11pm and they were ready to lock up and we were making noise. it was 4pm and we were chilling by the pool after surfing. some other people that were staying there had issues like that too. one guy put his stuff on an extra bed and the lady made him pay to do extra laundry. seriously? take a chill pill. i wouldn't recommend this place to anyone. it's also way at the end of the road. so if you want to be nearer the action probably not the best place. it is nice rooms and a beautiful set up, but really not worth it for a few nights.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
cuestaarriba, Owner at Cuesta Arriba Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2013

Dear Customer,
We are sad to read that you did not find the hotel to your suiting and that you were uncomfortable during your stay. We charge $15USD per night so that our guests can relax with the knowledge that they have pool use, Wi-Fi, and a large communal kitchen to use at their pleasure. As a courtesy to our guests we don’t allow visitors to use our pool. We kindly ask visitors to leave the premises as some guests may find this an invasion of their privacy in the hotel. Alike with every hotel in town, we do not allow visitors to use our facilities also due to safety reasons and you will find that our policy states this clearly.
As we explained on the review below, when staying in a dormitory room, it is unusual for people to use a free bed. Due to the bed being reserved, it was vital that the client had fresh sheets. On this occasion, the bed had been used and the sheets were marked and full of sand by the group in question. Upon arriving to a hotel, how would you feel finding dirty sheets on your bed? No one would find this acceptable within the traveling community so the group had to take responsibility for their actions. In this instance, the gentleman in question may have been the party leader. If this was the case, he would have taken responsibility for the groups actions.
As for our location, we are situated 100m away from La Lora Beach break, 200m from a supermarket, and surrounded by amazing restaurants. At Cuesta Arriba you get the best of worlds, good nightlife, surrounded by restaurants and shops, but still a quiet surfer area.