All reviews loft room costa rica shared kitchen swimming pool quiet location great kitchen breakfast included common areas great advice air conditioning mal pais martin barbara hostel supermarket surf beach
Reviewed December 22, 2012

Cuesta Arriba is a bit farther down the strip than other Santa Teresa hostels, but the rooms are spacious and you have individual lockers in the room you can use (you need to bring a small lock or you can buy one at the hostel for $4). This is what I would call a grown up hostel--it's not party central--people are respectful and go to bed early and surf early morning. They offer yoga classes and the instructor is very good and absolutely adorable! I highly recommend this hostel. If you're staying in the dorm, keep in mind that the showers are cold. I talked to someone in a private room and he said his showers were warm. I stayed 4 nights and the owners are very nice. I watched a movie in the lounge with some other hostel people and it was just laid back and cool. Breakfast consists of two pieces of toast, jam, and coffee. Not exciting but it worked for me.

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed December 17, 2012

One of the better hostels I've spent time at. I spent several days here and the owners were very helpful and enjoyable to talk to. Good kitchen area and lots of tables for people staying at the hostel. Open atmosphere made it easy to meet people. A bit of a walk to some of the more busy areas in Santa Teresa. Close access to the beach which was nice for surfing. I am going to stay here again on my next visit to Santa Teresa! There is a really awesome restaurant next door if your not into cooking that much. It was decently priced for what you get! Big Meals and good!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed December 14, 2012

I wasn't expecting much as I'd been staying in hostels for most of my trip, but Cuesta Arriba was amazing!

Right across from the path to the beach with a great beach break super close. The room was super nice and clean. The pool was great.

The best part about Cuesta Arriba was the people. Good people and a good vibe. The owners, Barbara and Martin, and the employees, Charlotte and James, where very accommodating and very nice. Martin even came and got me when I was running late for my taxi to the airport. Charlotte was awesome! She booked reservations for us at local restaurants, scheduled taxis, and even waxed surfboards for me when I was renting one.

Any time I'm in Santa Teresa I know where I'll be staying :)

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed December 10, 2012

we really enjoyed our stay at th Cuesta Arriba. the room was nice (even if it smelled a little mouldy), we had an air conditioning, everything was super- clean, the pool is an highlight, the team is friendly and helpful, the beach access is only over the road.
the only thing is: its really far away from "the center" of the village. if you don't have an atv or bike, be prepared to walk about 40 minutes to the bank on the really dusty street.
but all- together is it a great place to stay.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 5, 2012

Of course all hostels have their goods and bads but I have little to complain about at the Cuesta arriba. The prices are fairly competitive with the area and it's CLEAN. Our first night in Santa Teresa, the first hostel we went to was closed for construction. We walked to a second, stayed two nights, hesitantly. Mostly because we loved the people we met there. It was filthy. Moldy pillow. Disgusting. Ps it's called minihostel but there's no trip advisor for it.

Anyways back to Cuesta, overall nice atmosphere. The staff was very helpful and approachable. Clean clean. Sweet pool. Outside shower. Dorms are pleasant. Hammocks. Tv. Iguanas everywhere. Only thing is beware that walking into town or to local places is required...the Cuesta arriba is set at the end of town.

Only complaint. Three dollar fresh towels?! That's a bit much.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple