All reviewsloft roomcosta ricashared kitchenswimming poolquiet locationgreat kitchenbreakfast includedcommon areasgreat adviceair conditioningmal paismartinbarbarahostelsupermarketsurfbeach
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Great location, just minutes from the beach, restaurants, surf school, board rentals, and supermarket. Exceptionally clean rooms, bathrooms, and shared public spaces. Very comfortable bed, "real mattresses" are rare in Costa Rica hostels. Also offer a beautiful pool; a nice option when beach sun/fun has played itself out for the day. Laundry service on location with quick turnaround a plus.
Barbara and Martin are truly wonderful people; very friendly and helpful answering questions, making reservations, booking transportation, etc. Their staff are equally outstanding. Spent nearly three weeks there and loved it.
Book early during the high season because they are frequently sold out, which is no surprise at all because Cuesta Arriba is the best hostel EVER!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed January 10, 2013

The atmosphere is very relaxing and in a good location. The rooms are clean and the community facilities are well maintained. The swimming pool is a bonus. Close walk to the beach, restuarants and supermarket. Great price, you definetely get more than what you pay for. I suggest trying the Yoga. I did it for the first time and it was good. More of a workout than I expected. I will be back! Barbara, Martin, and the rest of the staff are really nice people. You have to go to Cuesta Arriba!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Nice, clean rooms, great community kitchen. Very nice and helpful owners. Close to beach...just perfect! Great pool, not too much of a party place but perfect if you like to rise early. Not a surfer but ended up staying 3 nights because it was so relaxing.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 10, 2013

I imediately extended my stay here, what a magical place to be, not just for the short walk to a beautiful beach but becase of these very nice people. I felt very welcome here and everything was very clean and proper man. The kitchen here was very nice and I am a chef so I will say this one is awesome and has the best fridge of any hostel that I stayed at for my five week tour in CR. I was here for six days and I had to force myself to leave. I am lucky to have stayed here. The pool is awesome man and it is a great place to read and write. There are iguanas by the pool and the whole area around this hostel is very well kept and beautiful gardens. I sent pics back home right away and my friends and family thought that I was already at my jungle destination! The staff here work all day keeping things very nice and proper and I was very impressed with that. I never needed a hot shower in Santa Teresa, it's hot there man so I did not mind the cold water. Dont worry, just shower when it is the heat of the day and your fine. This is a good and secure place to stay as well. It is away from all of the party noise and that was perfect for me as I prefer to write. I don't care to hang out all night in the bar scene of a surf town. This was the perfect place for me and I am going to return here again this year in December of this year. Remember to not put paper into the toilets here. Also there is great food right next door here and the groceries are very close by so it is very convenient to find foods to cook in this great kitchen. I think that my writing changed here at this place and I was finding myself relaxed and very happy. Thank you Barbara and Martin for siging my journal and I shall return there!
Pura Vida
Paul

Room Tip: Ant room here will give you a magical experience by this beach.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed January 1, 2013

We definitely can not recommend staying at Cuesta Arriba, as we did not feel welcome at all at this place. My girlfriend and I booked a room in advance for christmas and wired a $ 100 deposit via paypal. We arrived separately, at Cuesta Arriba. When I arrived at the hostel after a 36 hour trip from Germany, I was neither greeted properly nor shown around the place. The first thing I was asked was to settle the remaining $ 200 bill for the entire stay. I offered to pay my share of the bill upfront, which they did not want. When my girlfriend arrived, we were immediatly ordered to the reception. As my girlfriend did not want to carry around too much cash, we couldnt settle the bill immediatly but offered to go to the ATM the same night, having dinner plans in the city. I would never have expected this to be a problem, however we were threatened to be kick out (it was christmas the next day!!!) if we did not go to the ATM immediately (30 mins walk down the dirt road). After some negotiation, we were allowed to pay by 11 am the next day (sharp!).

This was one of the craziest things I have ever experienced in many years of traveling. I am an honest person who treats other people friendly, open and with respect. Unfortunately, the owners of Cuesta Arriba an their staff do not seem to think along those line (Martin, one of the owners, appears to be the only exception)

Joyous about avoiding eviction by paying the same night, we spent a nice christmas at the beach. So Santa Teresa, YES, Cuesta Arriba, NO!!!

• Stayed: December 2012
cuestaarriba, Owner at Cuesta Arriba Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2013

Dear Visitors we were very surprised to read your review, and quite frankly rather shocked by all the false information you’re stating. That being said we would like to tell our side of the story. Your girlfriend made a booking with us in August from the 19th to the 25th of December. Our hotel reservation policy was then sent to her which she agreed by paying the reservation deposit (It states clearly in our policy that you should pay the remainder of your bill upon arrival). On Dec 19th you arrived separately and explained to us that you had no money and that your girlfriend would be paying the balance upon her arrival, since she was the one that had made the reservation we found this to be reasonable. So without getting any payment from you, we showed you around and took you to your room. Two days later Dec 21st, your girlfriend arrived but not to the reception she went straight to the room and out within 5 minutes. Few hours later and still not checking back with us we couldn’t help but to feel at this time very suspicious. Note: When you arrive at any hotel around the world the first thing you do is to check in at the reception and provide your personal information and proof of payment, this was not the case with this traveler. Later that night we decided to leave a note in your front door to please check back with us. We are so sorry if this note offended you and triggered this bad review, but since we had the room ready for you when you arrived, we also expected you to do the same with your payment.
Cuesta Arriba Hotel has been operating for 8 years now and will continue to do so with the same energy and good spirits since day one. We appreciate any feedback from our guests, as long as it is honest. It helps our business to grow and provide a better service in the future.