All reviewsloft roomcosta ricashared kitchenswimming poolquiet locationgreat kitchenbreakfast includedcommon areasgreat adviceair conditioningmal paismartinbarbarahostelsupermarketsurfbeach
Reviewed December 14, 2012

I wasn't expecting much as I'd been staying in hostels for most of my trip, but Cuesta Arriba was amazing!

Right across from the path to the beach with a great beach break super close. The room was super nice and clean. The pool was great.

The best part about Cuesta Arriba was the people. Good people and a good vibe. The owners, Barbara and Martin, and the employees, Charlotte and James, where very accommodating and very nice. Martin even came and got me when I was running late for my taxi to the airport. Charlotte was awesome! She booked reservations for us at local restaurants, scheduled taxis, and even waxed surfboards for me when I was renting one.

Any time I'm in Santa Teresa I know where I'll be staying :)

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed December 10, 2012

we really enjoyed our stay at th Cuesta Arriba. the room was nice (even if it smelled a little mouldy), we had an air conditioning, everything was super- clean, the pool is an highlight, the team is friendly and helpful, the beach access is only over the road.
the only thing is: its really far away from "the center" of the village. if you don't have an atv or bike, be prepared to walk about 40 minutes to the bank on the really dusty street.
but all- together is it a great place to stay.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 5, 2012

Of course all hostels have their goods and bads but I have little to complain about at the Cuesta arriba. The prices are fairly competitive with the area and it's CLEAN. Our first night in Santa Teresa, the first hostel we went to was closed for construction. We walked to a second, stayed two nights, hesitantly. Mostly because we loved the people we met there. It was filthy. Moldy pillow. Disgusting. Ps it's called minihostel but there's no trip advisor for it.

Anyways back to Cuesta, overall nice atmosphere. The staff was very helpful and approachable. Clean clean. Sweet pool. Outside shower. Dorms are pleasant. Hammocks. Tv. Iguanas everywhere. Only thing is beware that walking into town or to local places is required...the Cuesta arriba is set at the end of town.

Only complaint. Three dollar fresh towels?! That's a bit much.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Greeneggsnjamon
Reviewed December 1, 2012

My friend and I shared a private room here. There was a double sized bed and a twin bed. We shared a bathroom with another private room. The bathroom was not connected to the rooms, which was nice.
We came to Santa Teresa on a recommendation from some locals. We originally planned to only stay one night, but decided to stay 3 after getting here! It took us eleven (11!!) hours to get here from La Fortuna on the jeep-boat-jeep shuttle, ferry, public bus, and taxi. We were so happy when we finally arrived here to such a peaceful place only a few minute walk away from the ocean, that we didn't want to leave.
The owners were SO nice and helpful, I wish I could have gotten to know them better. The pool was amazing- so clean and quiet. The rooms, bathroom, and kitchen were nice, too. Anyone complaining about "only" receiving FREE toast and coffee should go home. It was nice to wake up every morning to free toast and coffee!
My ONLY complaint was the bathroom that we shared really smelled. It's smell was more than likely a result of Costa Rica's sewer system than by the fault of the hostel, but this bathroom could have greatly benefited from a fan and/or air freshener! Other than that, I'd totally go back!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 20, 2012

In my nearly 2 months of travel I´ve come back to this place 3 times and stayed close to 3 weeks total. very relaxed place. Nice kitchen and common areas. Owners are super helpful and friendly along with the staff. I slept well each night. The surf is located across the road another 150 yards and your on a beautiful pristine beach with consistent beach break with good vibes. My favortie hostel so far in my travels.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo