All reviewsloft roomcosta ricashared kitchenswimming poolquiet locationgreat kitchenbreakfast includedcommon areasgreat adviceair conditioningmal paismartinbarbarahostelsupermarketsurfbeach
Reviewed January 1, 2013

We definitely can not recommend staying at Cuesta Arriba, as we did not feel welcome at all at this place. My girlfriend and I booked a room in advance for christmas and wired a $ 100 deposit via paypal. We arrived separately, at Cuesta Arriba. When I arrived at the hostel after a 36 hour trip from Germany, I was neither greeted properly nor shown around the place. The first thing I was asked was to settle the remaining $ 200 bill for the entire stay. I offered to pay my share of the bill upfront, which they did not want. When my girlfriend arrived, we were immediatly ordered to the reception. As my girlfriend did not want to carry around too much cash, we couldnt settle the bill immediatly but offered to go to the ATM the same night, having dinner plans in the city. I would never have expected this to be a problem, however we were threatened to be kick out (it was christmas the next day!!!) if we did not go to the ATM immediately (30 mins walk down the dirt road). After some negotiation, we were allowed to pay by 11 am the next day (sharp!).

This was one of the craziest things I have ever experienced in many years of traveling. I am an honest person who treats other people friendly, open and with respect. Unfortunately, the owners of Cuesta Arriba an their staff do not seem to think along those line (Martin, one of the owners, appears to be the only exception)

Joyous about avoiding eviction by paying the same night, we spent a nice christmas at the beach. So Santa Teresa, YES, Cuesta Arriba, NO!!!

• Stayed: December 2012
cuestaarriba, Owner at Cuesta Arriba Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2013

Dear Visitors we were very surprised to read your review, and quite frankly rather shocked by all the false information you’re stating. That being said we would like to tell our side of the story. Your girlfriend made a booking with us in August from the 19th to the 25th of December. Our hotel reservation policy was then sent to her which she agreed by paying the reservation deposit (It states clearly in our policy that you should pay the remainder of your bill upon arrival). On Dec 19th you arrived separately and explained to us that you had no money and that your girlfriend would be paying the balance upon her arrival, since she was the one that had made the reservation we found this to be reasonable. So without getting any payment from you, we showed you around and took you to your room. Two days later Dec 21st, your girlfriend arrived but not to the reception she went straight to the room and out within 5 minutes. Few hours later and still not checking back with us we couldn’t help but to feel at this time very suspicious. Note: When you arrive at any hotel around the world the first thing you do is to check in at the reception and provide your personal information and proof of payment, this was not the case with this traveler. Later that night we decided to leave a note in your front door to please check back with us. We are so sorry if this note offended you and triggered this bad review, but since we had the room ready for you when you arrived, we also expected you to do the same with your payment.
Cuesta Arriba Hotel has been operating for 8 years now and will continue to do so with the same energy and good spirits since day one. We appreciate any feedback from our guests, as long as it is honest. It helps our business to grow and provide a better service in the future.

Reviewed December 22, 2012

Cuesta Arriba is a bit farther down the strip than other Santa Teresa hostels, but the rooms are spacious and you have individual lockers in the room you can use (you need to bring a small lock or you can buy one at the hostel for $4). This is what I would call a grown up hostel--it's not party central--people are respectful and go to bed early and surf early morning. They offer yoga classes and the instructor is very good and absolutely adorable! I highly recommend this hostel. If you're staying in the dorm, keep in mind that the showers are cold. I talked to someone in a private room and he said his showers were warm. I stayed 4 nights and the owners are very nice. I watched a movie in the lounge with some other hostel people and it was just laid back and cool. Breakfast consists of two pieces of toast, jam, and coffee. Not exciting but it worked for me.

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed December 17, 2012

One of the better hostels I've spent time at. I spent several days here and the owners were very helpful and enjoyable to talk to. Good kitchen area and lots of tables for people staying at the hostel. Open atmosphere made it easy to meet people. A bit of a walk to some of the more busy areas in Santa Teresa. Close access to the beach which was nice for surfing. I am going to stay here again on my next visit to Santa Teresa! There is a really awesome restaurant next door if your not into cooking that much. It was decently priced for what you get! Big Meals and good!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed December 14, 2012

I wasn't expecting much as I'd been staying in hostels for most of my trip, but Cuesta Arriba was amazing!

Right across from the path to the beach with a great beach break super close. The room was super nice and clean. The pool was great.

The best part about Cuesta Arriba was the people. Good people and a good vibe. The owners, Barbara and Martin, and the employees, Charlotte and James, where very accommodating and very nice. Martin even came and got me when I was running late for my taxi to the airport. Charlotte was awesome! She booked reservations for us at local restaurants, scheduled taxis, and even waxed surfboards for me when I was renting one.

Any time I'm in Santa Teresa I know where I'll be staying :)

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed December 10, 2012

we really enjoyed our stay at th Cuesta Arriba. the room was nice (even if it smelled a little mouldy), we had an air conditioning, everything was super- clean, the pool is an highlight, the team is friendly and helpful, the beach access is only over the road.
the only thing is: its really far away from "the center" of the village. if you don't have an atv or bike, be prepared to walk about 40 minutes to the bank on the really dusty street.
but all- together is it a great place to stay.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple